The Upside: North Carolina (football) | Syracusefan.com

The Upside: North Carolina (football)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- First it was scary bad. Then it was competitive. Then we were dominant. Then everything fell apart. Then it was hopeless. Then we had hope. Then our hopes were dashed. Then we had hope again. Then we tied it up. Then we had a chance to win it. Then came disaster. Except it wasn’t. Then we took the lead. Then we lost it. Then we fell behind. Then we won it. Were you not entertained?

- It was basically the Pitt game all over again but this time we won.

- A couple of young sports radio hosts in the area spent the week talking about how terrible North Carolina was and predicting we’d beat them easily. A couple of young sports radio hosts in the area need to do better research. This team went 10-3 in 2015 and gave Clemson all they could handle in the conference title game. They had a solid follow-up with an 8-5 record. Last year they lost 18 guys for the season due to injury and this year they have had 13 guys suspended. They gained over 500 yards vs. Virginia Tech and would have won that game except for a late fumble at the goal line. Dino Babers said they had many players on their roster we had wanted to recruit but we lost out to the Heels on them. This was a good team and this was a good win.

- One talk radio subject was whether this was a “must” game or not. Steve Infanti on orange Nation felt that a “must” win is a game that would mathematically eliminate you from achieving a goal if you lost it. OK, but you have to win games like today’s game to avoid ‘must’ wins. I’ll borrow a line from politics and call this a ‘swing game’. Our season is much more likely to be a successful season that really gets the momentum of the program going because we won this game while, if we had lost it, we would have still another discouraging losing streak that could have destroyed the season. And this season is vitally important to the program. After four straight losing seasons, we need to get going. And now we can, because we won this one. People may not remember this wind as a key one in the program’s history in years to come but I think it may have been.

- Tommy DeVito wasn’t perfect and he can’t run the ball the way Eric Dungey can. But he can make throws Dungey can’t. We would surely have lost it Dino didn’t make the switch. The place was dead and it came alive when Tommy threw that long one to Custis. And the ball he laid over the shoulder and into the hands of Nykeim Johnson was the most beautiful pass of the season. He’s still learning. He was the victim of a faked blitz on that interception. But he will learn and only get better. I think Dungey will continue to start for now but Babers won’t hesitate to go to Touchdown Tommy if Eric falters.

- Jamal Custis had 168 receiving yards and two TDs against Western Michigan and it seemed like he was finally ready to take advantage of his size and skills and become our primary receiver the way Amba Etta Tawo and Steve Ismael had been. In the five subsequent games, he had 262 yards and 1 score. In this game he had 162 yards and a tough catch in overtime for a score. he again looked like the #1 guy.

- Every time we got in the red zone. I shouted “Throw it to Pierce!” They finally did.

- Moe Neal had a frustrating game. he looked like he was off to the races when he ran over an official, (who will see #21 coming at him in his dreams). Then he fumbled away a major scoring opportunity after we’d gotten a big turnover. But he had 66 yards rushing in 8 carries, an 8.25 yard average.

- In the post-game show Julian Whigham was asked to name the defensive player of the game. He chose Ifeatu Melifonwu, who had replaced the injured Chris Fredrick and been assigned to the Heels big threat, Anthony Ratliff-Williams and, with Frederick, held him to 8.8 yards per catch and kept him out of the end zone. In a post-game interview, iffy said he’d studied film of AR-W and saw that he like to bolt form the line immediately and that he was ready for that. And he knew that an early ‘stop’ route was to set up a “stop and go” route and he was ready for it. The guy’s not just a stud athlete. He understands the game.

- Ryan Guthrie led the team with a dozen tackles, 1.5 for a loss. He also recovered the fumble that seemed to set us up for that late score than Neal fumbled away.

- Andre Cisco was second with 9 tackles and forced that fumble. He was in about every play when we were keeping them out of the end zone at the end of the game.

- The defense gave up 500 yards and looked really bad at times. But when we absolutely need to them to make big plays at the end of the game, they did it.

- We didn’t fade at the end of this one.

- It was good to see Dungey, after he’d been replaced by DeVito, standing on the sidelines, cheering his team on. Where would we have been these last four years without him?

5-2 with 5+ to go.

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
Sanity is so rare on this board that I don't know what to do when I read it.

Well, as long as you still recognize it when you read it, then you're in good shape at least!

the hustle to stop the long UNC rate late and led to a FG was huge..

I agree with JW. Ifeatu Melifonwu, in my opinion, played a great game - particularly in the second half. Midway through the first half I heard coach Ward challenge him to get up on his man and "don't play him like he can run by you". He did so, and seemed to be in excellent position on most of the throws at his man. He also made a quick reaction on a pass in the flat where he exploded to the receiver and had a solid TFL. His length is impressive, and I think he really got a shot of confidence today. Hopefully more to come.

One more random thought - not sure if was already mentioned, but Shy Cullen had a fine play closing quickly on the receiver on that trick play, and hurrying the throw which led to the interception.

I agree with JW. Ifeatu Melifonwu, in my opinion, played a great game - particularly in the second half. Midway through the first half I heard coach Ward challenge him to get up on his man and "don't play him like he can run by you". He did so, and seemed to be in excellent position on most of the throws at his man. He also made a quick reaction on a pass in the flat where he exploded to the receiver and had a solid TFL. His length is impressive, and I think he really got a shot of confidence today. Hopefully more to come.

One more random thought - not sure if was already mentioned, but Shy Cullen had a fine play closing quickly on the receiver on that trick play, and hurrying the throw which led to the interception.

Shy made a lot of good plays. we need to see more of him on defense.

Loved the write up! “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..”

I didn’t get to the game until after we scored the touchdown at the beginning of the second half. I sat though the most alternately lackluster/agonizing second half in my memory. I had little sleep because I had been out of town and I had a cough. I was juuuust wanting to sneak away, get home and lie down. I was mentally composing a congratulatory text to dear friend Chapel Hill Bill’s new widow.

But no, our team did not allow that! I was forced to stand up and screech with a scratchy throat, get dizzy with hope, feel the knife of despair in my gut, dizzy with hope again and - finally - the bliss of victory! I never did text Bill’s widow because doesn’t she have enough grief? And I slept last night for 9 straight hours without getting up once.

I am going to need to take my vitamins to get ready for the next game. Maybe lift some weights.

Loved the write up! “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..”

I didn’t get to the game until after we scored the touchdown at the beginning of the second half. I sat though the most alternately lackluster/agonizing second half in my memory. I had little sleep because I had been out of town and I had a cough. I was juuuust wanting to sneak away, get home and lie down. I was mentally composing a congratulatory text to dear friend Chapel Hill Bill’s new widow.

But no, our team did not allow that! I was forced to stand up and screech with a scratchy throat, get dizzy with hope, feel the knife of despair in my gut, dizzy with hope again and - finally - the bliss of victory! I never did text Bill’s widow because doesn’t she have enough grief? And I slept last night for 9 straight hours without getting up once.

I am going to need to take my vitamins to get ready for the next game. Maybe lift some weights.

images
Part of a good breakfast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom