The Upside - Oakland | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Oakland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I think it was Deon Sanders who, asked to describe his speed said “If we’re even, I’m leavin’.” That’s what happened tonight. This game was 27-24 with 8 lead changes with 6:23 left in the first half. Then we started playing defense, hitting the boards and running. We scored 18 points in a row to blow it open at the half. (We also scored the first basket of the second half to make it 20.) We got it up to 93-51 with 4:51 left in the game before the walk-ons came in, (and scored 2 points in that time). That’s a 69-27 run in 21 minutes and 32 seconds. I recall another track star famous for wearing a T-shirt that said “Hello” on the front and “Goodbye” on the back and that’s what we said tonight.

- JB got to play everybody and give them a good run. We haven’t’ had too many of those games in recent years. 11 of 12 recruited players played, all of them at least 8 minutes. Peter Carey is the only one who didn’t play and he’s likely redshirting.

- Everybody’s numbers got fat. Jesse Edwards scored 18 points on 9 for 9 shooting. 9 for 9! The scales fell from Joe Girard’s eyes in South Bend and tonight he also scored 18 in 23 minutes in 7 for 10 shooting. He also had 6 assists. Judah Mintz had 10 points, 5 assists and no turnovers in 21 minutes. Benny Williams had 9 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. It turns out we can feed the post from the power forward spot: John Bol added 3 assists and Maliq Brown had 1 for a total of 10 from that spot. Brown played 16 minutes, finishing the game with the walk-ins and scored 12 points on 6 for 7 shooting with 7 rebounds. If he has a “hip problem”, it didn’t show. Symir Torrance also scored 12, in 12 minutes on 5 for 6 shooting. I’ve been waiting for an assist to go from Symir to Mounir, (Hima) but ti was Hima who fed Torrance for a bucket.

- But we wouldn’t have pulled away, except for the defense. Trey Townsend had a big day for the Grizzlies with 29 points and 12 rebounds. He played 39 minutes, also finishing with the walk-ons to build up his numbers. He was 13 for 24 from the field. His teammates were 11 for 40.

5-4 with 22+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- I think it was Deon Sanders who, asked to describe his speed said “If we’re even, I’m leavin’.” That’s what happened tonight. This game was 27-24 with 8 lead changes with 6:23 left in the first half. Then we started playing defense, hitting the boards and running. We scored 18 points in a row to blow it open at the half. (We also scored the first basket of the second half to make it 20.) We got it up to 93-51 with 4:51 left in the game before the walk-ons came in, (and scored 2 points in that time). That’s a 69-27 run in 21 minutes and 32 seconds. I recall another track star famous for wearing a T-shirt that said “Hello” on the front and “Goodbye” on the back and that’s what we said tonight.

- JB got to play everybody and give them a good run. We haven’t’ had too many of those games in recent years. 11 of 12 recruited players played, all of them at least 8 minutes. Peter Carey is the only one who didn’t play and he’s likely redshirting.

- Everybody’s numbers got fat. Jesse Edwards scored 18 points on 9 for 9 shooting. 9 for 9! The scales fell from Joe Girard’s eyes in South Bend and tonight he also scored 18 in 23 minutes in 7 for 10 shooting. He also had 6 assists. Judah Mintz had 10 points, 5 assists and no turnovers in 21 minutes. Benny Williams had 9 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. It turns out we can feed the post from the power forward spot: John Bol added 3 assists and Maliq Brown had 1 for a total of 10 from that spot. Brown played 16 minutes, finishing the game with the walk-ins and scored 12 points on 6 for 7 shooting with 7 rebounds. If he has a “hip problem”, it didn’t show. Symir Torrance also scored 12, in 12 minutes on 5 for 6 shooting. I’ve been waiting for an assist to go from Symir to Mounir, (Hima) but ti was Hima who fed Torrance for a bucket.

- But we wouldn’t have pulled away, except for the defense. Trey Townsend had a big day for the Grizzlies with 29 points and 12 rebounds. He played 39 minutes, also finishing with the walk-ons to build up his numbers. He was 13 for 24 from the field. His teammates were 11 for 40.

5-4 with 22+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
The only way Carey can redshirt at this point is if he qualifies for medical redshirt. And he may very well depending on what's going on with his knee that was wrapped up.

The only way Carey can redshirt at this point is if he qualifies for medical redshirt. And he may very well depending on what's going on with his knee that was wrapped up.

They were discussing the possibility that Carey could redshirt on the radio last night and noted that he had not played in 4 games, (he's played in three). I just spent a frustrating 20 minutes trying to find out if the football rule applies to basketball. Apparently it did not when passed in 2018. Then I found this article:
Redshirt Rule in CBB About to Change

"According to numerous sources, college basketball will loosen its redshirt restrictions, allowing players to participate in a set number of games without losing a year of eligibility.

The legislation is similar to regulations approved in college football which allows players being redshirted to participate in as many as four games during the season without squandering a year of eligibility.

According to one source familiar with the package, players would be allowed to play between 6 and 8 games of their "redshirt'' season without losing a year of eligibility."

This is dated 7/12/21. I was unable to find an article confirming its passage. Maybe the guys talking about it on the radio were ill-informed or perhaps they were suggesting that if this was football, he could redshirt. There must be some reason he didn't play last night. Brown was playing with the walk-ons.

Last edited:
They were discussing the possibility that Carey could redshirt on the radio last night and noted that he had not played in 4 games, (he's played in three). I just spent a frustrating 20 minutes trying to find out if the football rule applies to basketball. Apparently it did not when passed in 2018. Then I found this article:
Redshirt Rule in CBB About to Change

"According to numerous sources, college basketball will loosen its redshirt restrictions, allowing players to participate in a set number of games without losing a year of eligibility.

The legislation is similar to regulations approved in college football which allows players being redshirted to participate in as many as four games during the season without squandering a year of eligibility.

According to one source familiar with the package, players would be allowed to play between 6 and 8 games of their "redshirt'' season without losing a year of eligibility."

This is dated 7/12/21. I was unable to find an article confirming its passage. Maybe the guys talking about it on the radio were ill-informed or perhaps they were suggesting that if this was football, he could redshirt. There must be some reason he didn't play last night. Brown was playing with the walk-ons.
No it hasn't officially passed for basketball. Carey's knee was wrapped per Bees photo in this post.

No it hasn't officially passed for basketball. Carey's knee was wrapped per Bees photo in this post.

Not for nothing, but -
Pretty sure “4 games” is the football rule, not hoops.

It was always that they didn’t appear in any non-exhibition games, OR the combo of:
  • played in fewer than 1/3 of teams total # of games
  • granted a medical RS exemption by NCAA.
Now, I could be wrong, but I’m definitely taller than 5’2”, so…. ;)

Not for nothing, but -
Pretty sure “4 games” is the football rule, not hoops.

It was always that they didn’t appear in any non-exhibition games, OR the combo of:
  • played in fewer than 1/3 of teams total # of games
  • granted a medical RS exemption by NCAA.
Now, I could be wrong, but I’m definitely taller than 5’2”, so…. ;)
Yep he would have to qualify for a medical redshirt at this point, since he has played in some regular season games. And maybe he will depending on what's going on with his knee. Although I would hate for him to have a serious injury obviously.

Yep he would have to qualify for a medical redshirt at this point, since he has played in some regular season games. And maybe he will depending on what's going on with his knee. Although I would hate for him to have a serious injury obviously.

Yeah, here’s hoping that his knee issue is the equivalent of bone spurs, and he just needs a friendly Dr to sign off on it.

But honestly - in this new Portal Era, does it even matter anymore?

It’s highly unlikely any player is gonna stick with any program (except UNC, of course :rolleyes:) for all that time anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom