The Upside - St. John's | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - St. John's

SWC75

Bored Historian
(apparently I forgot to post this)

- It was an old-fashioned Syracuse-St. John’s game and very exciting. I think we have a very exciting team, one that is only going to get better. Right now coaching this team seems to be like putting a tent in a storm: you get one pole up, (Joe Girard scores 21 points in a half), and put up another, (Judah Mintz dazzles for 16 in a half), only to see the previous one fall down, (Joe scores zero). Benny Williams is the definition of a Dow Joneser. Jesse Edwards gets in foul trouble. When Jim gets all the tent poles up, it will be a stately pleasure dome indeed.

- Judah Mintz increasing reminds me not of Johnny Flynn or Dion Waiters but rather Pearl Washington, who used to break ankles with his dribbling skills and make impossible shots from all over the place. Judah is more athletic and he’s just learning to set up his teammates. But he’s learning fast. It’s impressive that he forces the other team to play zone. Most teams aren’t going to be good at it.

- Benny Williams had a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. He also had four assists and hit three jump shots. Maybe he’ll realize how good he can be and become the player we’ve hoped he could be.

- Jesse Edwards was quiet for much of the game, mostly because he was on the bench with foul trouble, but really asserted himself down the stretch. He was the reason it became an overtime game. he scored 18 points on 6 for 8 shooting and pulled down 8 rebounds.

- What he didn’t do was block any shots. That was left to his back-up, Mounir Hima, who blocked 7 shots, not counting 2 goal tends. He also had 4 points and 8 rebounds, just like Jesse, but in just 19 minutes of play.

- Chris Bell did score 12 points. That’s his primary function. He scored 2 threes but also had 3 two point field goals.

3-2 with 26+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

(apparently I forgot to post this)

- It was an old-fashioned Syracuse-St. John’s game and very exciting. I think we have a very exciting team, one that is only going to get better. Right now coaching this team seems to be like putting a tent in a storm: you get one pole up, (Joe Girard scores 21 points in a half), and put up another, (Judah Mintz dazzles for 16 in a half), only to see the previous one fall down, (Joe scores zero). Benny Williams is the definition of a Dow Joneser. Jesse Edwards gets in foul trouble. When Jim gets all the tent poles up, it will be a stately pleasure dome indeed.

- Judah Mintz increasing reminds me not of Johnny Flynn or Dion Waiters but rather Pearl Washington, who used to break ankles with his dribbling skills and make impossible shots from all over the place. Judah is more athletic and he’s just learning to set up his teammates. But he’s learning fast. It’s impressive that he forces the other team to play zone. Most teams aren’t going to be good at it.

- Benny Williams had a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. He also had four assists and hit three jump shots. Maybe he’ll realize how good he can be and become the player we’ve hoped he could be.

- Jesse Edwards was quiet for much of the game, mostly because he was on the bench with foul trouble, but really asserted himself down the stretch. He was the reason it became an overtime game. he scored 18 points on 6 for 8 shooting and pulled down 8 rebounds.

- What he didn’t do was block any shots. That was left to his back-up, Mounir Hima, who blocked 7 shots, not counting 2 goal tends. He also had 4 points and 8 rebounds, just like Jesse, but in just 19 minutes of play.

- Chris Bell did score 12 points. That’s his primary function. He scored 2 threes but also had 3 two point field goals.

3-2 with 26+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
Jesse is the most important player of this team. As long as he stays healthy and play the whole season, I think we have 90% of the chance to make NCAA tournament.

See what you are saying with the Pearl analogy, but Pearl played below the rim and Judah plays above the rim. Also, Judah is nowhere the passer that Pearl was.

See what you are saying with the Pearl analogy, but Pearl played below the rim and Judah plays above the rim. Also, Judah is nowhere the passer that Pearl was.

And Pearl was nowhere the athlete Judah is.

Pearl had GOAT level handles and court vision.

But at 6’2” he couldn’t dunk.
(At least, I never once saw him do so).

Sherm was listed (generously) at 6’, and he capped off his Cuse career in the Dome with a breakaway 2-hand slam.

So - I’m totally not seeing the comparison of Judah to Pearl, at all.
Other than them both having played for Cuse and being listed as PG.

So - I’m totally not seeing the comparison of Judah to Pearl, at all.
Other than them both having played for Cuse and being listed as PG.
Pearl was a generational talent. He inspired other PG’s. His cross over changed the game. Literally changed the game.
Judah is a good, young player who many have elevated beyond reason by virtue of comparison to our most recent PGs.
He’s good, and if he accepts coaching, will become a very good player and possibly an NBA player, but I have now read threads where he has been compared to Iverson and Pearl. Let’s start throwing Mark Jackson, Kenny Smith, Tim Hardaway, and Russell Westbrook in the conversation, just for fun.
You never saw any of those guys have an OT period like Judah had. Ever.

"Judah is more athletic and he’s just learning to set up his teammates. But he’s learning fast."

"Judah is more athletic and he’s just learning to set up his teammates. But he’s learning fast."
What pearl had, you don’t learn. It was an instinct at a higher level.

What pearl had, you don’t learn. It was an instinct at a higher level.

1669347770559.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom