The Upside vs. NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Upside vs. NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Taj Harris had a career game with 13 catches for 146 yards and 1 touchdown. And they were tough yards. He never got a long bomb like Nykeim Johnson’s. He caught passes over the middle and fought his way to get first downs. His one long one was for 26 yards and he did a terrific job of getting a toe in bounds.

- If we’re going to blame Rex, (and we are), let’s give him credit for 23 completions for 245 yards and 2TDs with no interceptions. That sure beat what we saw at Louisville.

- Nykeim Johnson caught that 60 yard bomb, (but no other passes), and returned a punt for 27 yards.

- Trebor Pena had the 98 yard kickoff return for a score: our first in 9 years since Dorian Graham against West Virginia.

- Andre Szmyt, after having the day off against Louisville, kicked two field goals and three extra points for 8 points. Nolan Cooney had another good game with 43 yards per punt and 65 yards per kick-off.

- The defense spent much of the time in the Wolfpack backfield, recording 10 TFLs, 6 sacks and forcing 2 turnovers and a safety. Even State’s positive plays were made under duress.

- This team has weapons. But that’s the software. It needs a new hard drive.

1-9 with 2(?) to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

We beat the spread and made it a game until the final seconds which is much better than I thought we would do against NC State.

We beat the spread and made it a game until the final seconds which is much better than I thought we would do against NC State.

As impossible as it is, if we ignore the final 4 snaps of the game, and focus on everything we had done prior to that, there was a lot to be happy with. I know Rex made an impossibly mindbogglingly bad comedy of errors at the end, but if the end result happened in a ‘normal way’ such as a 3rd down throw away, and a 4th down ball that falls incomplete we all would have been very disappointed but not devastated the way we were.

there was a lot of great to see things in this game. In the end our defense got out physicalled on some one-on-one deep balls in the second half that were perfectly placed passes and tough grabs by the WRs. That side made those plays, and we didn’t. That was the difference in the game score wise

Taj’s performance makes me scratch my head on why he hasn’t played slot...or at least out him there more. Kids had his ups and downs here, but even is the last time we had someone with 23 receptions on a game? Think Erv or Ish days

Taj’s performance makes me scratch my head on why he hasn’t played slot...or at least out him there more. Kids had his ups and downs here, but even is the last time we had someone with 23 receptions on a game? Think Erv or Ish days
Probably never. 13 has been done a handful of times I’m sure. Maybe Trishton even?

Probably never. 13 has been done a handful of times I’m sure. Maybe Trishton even?
Typo... yes, 13. Point being the absence og short/mid passing game has been missing all year and taj looked good in the slot. Woner if thats where he could settle in next year.

Typo... yes, 13. Point being the absence og short/mid passing game has been missing all year and taj looked good in the slot. Woner if thats where he could settle in next year.

Erv Phillips holds the record with 17 at NC State 9/30/17. (Why did we get the ball to Nykeim just once?). For many years the record was held by Art Monk who had 14 catches vs. Navy in 1977. Art had 12 of those in the first half so he might have had a 'typo' game if we'd kept throwing it to him. Erv also had 14 vs. Colgate in 2016, (Dino's first game here), and Steve Ismael did it twice vs. Middle Tennessee in 2017 and Wake Forest that same year. Taj had the third 13 catch game, the others being Mike Williams vs. South Florida in 2009 and Amba Etta-Tawo vs. Pittsburgh in 2016, (the 61-76 game). The only games of those that we won were the Monk game vs. Navy and the Colgate game.

N. johnsons not a slot guy. He’s an ok third receiver for a homerun ball. Taj would be GREAT in the slot but im terrified Rex will get him killed one of these balls. We should roll with Queeley on the outside, taj in the slot, and whoever between NJ/CJ/J Williams can catch the most balls out of 10. Im not even joking.

N. johnsons not a slot guy. He’s an ok third receiver for a homerun ball. Taj would be GREAT in the slot but im terrified Rex will get him killed one of these balls. We should roll with Queeley on the outside, taj in the slot, and whoever between NJ/CJ/J Williams can catch the most balls out of 10. Im not even joking.

I didn't think you were. I'd go with Josh Hough at fullback, Sean Tucker at halfback, Taj and Queeley on the outside, Benson at TE, (or Hackett if he's back) and bring in Nucky as the slot guy replacing Hough on third and long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom