The Upside - Wake II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Wake II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I knew we were unlikely to accomplish more than what we already did, (a winning record), so I felt no tension – until we rallied in the second half and had a chance to complete a great comeback. We lost but it was an exciting way to say goodbye to the season.

- The “Trunk Monkey” press worked again. It did what it usually seems to do – speed up the other team such that they start missing the shots they had been making and it energized our team, which had hit the wall, offensively. Suddenly we were making the shots we had been missing. I wish we could have closed out the game in the press. As a matter of fact, this team could have used it as a basic part of our strategy all year, not just in emergencies and we might have had a much better record. This group of players was perfect for it.

- Benny Williams had his third strong game in the last four. He had 24 points and 9 rebounds vs. Pitt, shot 5 of 7 for 11 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists vs. Georgia Tech and 18 points, 11 rebounds and 5 steals today. If Benny had played consistently like this all season, we’d have had a totally different year. Maybe he will do that next year.

- The three J’s struggled but still managed to get pretty good number: 39 points, 15 rebounds 14 assists 5 steals and 2 blocks. If that’s a bad game, that’s good.

- I hope these guys liked playing here and with each other – so they might want to do so in the future.

- There’s a feeling of tension being released as we step into a new era. I don’t know if Red Autry will be a success, but I sure hope so, both for him and for us. I’m tired of endless debates about our head coach. There will more in the future, I’m sure, but it’s time to relax.

17-15 (10-11 in conference) with 1+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
Really enjoy your upside reports - it's one of the few reasons I still visit this board (the negativity and hate present in most other posts is a real turnoff).

I have to ask though, what would be the "1+ to go"?
Do you anticipate they're going to some sort of postseason tournament?
I'm assuming they are done for the year at this point.

- Benny Williams had his third strong game in the last four. He had 24 points and 9 rebounds vs. Pitt, shot 5 of 7 for 11 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists vs. Georgia Tech and 18 points, 11 rebounds and 5 steals today. If Benny had played consistently like this all season, we’d have had a totally different year. Maybe he will do that next year.
I really wish Benny had taken the ball to the basket on that last possession instead of the pass to Joe at the end of the shot clock.

I really wish Benny had taken the ball to the basket on that last possession instead of the pass to Joe at the end of the shot clock.
According to JB in the presser, he was supposed to try and run a high-low play and get the ball to Jesse, but wasn't able to get the pass to him. It was not drawn up to go to Girard.
I too think it would have been better if he continued driving to the basket for a layup or try and draw a foul, or tried a step back shot in the lane. Would at least have been a higher percentage shot or maybe given Jesse a shot at a rebound.
Either way, I don't understand the type of end of game plays where they are all spread out and nobody is moving around or rotating. I don't see how that is going to help anyone get free for an open shot.

According to JB in the presser, he was supposed to try and run a high-low play and get the ball to Jesse, but wasn't able to get the pass to him. It was not drawn up to go to Girard.
I too think it would have been better if he continued driving to the basket for a layup or try and draw a foul, or tried a step back shot in the lane. Would at least have been a higher percentage shot or maybe given Jesse a shot at a rebound.
Either way, I don't understand the type of end of game plays where they are all spread out and nobody is moving around or rotating. I don't see how that is going to help anyone get free for an open shot.
Well, you don't have to worry or be concerned about the end of game play. It's in the past. We have a new coach who will follow his own plan and I certainly hope it's a successful one for our program and wish him and his new team well.

Really enjoy your upside reports - it's one of the few reasons I still visit this board (the negativity and hate present in most other posts is a real turnoff).

I have to ask though, what would be the "1+ to go"?
Do you anticipate they're going to some sort of postseason tournament?
I'm assuming they are done for the year at this point.

I just forgot to change it. Maybe I should wait until the NIT field is announced, just to make sure? Brian Higgins today said he doesn't think it's a zero % chance.

I just forgot to change it. Maybe I should wait until the NIT field is announced, just to make sure? Brian Higgins today said he doesn't think it's a zero % chance.
Fingers crossed, but I was expecting we'd need at least a win or 2 in the ACC tourney to have a shot at the NIT.
If they don't get an NIT bid, would they consider playing in the CBI?
From my understanding, there's a sizable entry fee to play in that, so I'm thinking probably not.

Also, if SU thought they had a shot at the NIT, wouldn't thay have likely waited to let JB go until after the tournament seedings were announced?

- I knew we were unlikely to accomplish more than what we already did, (a winning record), so I felt no tension – until we rallied in the second half and had a chance to complete a great comeback. We lost but it was an exciting way to say goodbye to the season.

- The “Trunk Monkey” press worked again. It did what it usually seems to do – speed up the other team such that they start missing the shots they had been making and it energized our team, which had hit the wall, offensively. Suddenly we were making the shots we had been missing. I wish we could have closed out the game in the press. As a matter of fact, this team could have used it as a basic part of our strategy all year, not just in emergencies and we might have had a much better record. This group of players was perfect for it.

- The three J’s struggled but still managed to get pretty good number: 39 points, 15 rebounds 14 assists 5 steals and 2 blocks. If that’s a bad game, that’s good.

- I hope these guys liked playing here and with each other – so they might want to do so in the future.

- There’s a feeling of tension being released as we step into a new era. I don’t know if Red Autry will be a success, but I sure hope so, both for him and for us. I’m tired of endless debates about our head coach. There will more in the future, I’m sure, but it’s time to relax.

17-15 (10-11 in conference) with 1+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
At least we didn't bottom out with a then NCAA record of 26 losses in a row under Guley so long ago.
I hope the last 2 seasons are at the bottom, and we can get back to being good again. When Jim first took over Jim had some good players Louie and Bouie, then came the Pearl, and Dave sent DC, to play with Rony, Stevie, the General, Billy.
We had great times from 86-87 through 2014-2015 with a few missteps.
We might never get back to that level, but we should get close, and that was fun.
FLJ will get the women's team at top flight level, hopefully Red gets it done on the men's side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom