The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We won. We finally beat an FBS team. We are 1-0 in the conference. We need to go 4-3 the rest of the way to get a bowl. If we win the conference, it will be a BCS bowl. We get to enjoy a college football Saturday with an SU win already in the bag. Life is good…

- So many things that had gone against us went for us in this game. We finally got off to a good start, (and we needed it). The defense made the plays in the fourth quarter to win the game. We got a fumble return for a touchdown and our guy caught the tipped pass. Karma.

- I watched the USC-Utah game, where Utah got a couple of early breaks, (including a fumble return for a score) to take a 14-0 before a raucous home crowd. USC won the rest of the game 38-14. This game looked like it might have the same sort of result much of the way but thanks to Scott Shafer’s defense, it didn’t.

- We had only one turnover and three penalties. They were hardly unimportant, (see The Downside), but I’d like to replay some of those eight losses with three penalties and one turnover and see what would have happened. We averaged 8 penalties and 2 turnovers in those games and this would have been the 9th straight FBS loss with those numbers.

- When I first saw Brandon Sharpe as a freshman, the guy was a firecracker. He always seemed to be in the other team’s backfield. Then he seemed to disappear for a couple of years- just be another guy in the rotation. Last night, he was the guy I saw as a freshman, only bigger and stronger. He overpowered those big Pitt linemen and out-quicked them. His motor was running on every play. In a one point win where the offense was shut out for the last three quarters, he won the game for us.

- I’m sure glad Brandon Reddish got healthy for this game. He sure looked healthy on that blitz and the team was healthy afterwards.

- Jerome Smith ran with a purpose and got 61 tough yards on 10 carries. Adonis Ameen Moore final got into the game and proved he could move the pile. We out-rushed the big, tough panthers 120-27. Even if you exclude sacks, the numbers are 129-86. And wasn’t their 317 pound per man line supposed to crush our guys? We made them look like a G-Rob line. (They were pretty heavy, too.)

- Ryan Nassib had a poor game overall but at least he didn’t come out over-amped and produce one of those early turnovers that have plagued us. He’s never looked better than on that first drive.

- We didn’t wait until the game was lost to get the ball to Marcus Sales, who had 6 catches for 63 yards, although he had a bad drop when we were trying to put the game away.

- We had our usual zero yards in punt returns but so did they. I can’t figure out why our guys look so quick covering kicks and so slow blocking for our kick returns. We actually won the game on special teams, after a fashion, because Pitt’s one missed field goal was the difference.

- Doug Marrone won’t have to say “It’s all my fault” for at least a week. Hey, Doug, there’s no “I” in team! We lost those eight in a row as a team and we won this one as a team.

2-3 with 7 to be

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

I'd add that Rene was just one hurdle/juke away from possibly taking one to the house. Then again, I expect one of his plays to be mentioned in The Downside

Agree with most, but Nassib did make an early turnover on a terrible throw for a fade pattern. We should hVe been up 21-0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom