The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This one started out like so many SU losses over the last couple of seasons. Two early turnovers and a 0-10 deficit. Later we had a drive destroyed by three straight penalties. But we came back to win going away. More than that, it felt all along like we would. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

- As in the Missouri game, the defense looked like a sieve early on but made adjustments, including to their energy level and took over the game at the end . Temple took a 17-20 lead at 8:53 of the third but could do nothing after that as Syracuse ended the game on a 21-0 run. We weren’t getting any penetration in the backfield early but at the end of the game we were getting tackles for a loss in every down series.

- Our offense, after years of ineptitude, gained 405 yards or more in 9 times this year, including the last 6 games. We had 6 games, 50%, of over 500 yards and averaged 473 yards per game, easily a school record, (22 more than the ‘59 national champions). Who would have imagined that at the beginning of the season?

- That offensive potency and some occasional defensive grittiness enabled this to become the best comeback team we’ve ever had. We overcame a 22 point deficit to take the lead vs. Northwestern before losing in the final seconds. We came back from a 20 point deficit and a later 9 point hole to win vs. South Florida. We overcame a 3-14 score, (and 24-27) to beat Missouri. And today we erased deficits of 0-10 and 17-20 to win. No, this year’s team wasn’t last year’s team.

- Montel Harris vs. Army: 351 yards and 7 touchdowns. Montel Harris vs. Syracuse: 106 yards and no touchdowns.

- Alec Lemon went over 1000 yards in receiving and Jerome Smith overcame his injuries, (I think he has a “body” injury) to over 1000 yards rushing.

- We finally got a pick 6 thanks to Keon Lyn, (who also intercepted the Hail Mary at the end), the first in 6 years. I hope Philip Thomas was watching. I know Brandon Reddish was.

- Marcus Sales made one of the best catches we’ve ever had, a Tyree-like grab off the D-back’s helmet while lying flat on his back in the end zone.

- Adonis Ammen Moore looked more like an every down back in this game, which could be important if Smith, Gulley and Broyld continue to be banged up.

- One of the reason he did was the work of the offensive line, our best in a generation.
7-5 and now for 8-5

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- Alec Lemon went over 1000 yards in receiving and Jerome Smith overcame his injuries, (I think he has a “body” injury) to over 1000 yards rushing.
That made me laugh.

- This one started out like so many SU losses over the last couple of seasons. Two early turnovers and a 0-10 deficit. Later we had a drive destroyed by three straight penalties. But we came back to win going away. More than that, it felt all along like we would. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

- As in the Missouri game, the defense looked like a sieve early on but made adjustments, including to their energy level and took over the game at the end . Temple took a 17-20 lead at 8:53 of the third but could do nothing after that as Syracuse ended the game on a 21-0 run. We weren’t getting any penetration in the backfield early but at the end of the game we were getting tackles for a loss in every down series.

- Our offense, after years of ineptitude, gained 405 yards or more in 9 times this year, including the last 6 games. We had 6 games, 50%, of over 500 yards and averaged 473 yards per game, easily a school record, (22 more than the ‘59 national champions). Who would have imagined that at the beginning of the season?

- That offensive potency and some occasional defensive grittiness enabled this to become the best comeback team we’ve ever had. We overcame a 22 point deficit to take the lead vs. Northwestern before losing in the final seconds. We came back from a 20 point deficit and a later 9 point hole to win vs. South Florida. We overcame a 3-14 score, (and 24-27) to beat Missouri. And today we erased deficits of 0-10 and 17-20 to win. No, this year’s team wasn’t last year’s team.

- Montel Harris vs. Army: 351 yards and 7 touchdowns. Montel Harris vs. Syracuse: 106 yards and no touchdowns.

- We finally got a pick 6 thanks to Keon Lyn, (who also intercepted the Hail Mary at the end), the first in 6 years. I hope Philip Thomas was watching. I know Brandon Reddish was.

- Marcus Sales made one of the best catches we’ve ever had, a Tyree-like grab off the D-back’s helmet while lying flat on his back in the end zone.

- Adonis Ammen Moore looked more like an every down back in this game, which could be important if Smith, Gulley and Broyld continue to be banged up.

- One of the reason he did was the work of the offensive line, our best in a generation.
7-5 and now for 8-5

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Great write up, Steve. Thanks, as usual, for all your great contributions to the board this year, and for the past 15 years or so, now. I agree that the key is that they finally seem to have sorted out an adequate offensive line. If we can build up some depth on the line, we'll be OK next year.

And I do believe that this year's recovery from 2-4, especially after last year's collapse after the 5-2 start, shows that the coaching staff has matured, and I really do believe we have turned a corner going into the ACC next year. These guys know how to play competitive football at this level again. 2 bowls in 3 years is something this year's seniors can be really proud of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom