The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I’ll take any victory over North Carolina, anytime, anywhere, no matter how good they are- or aren’t. It’s like in the 1990’s in football when we beat Ohio and Texas,(9and should have beaten Oklahoma). Those programs were not at their peak in those years but they were still Ohio State and Texas and we beat them. It’s the sort of thing you like to have on your resume.

- I said before the season that I thought we might have the best pair of forwards in the country. We’ve been a bit short of that most of the year. But today, CJ Fair and Jerami Grant looked like exactly that. Grant had 12 points and 8 rebounds in the first half. He didn’t score after that but wound up with a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds. CJ got off to a rough start but led the team in scoring with 20 points, including 7 for 8 from the line. He also pulled down 8 rebounds. Both of them blocked two shots s everybody contributed to a great defensive effort. The both played the full 40 minutes and they played hard for those 40 minutes.

- Rakeem Christmas was a monster inside. He didn’t score but he had 8 rebvo0dunsa and 4 blocks. He also kept the ball alive and pulled in a bunch of loose balls. This season has been all about possession of the ball because we aren’t really a great shooting team, and he helps us get it. Keita also played hard but lacked the strength to compete with the Tar Heel big men. Rak did not.

- Love the General but he was wrong about offensive rebounding being a bad thing in this game. We won the game on the offensive boards with 17 of them. They can’t fast break without the ball and we had 12 second chance points to 2 for the Heels. Our big men were just too quick for theirs.

- Early in the game we were getting out-hustled for loose balls but that turned around quickly and permanently. That’s not normally something we are good at but we totally out-hustled Carolina in this game.

- We made 9 steals in the game and many of them seemed to right after our turnovers.

- Trevor Cooney had another bad shooting night with 2 for 12 but he went inside the arc to score twice and made 5 big steals. I loved one sequence in the first half: He missed another three but instead of sulking about it he tipped a fast break ball away and into the hands of Christmas and then, on the other end, moved in to 15 feet to nail a jumper. He kept playing, just like his teammates.

16-0 with 15+ to go

Let’s Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom