The Upside | Syracusefan.com

The Upside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Take a step back and look at the season from the perspective we had at the beginning of the year: we lost Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Triche and James Southerland. We handed the keys to a freshman point guard. We went 28-6, 14-5 in the ACC and were ranked #1 for three weeks. Not such a bad deal.

- We played 34 games and either won or narrowly lost 33 times. Even in the one decisive loss, the game was even for 30 minutes.

- I’ve heard several people say Dayton is not a good team. They are a very good team. There are a lot of them out there and we were going to lose to one of them. It happened to be this one.

- They played good defense, especially early one and we did as well, keeping us in a game we had no business being in and gave ourselves a chance to win at the end.

- You can’t blame the defense and you can’t blame the offense because we got enough makeable shots to win. We got ten times the number of makeable shots we needed to win the game. Like JB says: “You have to make shots.” Hopefully we can make then next year.

28-6, (14-5) and that’s all there is…till next year

Let’s Go Orange!

- Take a step back and look at the season from the perspective we had at the beginning of the year: we lost Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Triche and James Southerland. We handed the keys to a freshman point guard. We went 28-6, 14-5 in the ACC and were ranked #1 for three weeks. Not such a bad deal.

I think the fact that we were 25-0 make it feel like a bad deal.

Oh well - hopefully next year ends better!

I've always loved reading your posts SWC75. Thank you for your time. Here's to next season!

I thought Upside/Downside was about the game that was just played.
In that case there absolutely is no upside!

For all that think the loses we're attributed to a tired team, this loss will provide needed rest!

I thought Upside/Downside was about the game that was just played.
In that case there absolutely is no upside!

I agree...but...this being the last game of the year and therefore the last game for the seniors and for an unknown number of NBA picks its kinda hard to come up with a classic one-game "upside" giving us hope for "the next game"

It's all about next season, sadly.

/quote]

This is what we have to keep telling ourselves. We lost Waiters, Scoop, Joseph, and Fab 2 years ago after making the Elite 8; lost MCW, Triche, Southerland lasat year after making the Final 4.

The only consistent players on those 2 teams were BMK, Rak and Fair; I honestly thought this year would be the "in between" year; I was anxious for McCullough and Joseph but I also didn't think Ennis would be a 1-and-done. We'll see what happens.

- We played 34 games and either won or narrowly lost 33 times. Even in the one decisive loss, the game was even for 30 minutes.

- I’ve heard several people say Dayton is not a good team. They are a very good team. There are a lot of them out there and we were going to lose to one of them. It happened to be this one.

- They played good defense, especially early one and we did as well, keeping us in a game we had no business being in and gave ourselves a chance to win at the end.

- You can’t blame the defense and you can’t blame the offense because we got enough makeable shots to win. We got ten times the number of makeable shots we needed to win the game. Like JB says: “You have to make shots.” Hopefully we can make then next year.

Let’s Go Orange!

SWC,

Thank you for having the proper perspective and expressing it on here. You are truly a board treasure.

For all that think the loses we're attributed to a tired team, this loss will provide needed rest!

I wonder how many realize that this team played 3 games in the last two weeks!

Quazzum69 said:
The upside: JB is one year closer to retirement.

An example of one of the pathetic posts the last 24 hours.

An example of one of the pathetic posts the last 24 hours.

You give Archie Miller our roster, facilities and fan support in October 2013 and this team is a final four favorite by March 2014. If Rick Pitino had any of our teams of the past three seasons we would have three championships. You give any decent coach these teams and we're at the same place.

Boeheim had at his disposal one of the nation's best passing point guards, two all-league forwards (with their own shortcomings but still very very good college players), a streaky but dangerous outside threat, and a bunch of other nice pieces (Christmas, Roberson, Gbinije) and the offense looks like a high school JV team. None of our players were utilized to maximize their abilities.

It's one thing to be mentally prepared and be outmatched physically but to lose to a less athletic team because you were outcoached and your team had no plan is inexcusable.

You give Archie Miller our roster, facilities and fan support in October 2013 and this team is a final four favorite by March 2014. If Rick Pitino had any of our teams of the past three seasons we would have three championships. You give any decent coach these teams and we're at the same place.

Boeheim had at his disposal one of the nation's best passing point guards, two all-league forwards (with their own shortcomings but still very very good college players), a streaky but dangerous outside threat, and a bunch of other nice pieces (Christmas, Roberson, Gbinije) and the offense looks like a high school JV team. None of our players were utilized to maximize their abilities.

It's one thing to be mentally prepared and be outmatched physically but to lose to a less athletic team because you were outcoached and your team had no plan is inexcusable.

So JB isn't even a "decent" coach? Tell that to Pitino, or even Miller.

Quazzum69 said:

These posts are about as unbelievable as your forum name - I assume it's supposed to read Crazy69?

I think this upside is well expressed and well timed. We were definitely spoiled for winning but the offense went from astounding to painful to watch in the last month. When someone here posted that youtube compilation of how we used to run it reminded me of why I grew up loving Syracuse basketball. We were a far cry from that in the last month.

When I opened this thread I was hoping it would say "There is no upside to that shitshow".

Let’s Go Orange!
Your Upside/Downside posts have been staples for me these past few years; always making sure to read the Upside last so that I end on a positive note.

After suffering through last night's game and then followed up by reading much of the dreck on this board over the last 24 hours; the perspective that this post brings is much appreciated!

Great post. You help us see the larger perspective.

The end didn't hurt as much as recent years because eventually we were going to be taken out. No way we were going to get by Florida, although I would have liked to have watched that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom