The "U's" sanctions | Syracusefan.com

The "U's" sanctions

PoppyHart

All American
They self imposed bowl bans in football when they were marginal at best. (I suppose they could have won the ACC Championship, but it was a longshot)

Who thinks they'll follow suit with a self-imposed ban in hoops?

Anyone? Bueller?

No chance of that happening this year. This could be the best team they will ever have.

If history has shown us anything, it's that only 1 school in division 1 sports would make a move like that.

And the U is no BYU.

No chance they hurt the hoops program this year.

Why should they take any action against themselves?Even when the NCAA was looking at the information it had obtained improperly, the best they had was a he said she said between Stan Heath and a player's mother about whether or not he gave her money.

The NCAA has totally botched this investigation. I bet Miami skates on this.

So when is the NCAA going to investigate UK? Isn't there reasonable cause to question that some violation is taking place when every year the top 15 ranked recruits are falling all over themselves to go there even if they are stacking up 2 top 10 guys at the same position? Isn't it unseemly that an agent (WWW) associated with the agency that reps the head coach (CAA) meets with these recruits and then magically cancel visits to other schools and they immediately commit to UK? And Emmert and his troops don't see anything suspicious about this?

So when is the NCAA going to investigate UK? Isn't there reasonable cause to question that some violation is taking place when every year the top 15 ranked recruits are falling all over themselves to go there even if they are stacking up 2 top 10 guys at the same position? Isn't it unseemly that an agent (WWW) associated with the agency that reps the head coach (CAA) meets with these recruits and then magically cancel visits to other schools and they immediately commit to UK? And Emmert and his troops don't see anything suspicious about this?

it's lunacy really

They said on air last night that the University of Miami has 90 days to respond to the notice of allegations sent to it by the NCAA.

I am certain Miami will not respond until after the tournament is over.

i wonder why

If you are insinuating they bought a team, I don't think that is really accurate. Its generally a bunch of mederately receruited players and a few transfers that have turned out better than expected and our now experienced.

From today's ESPN article on the sanctions:
"Many of the charges brought forth are based on the word of a man who made a fortune by lying," Shalala wrote. "The NCAA enforcement staff acknowledged to the University that if Nevin Shapiro, a convicted con man, said something more than once, it considered the allegation 'corroborated' -- an argument which is both ludicrous and counter to legal practice."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-miami-hurricanes-coaches-misled-probe-report

NCAA enforcement exists only to the extent that the member institutions allow enforcement. Investigators don't even have subpoena power.

That's why the rogue institutions, *cough, SEC, cough*, hold the hammer. They can always leave. When all is said and done, the NCAA is really only a trade association dependent upon the support of its member institutions.

The traditional college athletic experience has no place in the mega-bucks world of what is now 'college athletics'. Hasn't for at least the last 35 years. Sad, but true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom