The use of time-outs | Syracusefan.com

The use of time-outs

ottodaorange

Starter
Marrone may be a genius since he won, or if he lost he would be a goat... but the use of his last 2 time-outs that put him in a position to win can't be argued. He won! That was a ballsy call and showed confidence in his players and I like his style.

There was nothing wrong with the time out use, it just wasn't conventional. The game needed to be extended because they couldn't count two point conversions. You have to treat it as being down three scores. It worked so well that they needed to bleed clock on their last possession before the end of regulation going in for the win. Those minutes up front are were much more important than being able to work the middle of the field late.

I was certain with 7:30 to go in the game and no TOs left, that HCDM would be answering questions in the presser about using them up with so much time on the clock. I believe he made some questionable time out calls last year IIRC, but they never seemed to effect the outcome in bad way for the team. Is Marrone that much of a genius or is he just lucky? (I go w/ the former)

I hope Macky can get it done. Despite all of Bart's troubles with the shotgun, he was one of the strongest linemen in the country last year, per his bench numbers in the combine.

Our boys have to get more accustomed to winning. It seemed like they couldn't believe that they came back at won at the end. After the last play in the end zone, I had to temper my exuberance until our boys realized that they did it.

Great Win last night.

Yeah, becasue calling a timeout for an opponent's 4th down punt was absolutely done for its strategic advantage...

I agreed with the timing of the time outs. Marrone knew he needed all the time he could get in the event of a failed 2pt conversion. It was just about the most agressive approach/decision Marrone used all game long.

I didn't have a problem with the early time outs. Down two (and potentially three) scores, you need to extend the game. At that point, what's most important is that you take those time outs when the other team has the ball because you can control how fast you snap the ball when you have it. Whether you use those two timeouts to save a minute of time with seven minutes to go or three minutes to go doesn';t really matter. Might as well stop it on plays where you know the clock is moving.

The one caveat is that if it turns out you don't need to extend the game, you might have screwed yourself by taking the timeouts early. That almost happened, but who reasonably could have expected us to get even (with a chance to go ahead) so fast.

Yeah, becasue calling a timeout for an opponent's 4th down punt was absolutely done for its strategic advantage...

It prevented Wake from running another 40 seconds off the clock.

SU needed 8 points to tie, then hold Wake to a 3 and out and get the ball back with a chance to score again.

That extra 40 seconds might have come in handy if Scott didn't get the pick.

SU needed potentially needed two scores so Marrone wanted to leave as much time on the clock as possible. Having the ball with no timeouts, its a lot easier to control the clock then having no timeouts without the ball. Marrone wanted control of the clock late in the game.

Yeah, it did. It took a pretty extraordinary series of plays to have the ball with 3+ left and a chance to win in regulation.

I'm kind of torn about this. I understand what he was trying to do, but I just hated the fact that we blow our last 2 TO's in that situation.

At first I didn't like the 1st one because I thought it was way too early, then I thought about the situation with the backup qb in and the fact there was no way they were going to get a first down on that 3rd down. The backup qb was rattled at that point. Coach saw a chance to pounce (maybe starting qb was going to re-enter game in next series) and jumped on it. In a normal situation (healthy starting qb who has been killing us on 3rd downs) I'm not so sure if I would like it though because I felt like they were like 80% first down percentage on 3rd and longs the whole night and if they would have gotten a first down there it would have been a complete waste of a TO.

I don't really like the 2nd one though because I feel like we need to keep one in our back pocket for emergency situation or ultimately help us w/ clock at end of game if needed. We were going to need to stop them again to get the ball back because we were down 2 scores anyways we could have just used one the following series Wake had the ball and got the same results, but less risk IMO.

Either way they worked out and Coach Marrone does seem to be a little unconventional in his TO use (which is why I'm sure many including myself question it lol) but he usually gives us some statistical reason why and his thought process so who knows. The bottom line is if we make stops on defense and get 1st downs on offense that is the most important thing and the decisions work out just fine.

I'm kind of torn about this. I understand what he was trying to do, but I just hated the fact that we blow our last 2 TO's in that situation.

At first I didn't like the 1st one because I thought it was way too early, then I thought about the situation with the backup qb in and the fact there was no way they were going to get a first down on that 3rd down. The backup qb was rattled at that point. Coach saw a chance to pounce (maybe starting qb was going to re-enter game in next series) and jumped on it. In a normal situation (healthy starting qb who has been killing us on 3rd downs) I'm not so sure if I would like it though because I felt like they were like 80% first down percentage on 3rd and longs the whole night and if they would have gotten a first down there it would have been a complete waste of a TO.

I don't really like the 2nd one though because I feel like we need to keep one in our back pocket for emergency situation or ultimately help us w/ clock at end of game if needed. We were going to need to stop them again to get the ball back because we were down 2 scores anyways we could have just used one the following series Wake had the ball and got the same results, but less risk IMO.

Either way they worked out and Coach Marrone does seem to be a little unconventional in his TO use (which is why I'm sure many including myself question it lol) but he usually gives us some statistical reason why and his thought process so who knows. The bottom line is if we make stops on defense and get 1st downs on offense that is the most important thing and the decisions work out just fine.
This is a good summation. I'm glad it worked out.

Was having a reserve TO worth 40 seconds? I think it is with that much time left, but in general I prefer ballsy calls, and that was a ballsy call so I'll roll with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom