The View From 331: Army | Syracusefan.com

The View From 331: Army

DoubleDee

All American
Everyone,
I had to leave at halftime, and for the first time in my life I didn't even have any Syracuse gear on because I was on my way to my son's lacrosse tournament and didn't feel like changing.

I have nothing to report, but I do have a random dumb thought / question.

Regarding when the announcer at an event asks all active service and veterans to stand to be recognized... I've been raised and am regulated to a standing ovation for these extraordinary humans. I think many are. So when they ask them to stand, you can tell there are others like me, and within a few seconds it suddenly looks like there are 30K veterans attending a football game.

Thats all I got. Aren't you glad you clicked?

LGO

Everyone,
I had to leave at halftime, and for the first time in my life I didn't even have any Syracuse gear on because I was on my way to my son's lacrosse tournament and didn't feel like changing.

I have nothing to report, but I do have a random dumb thought / question.

Regarding when the announcer at an event asks all active service and veterans to stand to be recognized... I've been raised and am regulated to a standing ovation for these extraordinary humans. I think many are. So when they ask them to stand, you can tell there are others like me, and within a few seconds it suddenly looks like there are 30K veterans attending a football game.

Thats all I got. Aren't you glad you clicked?

LGO
That was a bit awkward but hey, it was a good thought by SU that was maybe not executed that well.

I sat with a couple of vets and some servicemen from Fort Drum and they told me they really liked all the recognition and acknowledgements from SU during the day.

From the ceremony to add Ben Schwartzwalder to the Ring of Honor to an in field acknowledgement of the first serviceman to attend SU on the GI bill post COVID, to the SUMB performance at halftime, the day was all about honoring the military and it was really well done.

That was a bit awkward but hey, it was a good thought by SU that was maybe not executed that well.

I sat with a couple of vets and some servicemen from Fort Drum and they told me they really liked all the recognition and acknowledgements from SU during the day.

From the ceremony to add Ben Schwartzwalder to the Ring of Honor to an in field acknowledgement of the first serviceman to attend SU on the GI bill post COVID, to the SUMB performance at halftime, the day was all about honoring the military and it was really well done.
Agree. I always love the "Hometown Hero" segment (even though I rarely know what they are saying), but this weeks guy was on another level. An elite human being who has done so much for others.

Agree. I always love the "Hometown Hero" segment (even though I rarely know what they are saying), but this weeks guy was on another level. An elite human being who has done so much for others.
Agreed. That guy has lived a great life. Respect.

Didn't complain about the sound system. It is still not good IMHO, and too loud but after visiting Purdue, I have been made aware that it is possible to go to a whole other level of loudness than SU does. I hope corn is good for helping ears recover from traumatic sound abuse or there are going to be a lot of people in Indiana who go deaf before their time.

The screeching when Kim Infanti opens her mouth has finally been fixed. I can understand some of what she says now. There is closed captioning of whoever is speaking that is always running on the ribbon board in the northwest corner of the dome and I try to remember that when the dome PA system fires up. That said, the sound a little better and I suspect this is as good as the people who are trying to fix it are capable of. So I will give up and trying to get it fixed properly.

Near the start of the game, they have a brief segment the first time the offense and defense come on the field where they show a series of videos where each starter says his name, position and home town.

It is cool. Nice to see what all the players look like without helmets. Garrett says 'Garrett Michael Shrader' which is good because we don't want to get him confused with the other Garrett Shraders walking around CNY.

There is a problem though. They cut away from each player before they even finish saying their home town. And the videos are delivered in rapid fire fashion, like the person running the scoreboard has to go to the bathroom and wants to get it done in record time.

So you can't hear part of each player's home town, and there is little time to read what the home town is (the player name, position and home town are superimposed on the videos) before the next one is loaded and played.

Why are these videos played at a breakneck speed? Why can't we have a second so the players can finish saying their home towns and we can digest what we have heard and seen? This is a nice segment. Someone did good work putting it together. Please let the audience enjoy it.

The guy (SU/West Point grad and Iraq/Afghanistan vet) who was honored at halftime on the Jumbotron is a friend/former classmate of mine. I was trying so hard to listen to what was being said about him, but it was just impossible with that sound system.

The guy (SU/West Point grad and Iraq/Afghanistan vet) who was honored at halftime on the Jumbotron is a friend/former classmate of mine. I was trying so hard to listen to what was being said about him, but it was just impossible with that sound system.
Nick?

Didn't complain about the sound system. It is still not good IMHO, and too loud but after visiting Purdue, I have been made aware that it is possible to go to a whole other level of loudness than SU does. I hope corn is good for helping ears recover from traumatic sound abuse or there are going to be a lot of people in Indiana who go deaf before their time.

The screeching when Kim Infanti opens her mouth has finally been fixed. I can understand some of what she says now. There is closed captioning of whoever is speaking that is always running on the ribbon board in the northwest corner of the dome and I try to remember that when the dome PA system fires up. That said, the sound a little better and I suspect this is as good as the people who are trying to fix it are capable of. So I will give up and trying to get it fixed properly.

Near the start of the game, they have a brief segment the first time the offense and defense come on the field where they show a series of videos where each starter says his name, position and home town.

It is cool. Nice to see what all the players look like without helmets. Garrett says 'Garrett Michael Shrader' which is good because we don't want to get him confused with the other Garrett Shraders walking around CNY.

There is a problem though. They cut away from each player before they even finish saying their home town. And the videos are delivered in rapid fire fashion, like the person running the scoreboard has to go to the bathroom and wants to get it done in record time.

So you can't hear part of each player's home town, and there is little time to read what the home town is (the player name, position and home town are superimposed on the videos) before the next one is loaded and played.

Why are these videos played at a breakneck speed? Why can't we have a second so the players can finish saying their home towns and we can digest what we have heard and seen? This is a nice segment. Someone did good work putting it together. Please let the audience enjoy it.

I thought the sound was fine, but I've been to a couple concerts lately so my ears are probably shot from them. That said, the first thing I noticed about Kim was the screeching. First I had heard her, though.

i still can't handle Kim. I wish I had earplugs when her segments are played. The screeeching and sqauwking is difficult for me.
Literally have to plug my ears.

Actually, Garrett Shrader says

“Garrett Michael Shrader, the first”

Which is hilarious if you ask me

They are played at high speed because Jen Albanese is absolutely terrified that the marketing/promo/video stuff on the scoreboard is going to run over the media timeout and they’re going to get a delay of game penalty

Im not sure why she has this irrational fear, but she does

They are played at high speed because Jen Albanese is absolutely terrified that the marketing/promo/video stuff on the scoreboard is going to run over the media timeout and they’re going to get a delay of game penalty

Im not sure why she has this irrational fear, but she does
Two weeks ago they actually had to cut short the drone game before revealing the winner due to a football game starting back up. Maybe thats why? because we actually let it happen sometimes? lol

Two weeks ago they actually had to cut short the drone game before revealing the winner due to a football game starting back up. Maybe thats why? because we actually let it happen sometimes? lol

Right but the length of these media timeouts are not random………..

Right but the length of these media timeouts are not random………..
The timeout timekeeper for the game Saturday has a big clock he walks out to the field for each timeout.

I kept seeing him start at 2:55 (i.e. 2 minutes and 55 seconds).

Now I know they show more than 11 starters. They have two TEs (Max Mang and Dan Vallari) and I think 3 WRs. So they might have 14 or even 15 starters that they need to accommodate when they show the clip.

If you have 175 seconds to work with, you still have well over 10 seconds per player.

There is no way any player should take more than 10 seconds to introduce themselves. Even if they say 'Garrett Michael Shrader the First'.

Most take 6 or 7 seconds.

If they all took 10 seconds and you put in a 2 second spacer between each to allow the audience to properly digest the videos, it would take 180 seconds. Most of the players are well below that. Like Mark Petry: 'Mark Petry, OT, Germany'. Boom. Done in 5 seconds.

So this segment should fit into the standard 2:55 timeout window with absolutely no problems.

Now if they get greedy and try to put in some ads...yes, this will end up a ruined super hurried mess. Like it is now.

Please don't ruin a nicely done segment. Let the players talk. Let the audience listen. Work in the ad later. The world will not end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom