The View From 331: NC State | Syracusefan.com

The View From 331: NC State

DoubleDee

All American
Wow. It’s October, and we are bowl eligible. In October. October. With no loses. In October. Bowl eligible. October. It’s real good to be Orange.

I will take some heat for this post, but I’m going to do it with as much sensibility as possible. But I’ll save that for last.

The bass is ridiculous. I guess the ONE thing that works with this god awful sound system is the bass. Pete said this week it would be fine because of the AIS factor. But was wrong.

If anyone knows the marching band announcer, sit him down, give him a cocktail, and have a calm, man to man, punch in the mouth. Dude, STOP YELLING. It doesn’t work. Same goes to the “host”. Either “talk”, or let’s end it.

I’ve said it before, I love the class that is shown when the band faces the visitors section and plays the oppositions fight song. Anyone seen this elsewhere, where other bands play ours at an away game?

Ok, here comes the “holier than thou” or “get off my lawn” portion of the post.

I knew it would be a reasonably full house. And I knew it would come with a handful of irritations. The first one came in the form of a mass of people flooding my aisle. Of them, were some clearly not holding tickets for the aisle, when they tell the rest of them still on the stairs there is no more room, and suddenly we are all smooshed in more than normal. Irritation rose when I started to feel like I spent more time sitting sideways than I did forward, letting a constant parade of stumbling drunks by. And I sit on the aisle, so it was tough considering there was also a constant parade up and down the stairs. I expect, and am certainly fine with some drinking. When it starts to effect my good time I have a problem. It got to the point where multiple people in my row would come up the stairs and I would turn to let them in, and they would keep going. So I would turn back and then they would come back. Kind of bothering me twice in one trip. When you can’t find your seat, you should stop. Or look at your tic… oh right, you don’t have one. The guy behind me said exactly what I was thinking. As much as we like to see a full house, a couple thousand of these folks could take a hike. Everyone enjoys things to different levels, but again, you can’t start effecting others. People passing you, using you as a prop. Dumping their drinks, stepping on your feet, etc. A guy in front of me, could not have weighed 140 pounds. He chugged, and I mean chugged beer, after cider, after seltzer, after twisted tea, after beer, after seltzer. I don’t know where he put it, but it undoubtedly had to have come back out at some point. He visibly was choking down vomit on more than one occasion, it was obvious. I’m sure he ended up losing the battle, I’m just glad it was after the game ended. The girl sitting next to him was the same situation. Fortunately she must have gotten lost and never came back after the third. These folks aren’t here for the game. They aren’t even going to remember it. You could spend half the money, and get more booze, watching it elsewhere. Please do that.

Anyway, vent over. What a fun season so far. I’m glad Dino stayed off the hot seat. Looks like no matter what happens now it was the right decision.

Til next time.
LGO

This post makes me glad I sit down in 117 closer to the field. We have the same lovely group around us most weeks. Occasionally have some fun rude newbies but usually the price keeps those folks away.

Individual seats should hopefully solve most of these problems. Demand at 44k seats for a winning team will create a fun dynamic. And help with concourse issues too.

This is where bigger concourses, and more places to sit/stand and eat and drink while watching on TV or maybe even seeing the field from the concourse would be major, if that could ever be realistically accomplished. I don’t expect everyone there to be a diehard Orange fan who doesn’t want to miss a play, because I’ve been to tons of sports games where I didn’t care all that much about the game, and it was simply a fun day out. See every Syracuse Mets or minor league baseball game I’ve ever been to. Went to a Charlotte Hornets game last year - probably spent at least a quarter of the game sitting at a table near the bar on the upper level concourse - semi watching the game from there. If the Dome could somehow get that, it would largely solve this issue as a lot of the drunks would just hang out there.

Couldn’t agree more about the people screaming over the PA System. Why do they do that? They don’t know how microphones work?

Wow. It’s October, and we are bowl eligible. In October. October. With no loses. In October. Bowl eligible. October. It’s real good to be Orange.

I will take some heat for this post, but I’m going to do it with as much sensibility as possible. But I’ll save that for last.

The bass is ridiculous. I guess the ONE thing that works with this god awful sound system is the bass. Pete said this week it would be fine because of the AIS factor. But was wrong.

If anyone knows the marching band announcer, sit him down, give him a cocktail, and have a calm, man to man, punch in the mouth. Dude, STOP YELLING. It doesn’t work. Same goes to the “host”. Either “talk”, or let’s end it.

I’ve said it before, I love the class that is shown when the band faces the visitors section and plays the oppositions fight song. Anyone seen this elsewhere, where other bands play ours at an away game?

I knew it would be a reasonably full house. And I knew it would come with a handful of irritations. The first one came in the form of a mass of people flooding my aisle. Of them, were some clearly not holding tickets for the aisle, when they tell the rest of them still on the stairs there is no more room, and suddenly we are all smooshed in more than normal. Irritation rose when I started to feel like I spent more time sitting sideways than I did forward, letting a constant parade of stumbling drunks by. And I sit on the aisle, so it was tough considering there was also a constant parade up and down the stairs. I expect, and am certainly fine with some drinking. When it starts to effect my good time I have a problem. It got to the point where multiple people in my row would come up the stairs and I would turn to let them in, and they would keep going. So I would turn back and then they would come back. Kind of bothering me twice in one trip. When you can’t find your seat, you should stop. Or look at your tic… oh right, you don’t have one. The guy behind me said exactly what I was thinking. As much as we like to see a full house, a couple thousand of these folks could take a hike. Everyone enjoys things to different levels, but again, you can’t start effecting others. People passing you, using you as a prop. Dumping their drinks, stepping on your feet, etc. A guy in front of me, could not have weighed 140 pounds. He chugged, and I mean chugged beer, after cider, after seltzer, after twisted tea, after beer, after seltzer. I don’t know where he put it, but it undoubtedly had to have come back out at some point. He visibly was choking down vomit on more than one occasion, it was obvious. I’m sure he ended up losing the battle, I’m just glad it was after the game ended. The girl sitting next to him was the same situation. Fortunately she must have gotten lost and never came back after the third. These folks aren’t here for the game. They aren’t even going to remember it. You could spend half the money, and get more booze, watching it elsewhere. Please do that.

Anyway, vent over. What a fun season so far. I’m glad Dino stayed off the hot seat. Looks like no matter what happens now it was the right decision.

Til next time.
LGO
Some people go because it's the cool thing to do. I don't get it, but I guess we have to accept those people to have a full house. When I had season tickets, I would go to the bathroom before kickoff and stay in my spot until the 4th quarter clock hit zeros. I was there for the football.

This is where bigger concourses, and more places to sit/stand and eat and drink while watching on TV or maybe even seeing the field from the concourse would be major, if that could ever be realistically accomplished. I don’t expect everyone there to be a diehard Orange fan who doesn’t want to miss a play, because I’ve been to tons of sports games where I didn’t care all that much about the game, and it was simply a fun day out. See every Syracuse Mets or minor league baseball game I’ve ever been to. Went to a Charlotte Hornets game last year - probably spent at least a quarter of the game sitting at a table near the bar on the upper level concourse - semi watching the game from there. If the Dome could somehow get that, it would largely solve this issue as a lot of the drunks would just hang out there.

Couldn’t agree more about the people screaming over the PA System. Why do they do that? They don’t know how microphones work?
Yeah. Learn the trick that singers use when belting a loud note. They pull the mic from an inch away from their mouth to a foot away. You get the effect you want without the distortion.

Went to the Dome for the Purdue game. First time ever there. Sat in the lower section. Was surprised that the usher didn't confirm our tickets. First stadium I've been to where tickets weren't checked, especially sitting in the lower section of the stadium. Heck, they check them in the HS football stadiums here in Texas.

Yeah, I don't know how you do it in the dome, and its probably not possible, but those party decks are popular everywhere. Sometimes you don't like your seat for whatever reason and it's nice to have a GA area available for people without having to climb 26 flights of stairs. They should consider setting up party areas with huge TV's close to concessions and restrooms.

I just need to say that there was a student in front of me in 315 who bought a 5 dollar dome dog, ate half of it, and just threw the other half... somewhere into the crowd. Gross.
Sat in 315. Row V. Last row. 4 seats, two straddling either side of the aisle. Space to lean back and use the cold concrete as a seat back as well as the 18" from seat to dome wall. Honestly, no place I'd rather be and thinking of scooping those as seasons next year, pending seat upgrades. Stood the whole game and no one behind me to tell me to sit down or shut up. Though that didn't stop my wife and kids from filling that role.

Sat in 315. Row V. Last row. 4 seats, two straddling either side of the aisle. Space to lean back and use the cold concrete as a seat back as well as the 18" from seat to dome wall. Honestly, no place I'd rather be and thinking of scooping those as seasons next year, pending seat upgrades. Stood the whole game and no one behind me to tell me to sit down or shut up. Though that didn't stop my wife and kids from filling that role.
...Are you me? Are the guy that just stood in isle? Love it back there, can do whatever you want.

Til next time.
LGO
I would like to see this ridiculous bass you speak of, sounds like a fish story

its pretty the norm now.. these last 40% of people coming are there for the party not the game.. Kids running all over.. getting food 2-3 times a quarter. And what are the ushers doing letting people walk up during a live game to sit.. if you go out you dont come back in until a break.. Thats how it is at our arena for sports. the last couple MLB games it was the same.. no walking in until a break.

Give everyone Veley’s headset. He comes across clean and clear.

its pretty the norm now.. these last 40% of people coming are there for the party not the game.. Kids running all over.. getting food 2-3 times a quarter. And what are the ushers doing letting people walk up during a live game to sit.. if you go out you dont come back in until a break.. Thats how it is at our arena for sports. the last couple MLB games it was the same.. no walking in until a break.
My row this year is the woooorst. Non stop people up. No one gives a crap that’s it’s a critical 3rd down.

Crunch ushers will dive on you if you try to get to your seat during live action. Done should adopt that policy. You get up? Fine. You’re not getting bank to your seat until the next time out.

I couldn’t agree more, I sit on the aisle in 332 and the entire 1Q was rough with constant foot traffic on the stairs. During live plays too.

No one knew where they were supposed to be sitting and they were just standing in the stairs looking around. Also a constant parade of snacks. Up and down, up and down.

The ushers do a great job in the Dome but they gotta tighten that up.

Last edited:
I was also thinking the other night…

If someone was to be asked for their ticket to make sure they were not sitting in someone else’s seats, what percentage of people could actually present one? For my four seats, the tickets are on my phone. So I’m sure some of the folks who clearly did not have a ticket in my section, may not have even been able to prove they did or didn’t by providing a ticket.

I couldn’t agree more, I sit on the aisle in 332 and the entire 1Q was rough with constant foot traffic on the stairs. During live plays too.

No one knew where they were supposed to be sitting and they were just standing in the stairs looking around. Also a constant parade of snacks. Up and down, up and down.

The ushers do a great job in the Dome but they gotta tighten that up.
It is a thankless job but on big games they also need to tighten up on the crew who has two tickets but tries to bring 5 people. I can't wait for actual seats.

I average 1.75 spilled beers per game over the past 28 years. Please tell me the individual seats will have cup holders in front of you. They must right?

Til next time.
LGO
If you have a 50% increase in attendance in, you have to expect that 90%+ will be casuals and that 90%+ of those are in the building for the event not the football. The diehards are already in the building.

If you want to make sure you have enough room, spring for the cushions with your season tix.. We definitely had extra girth or extra people in our row during the NC St. game. The people sitting on silver were sitting sideways. We were all comfortably seated on the cushions.

I know you aisle guys love your aisle seats. I sit right in the middle of the section and never have to get up unless I'm going someplace. Problem solved.

Went to the Dome for the Purdue game. First time ever there. Sat in the lower section. Was surprised that the usher didn't confirm our tickets. First stadium I've been to where tickets weren't checked, especially sitting in the lower section of the stadium. Heck, they check them in the HS football stadiums here in Texas.
And no stop at the Fine Mess?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom