The what if..Jim Brown/Ernie Davis? | Syracusefan.com

The what if..Jim Brown/Ernie Davis?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
This comes from the Packer.com forum

Matt from Cumberland, RI

I’m a big Packers fan and love the column. I read it every day. I realized no one has ever brought up Ernie Davis, the running back out of Syracuse who was drafted by the Browns and would have been alongside Jim Brown. It’s a shame he died before he even played in a professional game. Do you think we missed out on what could have been the best running back tandem ever?

It’s the great unknown: How was Paul Brown going to blend his usage of Jim Brown and Davis? Jim Brown ran in a split-backs formation. He was the fullback, or dominant running back. Ernie Green would become his halfback, or dominant blocking back. Halfbacks blocked a lot and ran a little.

Fullbacks ran a lot and blocked a little, but Jim Brown all but refused to block. So, was Paul Brown going to use Davis as Green was used? If that was the plan, then one of those great backs wasn’t going to get as many carries as he had been accustomed. How would Jim Brown have reacted to a reduction in rushing attempts?

Would Davis have been as effective a blocker as Green would be? Would Paul Brown have traded Jim Brown and replaced him with Davis? Paul Brown was a strict disciplinarian and Jim Brown wasn’t in the Paul Brown mold. We’ll never know the answers to those questions.

Click

Ernie Davis was a bigger Walter Payton. Jim Brown was Jim Brown. Any good coach would have found a way to utilize their talents to the fullest. Brown was quoted at the time that Brown ran him too much so I don't think he would have objected to sharing the load- or to blocking for Ernie. He didn't like to block because he wanted to conserve his energy for all the carries he was getting. Remember that at Syracuse he played one platoon football, offense and defense and did the kicking as well. He was an all-around player.

Ernie Davis was a bigger Walter Payton. Jim Brown was Jim Brown. Any good coach would have found a way to utilize their talents to the fullest. Brown was quoted at the time that Brown ran him too much so I don't think he would have objected to sharing the load- or to blocking for Ernie. He didn't like to block because he wanted to conserve his energy for all the carries he was getting. Remember that at Syracuse he played one platoon football, offense and defense and did the kicking as well. He was an all-around player.

Ernie Davis was Marcus Allen.

Not Walter Payton.

Ernie Davis was Marcus Allen.

Not Walter Payton.

That's a good comparison, too. A pretty darn good player either way. I think he would have been a good compliment to Big Jim, not a rival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom