The Worst Basketball Announcer Ever | Syracusefan.com

The Worst Basketball Announcer Ever

Col. Bleep

All American
I hate to say it...but I've finally heard someone worse than John Thompson.

I had the misfortune of having to listen to the second half of MSU-Ohio State Sunday.
(I was driving).
The color guy on the broadcast over WEPN was Rick Mahorn.
After every single play he opened his mouth with an absolutely insipid, stupid, inane, add nothing, cliched bit of nonsense.
His attempt at pulling some kind of Walt Frazier meets Bill Rafftery schtick was absurd.
It was so bad that I was compelled to keep listening.
So bad that the PBP guy NEVER responded to a thing he said.
Not once...after I started keeping track.

At least Thompson kept quiet once in a while... probably when he was munching lunch.
But Mahorn prattled on every time there was a second of dead air.
Absolutely the worst.
Another guy you have to be amazed has a job.

If you don't appreciate Bill then you're clearly posting in the wrong forum.
I must be in the minority as well because I cant stand that fuker

/
OMG that was incredible!!!! I think that guy gets castrated mid freak out.

It really is unbelievable. Half the time, you can't even understand what the hell he's saying. On top of that, you'd think that a radio announcer would be more cognizant of how he sounds. That voice is unflattering--to put it mildly.

It really is unbelievable. Half the time, you can't even understand what the hell he's saying. On top of that, you'd think that a radio announcer would be more cognizant of how he sounds. That voice is unflattering--to put it mildly.[/quote]

Hes like a high pitched, screeching, brain damaged Gus Johnson.

I hate to say it...but I've finally heard someone worse than John Thompson.

I had the misfortune of having to listen to the second half of MSU-Ohio State Sunday.
(I was driving).
The color guy on the broadcast over WEPN was Rick Mahorn.
After every single play he opened his mouth with an absolutely insipid, stupid, inane, add nothing, cliched bit of nonsense.
His attempt at pulling some kind of Walt Frazier meets Bill Rafftery schtick was absurd.
It was so bad that I was compelled to keep listening.
So bad that the PBP guy NEVER responded to a thing he said.
Not once...after I started keeping track.

At least Thompson kept quiet once in a while... probably when he was munching lunch.
But Mahorn prattled on every time there was a second of dead air.
Absolutely the worst.
Another guy you have to be amazed has a job.
Completely agree. Was driving home to Ohio from the BET in NYC and thought that might have been the worst announcing combo in history. Just awful. Close game. Coming down to the wire, and I'm literally yelling at my radio "how much time?" Simple things that should be basic info for radio pbp.

Local Friday night high school guys can do a better job than Mahorn and whoever his sidekick was.

Completely agree. Was driving home to Ohio from the BET in NYC and thought that might have been the worst announcing combo in history. Just awful. Close game. Coming down to the wire, and I'm literally yelling at my radio "how much time?" Simple things that should be basic info for radio pbp.

Local Friday night high school guys can do a better job than Mahorn and whoever his sidekick was.
You're right.
I kept shouting the same thing..."how much time?"

I was so overwhelmed by the absolute inane nonsense coming out of Mahorn that I
couldn't really kill the PBP guy. I just imagined him fuming that he had to work with Mahorn.
But now that you mention it, the guy doing PBP was Matt "Money" Smith...who should be
slammed just for repeatedly using the dopey nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_"Money"_Smith

And as much as I appreciate "Screech" doing the Chicago high school PBP and "Screaming" Gus Johnson
who mistakes shrieking for excitement...at least they talk about the game.
Rick Mahorn was speaking absolute pure nonsense. It had to be heard to be fully appreciated.
Worse that John Thompson!
Do you realize how bad that has to be???!!!

The best thing about that Marist announcer isnt even the screeching, maniacal, high pitched freak out, its the fact hes nicknaming high school kids Nick "The Quick" and "Hot Rod" Williams...What lol.

You're right.
I kept shouting the same thing..."how much time?"

I was so overwhelmed by the absolute inane nonsense coming out of Mahorn that I
couldn't really kill the PBP guy. I just imagined him fuming that he had to work with Mahorn.
But now that you mention it, the guy doing PBP was Matt "Money" Smith...who should be
slammed just for repeatedly using the dopey nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_"Money"_Smith

And as much as I appreciate "Screech" doing the Chicago high school PBP and "Screaming" Gus Johnson
who mistakes shrieking for excitement...at least they talk about the game.
Rick Mahorn was speaking absolute pure nonsense. It had to be heard to be fully appreciated.
Worse that John Thompson!
Do you realize how bad that has to be???!!!
Maybe Matt "Money" Smith can hang out with Nick "The Quick" and "Hot Rod" Williams. Gus Johnson is freakin awesome though. I know people either hate him or love him, as long as hes not doing a game where we get upset, he is amazing. It sucks he wont be doing the tournament this year. Kevin Harlan is pretty exciting too.