The Zone | Syracusefan.com

The Zone

Hogtowncuse

2023-24 Iggy Winner 2nd Most Minutes
So, I seldom post because I'm not able to watch that many games here in Toronto. But I am a loyal Orange fan and I check out this site virtually every day. I don't think I've seen this discussed but I think there's an angle re the zone that should be examined.

The previously vaunted Syracuse defense has been MIA for the past 2 or 3 seasons at a minimum. Yesterday's game was a great example. There is no way that Syracuse would have given up 97 points to Duke in years gone by (or Colgate over 100)...no matter how talented the Blue Devils were at the time. I understand that this years' team is lacking quickness and athleticism which means late closings on shooters, lacklustre rebounding, and frequently open passing lanes. But 97...never...in fact under 50 was sometimes a possibility.

While I don't have stats to back this up, I suggest that the 2/3 zone has become outdated and totally ineffective because today's players shoot the 3 far more often and are much better at making them (i.e., the Steph Curry effect). Even if they don't make them, we are so concerned that they might, we run at the shooters leaving us open to interior passes and rebounds that we can't stop. Maybe someone with access to the stats can verify my hypothesis...that the zone is a dinosaur and must be scrapped...although I doubt JB will ever scrap his "baby".

So, I seldom post because I'm not able to watch that many games here in Toronto. But I am a loyal Orange fan and I check out this site virtually every day. I don't think I've seen this discussed but I think there's an angle re the zone that should be examined.

The previously vaunted Syracuse defense has been MIA for the past 2 or 3 seasons at a minimum. Yesterday's game was a great example. There is no way that Syracuse would have given up 97 points to Duke in years gone by (or Colgate over 100)...no matter how talented the Blue Devils were at the time. I understand that this years' team is lacking quickness and athleticism which means late closings on shooters, lacklustre rebounding, and frequently open passing lanes. But 97...never...in fact under 50 was sometimes a possibility.

While I don't have stats to back this up, I suggest that the 2/3 zone has become outdated and totally ineffective because today's players shoot the 3 far more often and are much better at making them (i.e., the Steph Curry effect). Even if they don't make them, we are so concerned that they might, we run at the shooters leaving us open to interior passes and rebounds that we can't stop. Maybe someone with access to the stats can verify my hypothesis...that the zone is a dinosaur and must be scrapped...although I doubt JB will ever scrap his "baby".
If syracuse has the personal for Zone it works !!!!

We’re only four years removed from a top five defense that we rode to the sweet sixteen. I think it can work still but we better have the players and we better have the team experience/chemistry to make it work.

And right now we have neither.

The ball moves faster than do even the best athletes. EVERY team now has at LEAST three three point shooters on the floor at any one time.

The game has changed, the zone is an outmoded Jurassic D that should not be any teams exclusive defense.

in yesterday’s game it was simply shocking how many times duke needed only one pass to free up a trey shooter. That is not even about athletes, that is about the so called master of the zone D not even being able to coach it effectively. Sorry, jurrasic Jimmy’s time has come and gone.

maybe a couple of paleontologists on staff would help.

The ball moves faster than do even the best athletes. EVERY team now has at LEAST three three point shooters on the floor at any one time.

The game has changed, the zone is an outmoded Jurassic D that should not be any teams exclusive defense.

in yesterday’s game it was simply shocking how many times duke needed only one pass to free up a trey shooter. That is not even about athletes, that is about the so called master of the zone D not even being able to coach it effectively. Sorry, jurrasic Jimmy’s time has come and gone.

maybe a couple of paleontologists on staff would help.
It’s not even about coaching it effectively. A good passing and shooting team will always beat a zone.

2-3 zone really needs GREAT communication and TRUST.

You have to really know your teammates and what they are going to do, who to pas off to..who needs to collapse and you have to trust that said person is gone to do their job

With that being said it takes a good 2/3 years of playing together to really grow that

In this day and age of college basketball that seldom happens are our level in division 1 basketball.

Because of that, the 2-3 zone sadly for us is absolutely outdated. However, it is still highly effective if played the right way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom