Then and Now Part 5: the linebackers | Syracusefan.com

Then and Now Part 5: the linebackers

SWC75

Bored Historian
Then:
Mikel Jones: Sean Tucker is our All-America candidate on offense. On defense, it’s Mikel Jones. He came here from Miami, a blue-chipper at #437/#24 as an outside linebacker, although he’s played inside more for SU. He’s the captain of the defense and could have jumped to the pros but elected to come back for a fourth year. He’s a ball-hawk with “218 career tackles (113 solo), 17.0 TFLs, 5.5 sacks, four interceptions, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in his career.” (Cuse.com) Nunes: “This is where Mikel wants to put it all together - and why can’t he? If he can combine some of his coverage from 2020 with his improved QB pressure of last season, then it will be a stellar year for the veteran leader. Jones is on watch lists for the Butkus Award (top LB), Nagurski Trophy (most outstanding defensive player), and the Bednarik Award (national defensive player of the year).” Jones: ““My mentality is to play aggressive, to play physical and with the most effort,” Jones said. “We do that, with this defense, with how it’s set up and with the players we have on it, there’s nobody stopping us.” Errr….Mikel- you’re trying to stop them!

Now:
Mikel was easy to spot on the field because he had his arms wrapped in circles of tape like a barber’s poll. He was equally prominent when the ball was snapped. He was second on the team with 84 tackles - 10 for a loss and fumble recovery. He was the captain and leader on what was a strong defense when fully healthy and that hung in there through all the injuries. He was a 3 time all-ACC player. He’s on his way to the NFL after giving us four years of exceptional service and will be very hard to replace.

Then:
Stefon Thompson is our biggest linebacker at 6-1 250, which makes him a monster in this defense. (It will be interesting to see the 219 pound Linton at end, backed up by the 250 pound Thompson or the 239 pound Marlowe Wax). In two years, he’s played 22 games and started 19. “Has 114 tackles, 9.0 sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles”. (Cuse.com) 247 had him at #1,135/51 as an inside linebacker. Nunes: “Is in that platoon with Marlowe Wax and Mikel Jones as the first tier linebackers. He also added fifteen pounds to his frame in the off-season so there’s a chance we see him more with his hand on the ground rather than dropped in coverage.”

Now:
Unfortunately, this monster was defeated by the injury monster in game #1, (just like Chris Elmore). He’ll be back this year, maybe as even more of a monster. But we never got to see our outstanding team of starting linebackers playing together, except early in that first game.

Then:
Marlowe Wax, like Josh Hough came here as a big-time running back prospect who was also good on defense and the staff felt he could help us more there. I love his name- he can really ‘wax’ those ball carriers. 247 had him #1,268/#77 as a running back. He’s played in 23 games and started 12 of them.
“Enters the 2022 season with 93 career tackles (60 solo), 12.5 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.” (Cuse.com) Nunes: “The Syracuse Orange linebacking unit has its top three with Wax, Mikel Jones and Stefon Thompson locked in, experienced and ready to contribute. He’s one of the lynchpins and will be starting as many games as he can. He seems to have a penchant for getting in the backfield as well, so we may see some serious disruption from some stunts here and there.” Jones, Thompson and Wax are the best threesome we’ve had at linebacker since Zaire Franklin, Parris Bennett and Jonathan Thomas in 2017.

Now:
Wax matured into a star in his own right, leading the team with 91 tackles, 11 for losses and recovered 2 fumbles. He and Thompson will be towers of strength for our 2023 team.

Then:
Derek McDonald is a Georgian who was rated #1,453/77 as a tight end but got into two games last year as a linebacker and that’s where he’s stayed. Nunes: “With the starting LBs set in stone and many other underclassmen on the roster, McDonald will have to fight for consistent playing time. He could rotate in as needed but this is still probably a development year.”

Leon Lowery came out of New Jersey as 247’s #1,482/73 ‘weakside defensive end’. He’s been a reserve linebacker here and in two years “has seven tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss in five games played”. (Cusde.com). Nunes: “The starting linebackers are set so Lowery will be used to give them a rest as well as on special teams. His quickest way onto the field this fall would be to excel in coverage which is an area the Orange could use some help.”

Anwar Sparrow is a Virginian who played in three games last year and made two tackles. The 247 site doesn’t have a rating for him but Cuse.com says that he was “the No. 76 inside linebacker in the Class of 2020 by 247Sports.com”. Nunes: “Sparrow won’t start, but he could find himself some solid work late in certain games. The LB core is VERY young so second-team spots are really anyone’s to grab. Otherwise pay attention to special teams as that’s where he’ll likely end up.”

Now:
These guys filled in for Thompson and gave Jones and Wax some rest when they needed it and played very well. Sparrow played in 11 games and had 40 tackles- 6 for losses and a recovered fumble. (He played like an eagle) Lowery played 12 games and had 24 tackles with 6TFLs while McDonald played 9 games with 43 tackles and 2TFLs. The experience they got will give us strong depth in this unit and these players a leg up on a starting position.

Then:
Mikel Jones: Sean Tucker is our All-America candidate on offense. On defense, it’s Mikel Jones. He came here from Miami, a blue-chipper at #437/#24 as an outside linebacker, although he’s played inside more for SU. He’s the captain of the defense and could have jumped to the pros but elected to come back for a fourth year. He’s a ball-hawk with “218 career tackles (113 solo), 17.0 TFLs, 5.5 sacks, four interceptions, three forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries in his career.” (Cuse.com) Nunes: “This is where Mikel wants to put it all together - and why can’t he? If he can combine some of his coverage from 2020 with his improved QB pressure of last season, then it will be a stellar year for the veteran leader. Jones is on watch lists for the Butkus Award (top LB), Nagurski Trophy (most outstanding defensive player), and the Bednarik Award (national defensive player of the year).” Jones: ““My mentality is to play aggressive, to play physical and with the most effort,” Jones said. “We do that, with this defense, with how it’s set up and with the players we have on it, there’s nobody stopping us.” Errr….Mikel- you’re trying to stop them!

Now:
Mikel was easy to spot on the field because he had his arms wrapped in circles of tape like a barber’s poll. He was equally prominent when the ball was snapped. He was second on the team with 84 tackles - 10 for a loss and fumble recovery. He was the captain and leader on what was a strong defense when fully healthy and that hung in there through all the injuries. He was a 3 time all-ACC player. He’s on his way to the NFL after giving us four years of exceptional service and will be very hard to replace.

Then:
Stefon Thompson is our biggest linebacker at 6-1 250, which makes him a monster in this defense. (It will be interesting to see the 219 pound Linton at end, backed up by the 250 pound Thompson or the 239 pound Marlowe Wax). In two years, he’s played 22 games and started 19. “Has 114 tackles, 9.0 sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles”. (Cuse.com) 247 had him at #1,135/51 as an inside linebacker. Nunes: “Is in that platoon with Marlowe Wax and Mikel Jones as the first tier linebackers. He also added fifteen pounds to his frame in the off-season so there’s a chance we see him more with his hand on the ground rather than dropped in coverage.”

Now:
Unfortunately, this monster was defeated by the injury monster in game #1, (just like Chris Elmore). He’ll be back this year, maybe as even more of a monster. But we never got to see our outstanding team of starting linebackers playing together, except early in that first game.

Then:
Marlowe Wax, like Josh Hough came here as a big-time running back prospect who was also good on defense and the staff felt he could help us more there. I love his name- he can really ‘wax’ those ball carriers. 247 had him #1,268/#77 as a running back. He’s played in 23 games and started 12 of them.
“Enters the 2022 season with 93 career tackles (60 solo), 12.5 tackles for loss, 7.0 sacks, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.” (Cuse.com) Nunes: “The Syracuse Orange linebacking unit has its top three with Wax, Mikel Jones and Stefon Thompson locked in, experienced and ready to contribute. He’s one of the lynchpins and will be starting as many games as he can. He seems to have a penchant for getting in the backfield as well, so we may see some serious disruption from some stunts here and there.” Jones, Thompson and Wax are the best threesome we’ve had at linebacker since Zaire Franklin, Parris Bennett and Jonathan Thomas in 2017.

Now:
Wax matured into a star in his own right, leading the team with 91 tackles, 11 for losses and recovered 2 fumbles. He and Thompson will be towers of strength for our 2023 team.

Then:
Derek McDonald is a Georgian who was rated #1,453/77 as a tight end but got into two games last year as a linebacker and that’s where he’s stayed. Nunes: “With the starting LBs set in stone and many other underclassmen on the roster, McDonald will have to fight for consistent playing time. He could rotate in as needed but this is still probably a development year.”

Leon Lowery came out of New Jersey as 247’s #1,482/73 ‘weakside defensive end’. He’s been a reserve linebacker here and in two years “has seven tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss in five games played”. (Cusde.com). Nunes: “The starting linebackers are set so Lowery will be used to give them a rest as well as on special teams. His quickest way onto the field this fall would be to excel in coverage which is an area the Orange could use some help.”

Anwar Sparrow is a Virginian who played in three games last year and made two tackles. The 247 site doesn’t have a rating for him but Cuse.com says that he was “the No. 76 inside linebacker in the Class of 2020 by 247Sports.com”. Nunes: “Sparrow won’t start, but he could find himself some solid work late in certain games. The LB core is VERY young so second-team spots are really anyone’s to grab. Otherwise pay attention to special teams as that’s where he’ll likely end up.”

Now:
These guys filled in for Thompson and gave Jones and Wax some rest when they needed it and played very well. Sparrow played in 11 games and had 40 tackles- 6 for losses and a recovered fumble. (He played like an eagle) Lowery played 12 games and had 24 tackles with 6TFLs while McDonald played 9 games with 43 tackles and 2TFLs. The experience they got will give us strong depth in this unit and these players a leg up on a starting position.
Thanks for the recap good job on that period makes me a little nervous I mean a lot of those guys I don't think we can replace but I don't know it's just a lot of unknowns so you never really know exactly what you're going to get with that when they get to the field full time but we're going to find out

. I think definitely for me the quarterback is a strong point comma running back I think we'll be fine wide receivers are good,
the offensive line I think has to take a step back with Bergeron leaving but we still have the guy from Florida

I can't remember his name LOL so that's good news and I hope as a whole we can be better because even though we had Bergeron I think we just underachieved because of coaching deficiencies.

We just did not have a lot of time to throw the ball and just not a lot of room for Tucker to run.I think Tucker could have had a much better year so he did very well considering.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recap good job on that period makes me a little nervous I mean a lot of those guys I don't think we can replace but I don't know it's just a lot of unknowns so you never really know exactly what you're going to get with that when they get to the field full time but we're going to find out. I think definitely for me the quarterback is a strong point comma running back I think we'll be fine wide receivers are good,
the offensive line I think has to take a step back with Bergeron leaving but we still have the guy from Florida I can't remember his name LOL so that's good news and I hope as a whole we can be better because even though we had Bergeron I think we just underachieved because of coaching deficiencies. We just did not have a lot of time to throw the ball and just not a lot of room for Tucker to run comma I think Tucker could have had a much better year so he did very well considering.
I'm a defensive side now I got to do more research so I'm not going to act like I got it all down pat over here but I like the Alabama transfer definitely because there's not a lot of times we have a big mobile athletic

defensive tackle like that with that kind of pedigree behind him. It's a shame we only have them for a year the linebackers we covered but the thing I'm more I'm mostly excited with the defensive backs and luckily we have more than them than anybody on the field because of the defense we play I think the transfers are

going to be really good period at least it looks that way on paper and we still have alijah Clark with his two New Jersey Buddies and I like that because these guys already know each other and that could be something special back there, even better than last season.

One thing I'm worried about is the one thing we always worry about is the depth. I mean the recruiting class still bothers me comma I'm referring to the ranking and just the lack of offers that these guys had and that just

seems really just kind of unacceptable at the level we are at but we'll see because a lot of these guys came out of areas that don't get a lot of coverage so there's that so who knows comma could be a lot of Diamonds in the Rough and I really hope that is the case. Also that we got more into New York City and upstate New

York but unfortunately at the same time that coincides with wire ranking was so low. so definitely could be a win-win

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom