There were signs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

There were signs

Agreed if the solution is just expect Brissett and Battle to play better we are going to be in trouble. These guys need a margin of error for the team to be able to win games.
It’s not fair how much is put on their shoulders. We literally didn’t bring anyone in to help the center spot. Last year it gave us very little and we didn’t bring in another option.

I like Braswell as a developmental guy he will help down the road. That is a good scholarship use.
We got Carey who will be a stud and then because we didn’t add a big gave Buddy a scholarship while we had one open. I believe JB would take him off if he could find another player to use it on.
Our offense identity is basically give the ball to our best players and let them make plays/shots.
We can’t complain when they struggle 3 games in a row and the coach doesn’t tweak the system.

I have a feeling we will slow down the pace soon. If JB thinks we can’t press UConn then we won’t press a lot of teams. Poof...there goes that strategy and possible offense from the press/transition. It’s going to back to grinders and winning with the zone while praying we score enough.

I said in a different thread that it almost looks like he’s changed his shooting stroke. He’s holding the ball higher and releasing it. I think it’s an attempt to get rid of the jerk in his shot. But I doesn’t appear that it’s helped with accuracy.

Its definitely different, remains to be seen if that means better

Can't speak to other games as this was my first look at this year's team, but Sid had 5 boards in only 12 minutes. That showed he was at least battling inside, more than can be said about Chuk, Marek, or Oshae.

Begs the question for jimmy, why not more Sid when we were getting smashed off the glass all game long ?

Chuk and marek COMBINED for 1 D (which was Marek's) rebound the entire game. Does it get more pathetic than that ???

I don't know if Marek's board was when he played C or F, so it is possible that other than Sid we did not get a single D board from the center position the entire game !!!
Sid had 4 fouls in 12 minutes. He has trouble staying on the court even if JB wanted to give him more minutes.

I have a feeling we will slow down the pace soon. If JB thinks we can’t press UConn then we won’t press a lot of teams. Poof...there goes that strategy and possible offense from the press/transition. It’s going to back to grinders and winning with the zone while praying we score enough.
It's the same team as last year plus Hughes and Cary. Why does anyone think JB is going to play any different style than last year.

It's the same team as last year plus Hughes and Cary. Why does anyone think JB is going to play any different style than last year.

Yup and Buddy’s minutes will be minimal. There goes that idea of him coming in and being some deadly sniper this season giving us all this extra scoring. Hughes is good and. Carey will be good. Good college players. It’s not like we are bringing in these All-Americans. Any good Top 25 team have players like Hughes and Carey.

Respectfully disagree, based on something JB said in an earlier post-game presser, about the press working "when it works." I don't think he ever thought we could successfully press UCONN with their guards. Doesn't mean he doesn't think the press will work against other teams.

Last edited:
The scheme is literally try to create for yourself. They are going to take and make/miss tough shots. That’s who they are. With Frank or without Frank. It was the same offense of standing around and driving into traffic. The staff allows bad shots because that is what they do! They overdribble constantly. Tyus dribbled at least once off his leg and out bounds trying to go through his legs or something.
Which is bizarre if the stories of how much basketball JB watches are true. How can you watch the New Models of Golden State and Villanova and not be inspired by offenses that share and move the ball around to create opportunities? I hate our 1-on-1 scheme. We have some talented players who should have a system that makes things easier for them, not one that challenges them to play Hero/Chump Ball on every possession. Feels silly to criticize the offense so early in the season, but it’s not like we need to wait to ‘see how things play out.’ It’s not a Small Sample Size scenario. It’s a continuation of trend. I hope the cheerleaders aren’t going to justify it with ‘we can still go to a final four with it.’ I actually want to win more regular season games, be/remain ranked and attractive to better recruits, and not worry about tourney seeding.

I love our team in so many ways but damn, I wish we moved the ball on offense. I wonder how high this teams ceiling would be if we made the extra pass for open looks. Way too many late clock heaves and forced shots.

Marek doesn’t always look comfortable, but he has a knack for finding guys. I wish we had more of a structure to our attack. Am I crazy to think if there was a way to run offense through him (pass in, turn face, find a man or shoot) we’d actually l record some assists?

Last edited:
Which is bizarre if the stories of how much basketball JB watches are true. How can you watch the New Models of Golden State and Villanova and not be inspired by offenses that share and move the ball around to create opportunities? I hate our 1-on-1 scheme. We have some talented players who should have a system that makes things easier for them, not one that challenges them to play Hero/Chump Ball on every possession. Feels silly to criticize the offense so early in the season, but it’s not like we need to wait to ‘see how things play out.’ It’s not a Small Sample Size scenario. It’s a continuation of trend. I hope the cheerleaders aren’t going to justify it with ‘we can still go to a final four with it.’ I actually want to win more regular season games, be/remain ranked and attractive to better recruits, and not worry about tourney seeding.
You mean you want to be entertained and win in a game that should be entertainment?
I prefer to win ugly than lose pretty but I mean when does JB realize we need to change how we run our offense. If it’s the talent that is on him.

You mean you want to be entertained and win in a game that should be entertainment?
I prefer to win ugly than lose pretty but I mean when does JB realize we need to change how we run our offense. If it’s the talent that is on him.
What are you talking about, re: "be entertained?" Where is that in anything i said?

What are you talking about, re: "be entertained?" Where is that in anything i said?
I was being sarcastic as these games are supposed to be entertainmment even when we can’t score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom