There's not one other sport where the refs pull that | Syracusefan.com

There's not one other sport where the refs pull that

College Hoops is just an awful sport during the regular season.
It has become a niche sport during March.
Talent has been drained out. I remember when Marcus Smart stayed after his Freshman year it was shocking.
Players stay one year and go on. The freaking top
10 projected picks are all Freshman. That is hilarious. None of them are dominating college this
Year.

Refs in college are all about making themselves part of the game.
They still can't call the block/charge correctly. They are worse than WWF refs.

They are worse than WWF refs.

Are you kidding? Charles "Lil' Naitch" Robinson is a fantastic official and he's still active.

Last edited:
As bad as that call was...that didn't cost us the game.
It was the generally awful offensive execution and our trademark failure to hold for a final good shot at the end of a half or a game.
That's part of what makes Battle's 3 to beat Clemson all the more remarkable.

I've said the officials sucked for a while now, but everyone thought I was a homer. Glad you guys are coming around. Doug Shows is probably one of the ten worst refs in division 1.

If you're going to blow the whistle there, the guy setting the pick has to steamroll the defensive player. Maybe throw a chop block.
Chop block obviously would have been perfectly appropriate given the setting.

Don't worry. It will get fixed by Wednesday. Smile Jefferson will set moving screens the entire game and it will never get called.

I've said the officials sucked for a while now, but everyone thought I was a homer. Glad you guys are coming around. Doug Shows is probably one of the ten worst refs in division 1.

I'm usually up on the refs but I wasn't familiar with how bad Shows is. Can't believe he wasn't on my radar.

One thing I found odd is JB made no obvious reaction to that call. I'm shocked he didn't go lunar. Maybe because the play involved Roberson? Ha.

Is it my imagination or did one ref seem to lobby on the side of Tech when ever the they discussed a call. The out of bounds of the Tech center was obvious but it looked like one ref wasn't convinced even after one of the other refs kept pointing at how the ball it the Tech leg.

I think the refs are way too inconsistent, but I don't like pinning losses on refs and not pinning wins on them - that's homerism, so I try to avoid that. The refs didn't play like garbage for 28 minutes in this game and give up something like a 27-6 run. It never should have come down to a ref's decision. That complete abdication of anything resembling defense at the end of the first half was an easy 3 points for GT.

I think the refs are way too inconsistent, but I don't like pinning losses on refs and not pinning wins on them - that's homerism, so I try to avoid that. The refs didn't play like garbage for 28 minutes in this game and give up something like a 27-6 run. It never should have come down to a ref's decision. That complete abdication of anything resembling defense at the end of the first half was an easy 3 points for GT.

You're right, but do you think it makes for a good product when they make calls like that?

If they're going to call that they need to call the handcheck on Gillon at the end of the Louisville game. We've been in a lot of close games so these calls have been magnified.

I think that's what tempered my reaction to the Roberson call. I wasn't happy and I think it was an outrageous call, but it's not like we played stellar basketball up to that point. We cost ourselves by falling asleep and blowing the 9 point lead down to 2 in the last part of the first half and playing horrible for 15 minutes in the second half.

You're right, but do you think it makes for a good product when they make calls like that?
No, I don't. However, I think that college, in particular, suffers because a ref could very well call a foul on every play. 99% of the contact under the basket is illegal. It's all discretionary, and that's what makes it difficult to watch. In baseball, umpires have slightly different strike zones, no one complains if one ump is different than another, but they complain like hell when the ump is inconsistent during the game. I thought the Gillon non-foul was the right call. He clearly goes into the lane looking for contact and not trying to make a legitimate shot. That crew was pretty consistent all game. The crew last night was a different crew (correct?).

No, I don't. However, I think that college, in particular, suffers because a ref could very well call a foul on every play. 99% of the contact under the basket is illegal. It's all discretionary, and that's what makes it difficult to watch. In baseball, umpires have slightly different strike zones, no one complains if one ump is different than another, but they complain like hell when the ump is inconsistent during the game. I thought the Gillon non-foul was the right call. He clearly goes into the lane looking for contact and not trying to make a legitimate shot. That crew was pretty consistent all game. The crew last night was a different crew (correct?).

Well the NCAA did mandate the elimination of hand checking. I'm not talking about banging down low here. There's a clear difference.

Was that the name of the guy who called the block on Roberson?

college hoop sucks. I legit hate this sport now.
I'll say this. I am pretty sure, but have not double checked, that the ref that made the illegal pick call was the same zebra that made the poor call on the out of bounds play underneath (he called it out on Lydon, but it was off Lammers). And that took 2+ minutes to review, when it was damn obvious a reversal was in order). He may have also made the call on Roberson's phantom foul on during F.Howard's 3-pointer it the closing minutes. I just got the sense he was peeved at how he was made to look bad on the review and seems to be searching out a "makeup call."

Again, I cannot check this until tonight, so if I am wrong, my apologies.

I watched it again this morning, prior to deleting the game from the DVR.

It was a really bad call.

It is amazing how poorly collegiate officials do calling screens, block / charge, etc. -- but to make that weak call and determining the game outcome and not letting the players decide is inexcusable.

I watched it again this morning, prior to deleting the game from the DVR.

It was a really bad call.

It is amazing how poorly collegiate officials do calling screens, block / charge, etc. -- but to make that weak call and determining the game outcome and not letting the players decide is inexcusable.

Agreed completely. I see our guards get hit all game long with much more illegal and moving screens and they never blow the whistle.

Agreed completely. I see our guards get hit all game long with much more illegal and moving screens and they never blow the whistle.

Agree 100%. There was a play earlier where a GT screener [can't remember which player] sets the screen, then proceeded to move forward through our guy, impeding his ability to get around the screen. No call. But then they call that moving screen on us where there is barely any contact?

Pitt and others do that type of stuff all game long--drives me nuts. And it is a clear infraction--not sure why the refs let that stuff go, but then call offensive fouls on screens 45 feet from the basket, off the ball on a reed-thin player like Baye Moussa Keita.

Is it my imagination or did one ref seem to lobby on the side of Tech when ever the they discussed a call. The out of bounds of the Tech center was obvious but it looked like one ref wasn't convinced even after one of the other refs kept pointing at how the ball it the Tech leg.

$$$ has an interesting way of convincing people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom