These St. Bonaventure weirdos made a mini movie about the game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

These St. Bonaventure weirdos made a mini movie about the game

They never, ever mention the subject of UMASS on the Boneryard. They already know UMASS has more value to a P5 than UCONN. Too bad for them. This game with the Bonnies should be interesting as Matt McCall, 35 years old, is a Billy Donovan assistant coach and he seems to be doing something at UMASS.
And he’ll be gone within a couple of years if he has anay success.

The fact that Bonnie's fans made a video of their overtime upset victory over a non top 25 SU team is a COMPLIMENT to the status of the program. It's not an insult. It's not "weird." It is what happens when the have nots beat the haves. Whose House?

They have made the NCAA’s twice in my sports fan lifetime. Twice. They can be Canisius’ and Buffalo’s rival. Scrubby little program with weird fans.

I hate talking in absolutes. My uncle was a huge Bonnies fan and supporter from the southern tier for many years. Good man. I've posted this before on the board but I'll share it again - Coach Schmidt and a couple of other representatives of the program attended my uncle's memorial when he passed a couple of years ago. Coach Schmidt was extremely kind. If the Cuse is going to lose to anyone, I am ok with it being the Bonnies under Coach Schmidt's watch and I'm ok that the Bonnies are celebrating. Somewhere, I know my Uncle is smiling and just waiting for the next opportunity to let my dad and I know his thoughts on how his Bonnies beat our Cuse.

Being from the So Tier, having friends that attended college there, partying like a rock star w said friends there, knowing the alumni and student support that the men’s b-ball team receives there, and knowing that it’s a campus of 95% Bills fans... Bonnies has always been my #2 team.

With that said, after the game I was shouting “St. Bonaventure just won the Super Bowl!!!” as I walked through the concourse last Friday and set many of them up for the fake high five after the game, where you get em all pumped up with the “hey man, go bonnies!” - then present the high five hand, and as they go for it - pull it away.

Yeah I’m pretty cool.

Last edited:
Doesn’t bother me at all. We make videos after meaningful football and basketball victories. It was the perfect storm for them to beat us this year.
  • Game during Christmas break, no SU student section
  • Thompson left the program
  • Thorpe left the program
  • Sidibe injured
  • 46 hours after a physical game
  • SU shoots 3-19 (15.8%) from 3
  • SU misses 10 FTs
  • St. Bona’s best team in several years
  • SU’s worst team in several year
  • After all of this, we lost in OT on a flop charge call
Even though their fans acted like they won the college football playoff, let them enjoy the week. I saw Bona fans throwing chairs. They were throwing beers down from the upper deck. Unacceptable behavior for sure, but let’s just beat them by 20 and discourage all 5,000 of their fans from making the trip in the future.
Got no problem with it either, though it was quite bush league compared to Extended Cut. But it was a big win for them, and, as 007 mentioned, more of a compliment. Just one minor gripe with your points: "SU's worst team in several year"s? This team is young, inexperienced, raw, and now - shorthanded. But I believe they're better than last year - maybe even much better (time will tell) - and will make the tourney barring more injuries.
P.S. Geno, you hot head, having second thoughts yet?

Last edited:
What a bunch of smug, entitled fans most of you are. SU brings in smaller local (NYS) schools and then fans cry when 1 of them has the gaul to acctually beat SU. They cry just like the schools they put down saying they were homed and jobbed. These small schools are suppose to come in and take their beating and just leave with the cash. How dare they celebrate beating a team they haven't won against in 30 years in a place they never won in. And by the way, NBC sportsnetwork and the A10 made a huge deal about that win on the Bonnies game yesterday and it was not sourced by Bona, so it was not jut Bona who thought is was a huge deal. You guys aren't any better than the Rutgers or Maryland or UConn fans you laugh at.

Not to be a contrarian, but it’s not a whole lot different than our football Extended Cut. I know Clemson was the reigning national champion, but in St Bonnie’s world, we might as well have been.

Could never figure you as a contrarian!

What a bunch of smug, entitled fans most of you are. SU brings in smaller local (NYS) schools and then fans cry when 1 of them has the gaul to acctually beat SU. They cry just like the schools they put down saying they were homed and jobbed. These small schools are suppose to come in and take their beating and just leave with the cash. How dare they celebrate beating a team they haven't won against in 30 years in a place they never won in. And by the way, NBC sportsnetwork and the A10 made a huge deal about that win on the Bonnies game yesterday and it was not sourced by Bona, so it was not jut Bona who thought is was a huge deal. You guys aren't any better than the Rutgers or Maryland or UConn fans you laugh at.

I think I know what "SBU" stands for in "SBU72"

I agree BTW...

Not to be a contrarian, but it’s not a whole lot different than our football Extended Cut. I know Clemson was the reigning national champion, but in St Bonnie’s world, we might as well have been.

I was just about to say the same. This was their SuperBowl.

I have met a number of St. Bonaventure fans in my day.

Let's just say "smug" is a nice way to put them, too.

A-10 made a huge deal out of it because their league stinks this year, and it might be their best non-league win overall as a league. (I lied, URI beat Seton Hall who is better than us this year).

I understand your premise and agree overall -- I could care less what they do, honestly. But their fan base is as obnoxious as any.

I became an SU fan when St. Bonaventure was one of our competitors, before Jim Boeheim and the incredible athletes he recruited took SU to another level. I still follow St. Bonaventure and cheer for them when they don't play SU. We have history with them and am ok with saying touche' to the Bonnies this time. We knew at the beginning of the season that they were going to be one of the harder games we'd have before the ACC games started. It was and they won. I still celebrate SU's win over North Carolina in 1975, before JB became coach and I think it's more of a compliment than any kind of slam when a team & its fans celebrate a generational win. Kudos to the Bonnies!! (But don't get too used to it...)

I have met a number of St. Bonaventure fans in my day.

Let's just say "smug" is a nice way to put them, too.

A-10 made a huge deal out of it because their league stinks this year, and it might be their best non-league win overall as a league. (I lied, URI beat Seton Hall who is better than us this year).

I understand your premise and agree overall -- I could care less what they do, honestly. But their fan base is as obnoxious as any.
Including SU fans.

Could what it means to be a fan though.

I was at Niagara when we beat top ten St Johns at Niagara in 1985. It was a once in a lifetime win and we were a bunch of afterwords. Good thing we didnt have to play them every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Niagara when we beat top ten St Johns at Niagara in 1985. It was a once in a lifetime win and we were a bunch of afterwords. Good thing we didnt have to play them every year.
Actually way back when, before your time, I think Niagara use to play St Johns everyyear. My brother graduated in 64 from Niagara and they use to call going to NYC the Knick trip and I'm pretty sure it was to play St. Johns.

Smug would be all of the Bonnies fans claiming “best program in NYS!”, which if that’s the case they wouldn’t be making movies about beating us.

Poorly played ugly win in December. Easy. Really not that big of a deal.

Where do they go from here? Might as well just shut down the program. This is apparently the biggest thing in the history of western civilization to them.

Didn’t someone from the board make a video montage of the Clemson game?

Huge win for them on road after 36 year drought. I’m okay with it.

Didn’t someone from the board make a video montage of the Clemson game?

Huge win for them on road after 36 year drought. I’m okay with it.

Clemson won the NC last year, might win it again this year and was #2 when we beat them.

We went to the NIT last year and according to a number of Bonnies fans are “the second best team in NYS” and are “going to go 7-11 in the ACC”, and other “we’ll be in the tourney, you won’t!” BS.

They’ve known for awhile that they would have a legit shot to beat us and possibly even be better than us this season. Everyone knows SU is a much higher level program. Still think they’re going way too nuts.

We made an "extended cut" video about Pittsburgh too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom