These two things aren't mutually exclusive | Syracusefan.com

These two things aren't mutually exclusive

Eric15

Living Legend
1. JB is one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history and one of the most important citizens in the history of the city of Syracuse, and they should build a statue of him outside the Dome in the very near future and invite the entire city to the ceremony.

2. JB isn't the best person to lead SU basketball in the year 2019.

You don't have to choose between the two. They're both reasonable thoughts.

you can argue JB is totally objective about playing buddy. (who he said he would stay to see graduate)
or you can say JB hasn't recruited a quality D1 2 guard to push his kid for minutes. i don't know.

First time seeing them live.

Wow, they just aren’t very good. Reminds me of seeing Fairfield U or Fordham just for kicks.

They will occasionally steal a game with 3-point shooting.

But could this team lose more games than it wins.

Yes. Yes, it could.

you can argue JB is totally objective about playing buddy. (who he said he would stay to see graduate)
or you can say JB hasn't recruited a quality D1 2 guard to push his kid for minutes. i don't know.

can jb take a jackhammer to the two cinderblocks strapped to buddys feet.

I’ve thought this same thing.

Ajok is so bad that he can’t see the court with Edwards and Sidibe as his competition? I could be mistaken but I don’t think it’s medical. Assuming it isn’t medical, he should probably go ahead and transfer if he’s that bad.

I think the biggest issue is Center, more so than PG. Might as well clear space and see if we can finally land a capable recruit there or a grad transfer.

Ajok is so bad that he can’t see the court with Edwards and Sidibe as his competition? I could be mistaken but I don’t think it’s medical. Assuming it isn’t medical, he should probably go ahead and transfer if he’s that bad.

I think the biggest issue is Center, more so than PG. Might as well clear space and see if we can finally land a capable recruit there or a grad transfer.
Multiple posters on here have started that JB would never again take a grad transfer after the Andrew White John Gillon year. Which was incredibly frustrating to hear. Yeah, because we couldn’t have used a Kerry Blackshear type this season.

But could this team lose more games than it wins.

Yes. Yes, it could.

People have said this for about three years now and they've been ridiculous to do so.

Tonight's the first time I find myself agreeing.

Now I wouldn't bet on it. But it's a possibility for the first time in decades. They are limited and their body language stunk after Penn State pushed the lead back to six or eight.

If JB had the best interest of the program in mind he would announce just before conference play is about to start that this will be his last season. Unfortunately, I think he’s going to have to be ripped from the sidelines. Things are going to get really ugly.

Multiple posters on here have started that JB would never again take a grad transfer after the Andrew White John Gillon year. Which was incredibly frustrating to hear. Yeah, because we couldn’t have used a Kerry Blackshear type this season.
He brought in Geno Thorpe as a grad transfer the following year, which would probably better explain that line of thinking assuming it’s indeed the case.

Personally, I look at this team & how they project next year, assuming Eli leaves, & think we could be a decent 12&8 grad transfer C away from being a tourney team. I don’t even think it’d upset team chemistry, as Sidibe is just not a legit ACC starter.

Last edited:
People have said this for about three years now and they've been ridiculous to do so.

Tonight's the first time I find myself agreeing.

Now I wouldn't bet on it. But it's a possibility for the first time in decades. They are limited and their body language stunk after Penn State pushed the lead back to six or eight.

Yep, aware of that.

I waffled in preseason prediction. Brain said this is our worst team in memory based on talent/experience matrix.

Heart said it’s JB and he does more with less, if sometimes also less with more.

Upsides for this team: Guerrier becoming MUCH better over course of season. JG becoming much better (and he’s already better than I expected).

And any time we shoot well.

Just not sure that’ll be enough.

Yep, aware of that.

I waffled in preseason prediction. Brain said this is our worst team in memory based on talent/experience matrix.

Heart said it’s JB and he does more with less, if sometimes also less with more.

Upsides for this team: Guerrier becoming MUCH better over course of season. JG becoming much better (and he’s already better than I expected).

Exactly. Because one constant in the last decade (well, expect for the White/Gillon blip) was that Boeheim's team would defend.

This year they're going to be on the wrong end of 85-___ a lot. So Guerrier and Girard's improvement will need to be significant to make up for that weakness.

Yep, aware of that.

Couldn’t agree more.

No, but it does lower the pain level - back to the early 80s for me in CA.

Anyone else mildly happy that they don’t get the ACC Network and will miss have the games anyway???

1. JB is one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history and one of the most important citizens in the history of the city of Syracuse, and they should build a statue of him outside the Dome in the very near future and invite the entire city to the ceremony.

2. JB isn't the best person to lead SU basketball in the year 2019.

You don't have to choose between the two. They're both reasonable thoughts.
Reasonable thoughts but I can't think of anyone that's likely to get much more out of this team than JB. How about:
3. JB isn't the best person to rebuild this program.

IMO, that's more accurate and important.

Which is strange considering those two guys were like 1/3rd of our offense that year if not more.
Exactly. I think JB is hamstringing himself by his refusal to look at grad transfers the past two years, because things went south with Geno Thorpe. Which shows JB’s lack of patience and ability to be practical. Sometimes grad transfers can help you and you shouldn’t just have a blanket, we’ll never take a grad transfer again policy.

Exactly. I think JB is hamstringing himself by his refusal to look at grad transfers the past two years, because things went south with Geno Thorpe. Which shows JB’s lack of patience and ability to be practical. Sometimes grad transfers can help you and you shouldn’t just have a blanket, we’ll never take a grad transfer again policy.
White could score, but he couldn’t cover a potted plant, and showed little interest in trying. Gillon was hot and cold, and an average D1 player overall. Still better than Girard though, since he could actually beat someone off the dribble.

But he has installed many such policies after singular negative experiences, such as abandoning M2M after the loss to LeMonye, or stop holding morning shootarounds after a player injured during one. I think as people get older some let past experiences help them adapt but some let past experiences strangle themselves.