They also serve who only stand and wait: John Milton and ACC | Syracusefan.com

They also serve who only stand and wait: John Milton and ACC

arbitragegls

All Conference
This has been an interesting month so far as numerous reports are made of B1G expanding further, Big 12 looking at alliances with ACC and Notre Dame Swarbrick indicating to Dodds at CBSSports.com(previous thread) that ACC is well within striking distance of $$$ to Big 12.
Aside from WVU board over on S----.com; most boards are very quiet...seems strange. But what is really STRANGE is that ACC Commissioner Swofford hasnt said anything in nearly a month. In fact my source told me to read the most recent Frank the Tank Blog...and I got to tell you it was interesting (I guess if MCW was playing up to his own thought ability, I wouldnt bother with this) but hey, take a read and enjoy. And if any of you find Swofford let me know.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/big-12-and-acc-relations-alliance-or-raid/

Damn no takers...well stand-by...there has been a Swofford sighting at the ACC winter meetings that started today in south florida...right where I am. Going to have dinner with cousin tomorrow evening so something should break soon!

Damn no takers...well stand-by...there has been a Swofford sighting at the ACC winter meetings that started today in south florida...right where I am. Going to have dinner with cousin tomorrow evening so something should break soon!

Do you know if all the new ACC members like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville are at this meeting? I would assume so, but don't know for sure.

Arb, I have always thought the Big 12 has twisted themselves into a pretzel and has nowhere to go and nothing to offer. After all, it is about eyeballs and not football prowess. The appeal of the B1G is only short term dollars for which far too much has to be sacrificed by the key ACC schools. IMO, UNC will be long term greedy and will not do anything stupid in the short run.

All that you have been reporting says to me UNC is working for the long term and they could care less about Delaney and the B1G.

Tank is correct about one thing and that is that NC (more so that even UVA) can keep the ACC alive and they do know it. They enjoy being the big fish.

I still feel that the final end game will be a conference of leftovers from the ACC and BIG12. Once the Pac12, BIG10 and SEC are done taking who they want. The left over teams along with ND will make up the 4th power conference.

I still feel that the final end game will be a conference of leftovers from the ACC and BIG12. Once the Pac12, BIG10 and SEC are done taking who they want. The left over teams along with ND will make up the 4th power conference.

I agree that is the most likely scenario.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Do you know if all the new ACC members like Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville are at this meeting? I would assume so, but don't know for sure.
All there...athletic directors and above...there are a few presidents as well...that is not for board consumption...haha

I think everyone subscribes too much power to the B1G and the PAC 12. The PAC 12 has no logical additions. If you believe as I do that Texas and Oklahoma are just not going to the PAC12 that doesn't leave that many options.

If the B1G could take anyone they wanted why the hell take RU and MD right out of the box? They took the schools that they could get - not the schools they wanted. ND has always nixed the notion of joining a regional conference especially the B1G and they just proved that theory.

The SEC is the wild card in this deal and it is quite possible that they think there is no reason to split the pie more ways than they have to - if it ain't broke...

Seems to me for the ACC the end game is longer term. Nobody is starving (now that MD is gone) and they can afford to plan for the long term. The ACC has the population and the demographics and if they play their cards right they will have a hugely successful conference in the future. These folks are not stupid and the only way they break up is if they can't see their way clear to a huge long term.

Guess you all have figured out that the Heading for the Thread had something to do with PATIENCE...so here is your first bite of what looks to be transpiring:

Based on what is being discussed, the new ACC TV $$$ with Notre Dame beginning 2014 will be just $1.9 million below the new SEC TV contract and $300k below the Big 12 (this is for Tier 1--Tier 2 and Tier 3 are whatever each university can generate). These numbers make the $$ differences among conferences..these three at least--not so much. Sorry Big 12.
A C C $19.5 million/year per team
Big XII $19.8 million/year per team
S E C $21.4 million/year per team

The board is reporting that the Ohio State board is saying that Virginia to the B1G is a "done deal." They also linked a tweet from an ESPN guy joking that PSU/UVA will be a conference game soon enough.

And also, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

I'm generally in the camp of "this is all BS," but the non WVU smoke has piqued my interest. Also, it appears that there is a bit of sanity from WVU, or at least something that doesn't toe the line of the ACC snuff fantasy most of their fans adhere to:
  • lowerEer
  • Coonskin Cap
  • 359 posts this site
Posted: Today 5:23 PM
Very Fluid but handwriting is in front of us if...

We just think it out.

Bottom line in this ever changing landscape is this alliance thing has legs. It also has a Irishmen and a Texan wanting it. Texas people wants to be somewhere wherever they can have closeness to ND. The BIG 12 peeps have basically seen that in ACC only FSU would make it for real. Deep down peeps the NOLES don't want to leave. THE U has been offered to appease the NOLES. While some and including myself did not know it the offer was last summer. THUS two things. First real reason the VILLE and BYU did not get their offer. THe other was ND partially into ACC. Peeps didnt know that until today how big that was. It was so big it shook Delaney and his BIG 10 cohorts. Maryland who was talking two ways and I mean that literally. LOL The TERPS whose pres is from BIG 10 told of Swofford talks with PSU. Soon the Terps and RUTGERS were hooked with Delaney. PSU after turmoil of the Pedo incident was planning for future. Thinking they may be run out of BIG. Big 10 played their cards and took MD and RU. They also never knew ACC would get the VILLE. Basically thinking BIG 12 would move. Louisville to ACC and quick was manuevered by Notre Dame and FSU. So peeps FSU is not planning on moving. They were until ND came along. ACC and BIG 12 potentially has chance of an alliance. By early summer expect more news about the ACC network. Texas and ND wants the ACC/Big 12 deal. Texas for their LHN network and potential of it growing on the east coast. ND for the fact of staying INDY(maybe) and potentially pushing for playoffs to 8 teams in future. Now that would make it easier for a INDY ND to get in playoffs. Kicker? Yep If this happens look for BIG 12 to expand. Also look for the league to go back to 8 conference games. This would allow conference scheduling with ACC and maybe even the other conferences. TEXAS and ND very well could start playing every year. BIG MONEY peeps. From what I gather this alliance has definite possibilities. The main thing is It could help WVU get back into EAST coast for recruiting by playing PITT. Maybe VT . Plus playing some of those southern schools. The bad thing about it is TEXAS called the shot.

.BiG 12 Expansion? One definetly will be BYU. Why? Cause of ties with TEXAS and ND. The other could be one of many. But ESPN might want UCONN. I am hearing FOX wants either BOISE or USF.

Thanks, Arb. Fran the Tank is alway an interesting read, though he is B1G-centric. He has it down that UVA and UNC have no need of moving. Regardless, Big 12 is not in the driver seat.

Also, MHVer posted that FSU and Miami have offers in hand but must join in tandem, posted in the comments. This ignores all reason that Miami has no interest in the Big 12 or that FSU would need a massive increase to cover additional costs and it glaringly leaves off any analysis of how divisions woould be split. I cannot see UT, OU, FSU and Miami in one division, someone has to play ISU and TTech.

I cannot see FSU going to the Big 12 unless there is a block of ACC schools going. Same with Clemson and GATech.

I agree wih Frank that FSU would close the door on the SEC and B1G before looking to the Big 12.

The WVU info posted above seems to indicate that Delany's move on UMD was in fact a reactionary move, made out of fear and surprise. He watched as Swofford out flanked him for ND and knew that PSU could very well have been the next to fall, thus punching a big hole in their eastern front. So what did he do? He bought conscripts in the likes of MD and RU, two schools desperate for $$$. The move may have bought him some time and protected him from the loss of PSU (which would have been devastating). However, I don't think that will matter. I think his dream of crippling the ACC was dashed and now he's trying desperately to circle his wagons. The ACC could still lure PSU away at some point if PSU is unhappy. The mere fact that they were listening to Swofford has to keep Delany up at night.

Hearing that president Loh was giving Delany inside info makes me hope even more that MD has to pay the full exit fee. Fork him!

If the B1G move on Maryland and Rutgers really was about eyeballs, then you have to assume that Syracuse and Pitt were not answering the phone as either of them matches the total that these two allegedly add to the BTN. Plus, each of Syracuse and Pitt has a larger following than both BTN newbies combined, with more storied histories and more wins than either UM or RU to boot.

I do believe (translation, I have no doumented support and no inside contacts) that Delaney put out feelers to several ACC teams but could not get any nibbles except for cash poor Maryland.

That said, it does lend itself to the apperance that Delaney was being defensive in protecting PSU and could not score UNC/UVA/SU/Pitt.

SU and Pitt would have been perfect for Delaney but he was late to the party. If you think about it Swofford has bested him there and with ND and everyone is acting as if he was a genius. Who would you rather have?

SU and Pitt would have been perfect for Delaney but he was late to the party. If you think about it Swofford has bested him there and with ND and everyone is acting as if he was a genius. Who would you rather have?

I've just never seen Pitt to the B1G. With PSU owning Pennsylvania, why double up on that state?

If the B1G move on Maryland and Rutgers really was about eyeballs, then you have to assume that Syracuse and Pitt were not answering the phone as either of them matches the total that these two allegedly add to the BTN. Plus, each of Syracuse and Pitt has a larger following than both BTN newbies combined, with more storied histories and more wins than either UM or RU to boot.

I do believe (translation, I have no doumented support and no inside contacts) that Delaney put out feelers to several ACC teams but could not get any nibbles except for cash poor Maryland.

That said, it does lend itself to the apperance that Delaney was being defensive in protecting PSU and could not score UNC/UVA/SU/Pitt.
'If the B1G move on Maryland and Rutgers really was about eyeballs', NNJ has it all over CNY in terms of potential households that the BTN is trying to get in to. It's about getting onto a cable tier where they can charge $0.xx per household. Had nothing to do with history/strength of team/brand/etc. But this has been discussed ad infinitum. 'If the B1G move on Maryland and Rutgers really was about eyeballs', there were no calls to Syracuse.

Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and ND for Maryland: Swofford 4 Delaney 1

I've just never seen Pitt to the B1G. With PSU owning Pennsylvania, why double up on that state?
Still brings more fans than Rutgers and Maryland.

'If the B1G move on Maryland and Rutgers really was about eyeballs', NNJ has it all over CNY in terms of potential households that the BTN is trying to get in to. It's about getting onto a cable tier where they can charge $0.xx per household. Had nothing to do with history/strength of team/brand/etc. But this has been discussed ad infinitum. 'If the B1G move on Maryland and Rutgers really was about eyeballs', there were no calls to Syracuse.

Syracuse gets credit for the whole state just as Rutgers gets credit for NJ. I'm not arguing that the B1G actually went after Syracuse because I believe that TGD had already had his feelers out before joining the ACC and knew what he would do, but the logic that Rutgers and Maryland bring more viewers (households) is weak in light of what was NOT secured: UNC, UVA, Syracuse, GATech, etc. All of which are roughly equal to or larer than Rutgers and Maryland. This implies that Delaney was defensive/reactionary in these picks and took what he could.

The b10 additions of rutgirls and Maryland were for dmv's. Nothing more, nothing less. These other theories being tossed about are bunk.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3