they should bring back last 10 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

they should bring back last 10 games

The regular season is about winning your conference as a goal in itself, beating you biggest rivals, having a better record than last year. And it would be the basis for the seedings.

Yawn.

There would be no value to magical post-season Conference tourney runs like we had w GMac in '06, if every damn team gets into the Dance anyway.
Hey, congrats! You won the auto-bid! Oh yeah - so did every other team, simply by existing. :rolleyes:

What would be the point? Seeding? Sorry - HARD PASS.

Every game needs to mean something, or else they all mean nothing.

yea it doesnt have to be last 10 games, just kind of a general trending up or trending down. if im comparing 2 teams with similar resumes, and team A has played well down the stretch, and team B has lost 11 of their last 15 games like oklahoma, im taking team A.

I feel like over the past couple decades, this would hurt us more than it helps us. I just think of all the seasons where we were lights out in November/December and went .500 in February.

Yawn.

There would be no value to magical post-season Conference tourney runs like we had w GMac in '06, if every damn team gets into the Dance anyway.
Hey, congrats! You won the auto-bid! Oh yeah - so did every other team, simply by existing. :rolleyes:

What would be the point? Seeding? Sorry - HARD PASS.

Every game needs to mean something, or else they all mean nothing.

The value would be that you won the conference tournament, an event unto itself. We won the Big east tournament in 1981, 1988, 1992, 2005 and 2006. Those teams won a grand total of 2 NCAA tournament games. But I remember those as exciting tournaments where we came out on top. the fact that it didn't lead to anything didn't change that.

We also won or shared the Big East regular title in 1980, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2010, 2012. The 1987 team played for the national title and the 2003 team won it. None of the others made the Final Four but I remember those seasons fondly because of what those teams did accomplish.

This team has never in any sense been a national championship contender. If we get left out, I don't think anybody here will claim we got snubbed. But this season hasn't been dull or meaningless. You could eliminate the NCAA tournament altogether and we would still be rooting for SU because there are other worthwhile things to accomplish.

I'm just tired of the endless closed-door parsing of the records of teams that obviously aren't elite teams. One team is 20-13 with 3 quadrant one wins and 4 quadrant two wins with 4 road wins and 8-10 in their conference. the other team is 19-14 but they have 4 quadrant one wins, 3 quadrant two wins to go with 3 road wins and a 9-9 conference record. One gets in and the other does. ugh and double ugh. Either pare it down to the elite teams or included everybody, seed them with math and let them decide it on the court.

Last edited:
I feel like over the past couple decades, this would hurt us more than it helps us. I just think of all the seasons where we were lights out in November/December and went .500 in February.

Right and then you have the SOS/unbalanced schedules to consider.

We won the BET in 2005 and 2006. Lost in the first round both years. I bet if you did an analysis there’s no correlation to end of the season record vs tourney success.
SU got screwed by the committee both years. Criminally underseeded in '05 and overseeded in '06

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom