Things I expected but didn't see | Syracusefan.com

Things I expected but didn't see

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Level setting expectations from Thursday afternoon to reality 36 hours post game:

1. Heard a lot of talk about the use of the shotgun again with Mackey at C. Certainly had the opportunities but I don't believe we ran a single play from the gun.

2. Expected to see the emergence of depth at WR. Graham and West in particular were lauded at times during preseason but Lemon and Chew were the only productive wideouts.

Any others?

Level setting expectations from Thursday afternoon to reality 36 hours post game:

1. Heard a lot of talk about the use of the shotgun again with Mackey at C. Certainly had the opportunities but I don't believe we ran a single play from the gun.

I can think of at least five shotguns snaps, including the five wide during the first 4Q touchdown drive and the two point conversions.

2. Expected to see the emergence of depth at WR. Graham and West in particular were lauded at times during preseason but Lemon and Chew were the only productive wideouts.

Any others?

they ran a bunch of shotgun in the first half and macky ended up in nassib's lap. cut down on it in the 2nd half 3rd quarter from what i saw

I was disappointed to not see more Graham, if for nothing else but to spread the field. Alot of 2 TE sets instead.

I think one problem with not seeing some things on offense is that there weren't a lot of offensive play, especially in the first half. I really wanted to see AAM and see if he could wear their D-Line down a little bit but with limited amount of plays run and so many 3 and outs it's hard to show or do a lot.

It took 3 quarters for our base offense to get its footing. And by the time they started rolling in the 4th, I wouldn't expect them to tinker with it. In other words, I wouldn't read much into it.

I was disappointed to not see more Graham, if for nothing else but to spread the field. Alot of 2 TE sets instead.
One reason might be because the Wake D didn't give Nassib enough time to throw many deep routes in the 1st half.

they ran a bunch of shotgun in the first half and macky ended up in nassib's lap. cut down on it in the 2nd half 3rd quarter from what i saw

Oops. Must have been while I had my eyes closed. :)

With their backs against the wall the whole game I think Nassib had to go with the guys he completely trusts. Even if they've already dropped one on him. Probably a pretty good idea. I'm surpried there were no reverses or end arounds. Especially early on when they were stuffing everything between the ends.

The offense also went to alot of 2 te sets to give Nassib more time to throw, cutting down on the chances for guys like west and Graham

I think one problem with not seeing some things on offense is that there weren't a lot of offensive play, especially in the first half. I really wanted to see AAM and see if he could wear their D-Line down a little bit but with limited amount of plays run and so many 3 and outs it's hard to show or do a lot.

I think as HCDM said in an article this AM, WF didn't run the defense they expected to see. That probably changed a lot of the game planning, and certainly affected the protection.

Any others?
What we didn't see ,I hope is reserved for USC We shouldn't see anything revealing against RI either. Keep the big guns hidden and the same with plays.Don't show off Dorian until the 17th.btw Anyone coming west in a couple?curious to see if anyone is going to be here from Syracuse? I'd lover to say hello Come on over to Section 15 if you are there. If you see the fat guy wearing orange in a wheelchair it would most likely be me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom