Things I hope to see on Saturday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things I hope to see on Saturday

I just want less mistakes. You're going to have some, every team does. But good God, we were on a 1 per every 2 plays ratio. (that might be kind).

I don't want to watch Strickland burrow his way into a pile anymore. It makes me sad.

More throws to Erv deep. Someone has to stretch the D, and I just don't think it's Ish, unless he's winning jump balls. He doesn't outrun anyone.

Team needs to relax and put last week behind them. That's why Dino is paid the big bucks.

Save DeVito's red shirt.
I'd like to see him used next year like Nassib was originally... one or two series per half. If he's more effective, increase that number accordingly. If he's that much better then he'll be starting in no time, otherwise he starts as a rSo with plenty of experience.

Most important thing this coming game: win

Now that the initial frustrating and disgust has worn off from that very disappointing but unsurprising (to me at least) loss last Saturday. I am hopeful the staff's eyes are just as open as the players ears and we can see the following changes/developments.

1. This team has a crap load of WR's on the roster, half of which were recruited by Babers and are Freshmen - play them. I dont' care if its Sharrod Johnson, Nykeim Johnson, Jordan Cameron, RTB or that walk on who blew up in the spring game. Enough with Custis, enough with Sean Avant and his 3 career receptions enough with people pinning for Adly Enoicy who hasn't been healthy in 3 years. Play these young guys and see who wants to catch the freeking ball.

2. Neal getting some work in the slot and Pierre/Elmore in the backfield. Biggest issue I have with Babers is that he continues to trot out Strickland and Neal at RB when its clear to just about everyone who knows football that these guys are playing out of place and aren't Div 1 rb's. Let Dungey or someone else call out the line calls get some actual RB's back there and get some semblance of a running game going before we have Andrew Robinson Part 2 on our hands. Neal can be electric with the ball get this guy the ball in his hands. A true rb screen or wheel route or something like that would be a nice change if your not going to actually move him.

3. Ward Blitzing. Again clear to everyone that his DL can't generate QB pressure on its own less later in the second half when its gassed. We have 40 lb's and Db's on the roster, lets run some disguised blitzes and generate some pressure for a change. Rushing 4 let MTSU march down the field for TD's nearly the entire second half.

4. Enough with Murphy, nice kid but the experiment should be over. Let him handle XP's but left Hoff take over the fg duties. He's regressed so badly since his frosh year its hard to watch him kick at this point.

5. If DeVito is ready and Dungey struggles play him. If the staff thinks he can play now and Dungey struggles again don't be afraid to make the move. I know the redshirt etc etc, look Dungey's only a JR I don't get the feeling this kid is going sit the bench for two years waiting for his turn so if and again if hes the true #2 now and Dungey gets hurt or struggles let's see what he has.

6. Devin Butler starting at CB. I don't care which starter he replaces but get him in the starting line up.

7. Make smart decisions - 3rd and 1 inside the MTSU 35, run the ball with Elmore. We don't need a go pattern and then Murphy trotted out there to shank one. RUN ELMORE and get the 1st down. Also Go outside of the same 10 plays and try some innovation on offense. It's OK to run a trick play, play action, a double pass out of the bubble screen, shovel pass, Dungey going under center etc. Inside the 5 we can call something besides Strickland up the gut or a slant to Custis whose hands are less then great. Look at Buffalos play yesterday that had Andre Holmes come across the formation at the 1 for a wide open touchdown. For such an innovative offense we sure do a ton of crap by the book when were in important situations.

8. Win - I don't give a sh$t about train whistles, bells, WIFI, t-shirt tosses, or who faked an obvious injury win the dame game.

Alot of good takes. We dont win this one and its a lock that we aren't going bowling. This CMU team Is different from the one we saw a few years back. They spread it out on O but still try and punch ya in the mouth on D.

Contrary to what some think on this board, ED IS a pocket passer and not a run first qb. He has shown he can hang in there and deliver the ball. He cant continue to be featured as a primary runner as he was in the second half.

Yes, not sure how Strickland won the job in camp. Being familiar with the system and calls is the only answer.

Our receivers have talent. We dont need to have a shirt bon fire this week as a knee jerk reaction to last week. Ish, butler, and erv are a nice trio. Custis should be first guy out at this point and go to johnson squared. All of these guys will benefit from routes over the middle. We have ignored the middle the first few weeks. The middle is the best real estate in cfb and the hardest to defend.

Love our lb and db depth and yes, run em all out there and blitz. Sometimes D coordinators refuse to change or tweek their scheme even during an acclimating phase.

Gonna be a battle on sat. ED comes back and proves that the SS affect last week was real and that he is the qb of this team and can sling it.

DeVito is the future which is why I don't want him to get "Savage'd". I was going to say Dungey'd but I still think he'll be okay. I just don't want them to throw a super talented young kid behind a bad o-line and ruin his confidence for the rest of his career.
Exactly. I agree. I cannot remember the top-rated QB's name in the NFL, but he was thrown in as a rookie, got his life handed to him behind a shixxy line and was she'll-shocked the rest of his career. Never made first string. Protect rookies! They are your future.

On another note. I do have some misgivings on DB's RB evaluation. Last year he sits our best RB, who then xfers ( with him we might have won last Sat.) and this year he "loves" Strickland and Neal going up the gut with a shixxy O'line. Real puzzling to me. Lousy scheming?

Last edited:
1) a seem pass to the tight end or anybody else so the defense has to play more than half the field
2) a QB who is under pressure who gives the defense a different look, such as he throws the ball away , he slides , or God forbid he pump fakes to slow the on rushing defense who has never seen him do this. Doing just anyone of these things once in a while may keep the defense from teeing off on him when he starts to run because they know he is going head down to run.
3) an all out bring the house blitz at least once in each half to throw a different ot expected look.
4) way more of Elmore and way less of stricklanf.
5) any body different on punt returns we have taken a huge hit in this area without Brisly.

I'm not sure how this staff thought we'd succeed this year with a young line and our current running backs. Perhaps it explains why they were interested in Edwards. Strickland was meant to play SS and Neal is a slot receiver. It bothers me that the only answer is ruining Elmore inside. They need to get Philips and Neal in open space and throw to them. And where has Pierce been the first two games? We were led to believe he was a good pass receiving tight end. Just seems that we're not using our talent properly on offense. I'll be curious to see what unfolds this week.

I'm not sure how this staff thought we'd succeed this year with a young line and our current running backs. Perhaps it explains why they were interested in Edwards. Strickland was meant to play SS and Neal is a slot receiver. It bothers me that the only answer is ruining Elmore inside. They need to get Philips and Neal in open space and throw to them. And where has Pierce been the first two games? We were led to believe he was a good pass receiving tight end. Just seems that we're not using our talent properly on offense. I'll be curious to see what unfolds this week.

Feels like were still running last years offense despite having upgraded players ie the Pierces, Elmore, Nykiem etc

Alot of good takes. We dont win this one and its a lock that we aren't going bowling. This CMU team Is different from the one we saw a few years back. They spread it out on O but still try and punch ya in the mouth on D.

Contrary to what some think on this board, ED IS a pocket passer and not a run first qb. He has shown he can hang in there and deliver the ball. He cant continue to be featured as a primary runner as he was in the second half.

Yes, not sure how Strickland won the job in camp. Being familiar with the system and calls is the only answer.

Our receivers have talent. We dont need to have a shirt bon fire this week as a knee jerk reaction to last week. Ish, butler, and erv are a nice trio. Custis should be first guy out at this point and go to johnson squared. All of these guys will benefit from routes over the middle. We have ignored the middle the first few weeks. The middle is the best real estate in cfb and the hardest to defend.

Love our lb and db depth and yes, run em all out there and blitz. Sometimes D coordinators refuse to change or tweek their scheme even during an acclimating phase.

Gonna be a battle on sat. ED comes back and proves that the SS affect last week was real and that he is the qb of this team and can sling it.
Hope you are right but personally for me the jury is still out on ED's ability to stand in the pocket and pick people apart. I agree he's not a run first QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom