Things I'm looking for tonight | Syracusefan.com

Things I'm looking for tonight

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
Obviously, prefacing this with there is only so much you can take away from a game against D 2 opponent.

1. Thorpe to play. I'd really like to see him develop just a little chemistry with the guys and take some rust off before the start of real game action. I'll be interested to see how much he plays at 1 vs 2.
2. Howard to cut down on the turnovers. Can't put it any more plainly than that. We can't afford for him to have 6 TOs like the first game. The rest of the team needs to be much cleaner with the ball for that matter, also.
3. Chukwu to provide some confidence he can hold the fort down for a few minutes in place of Sidibe. But again, this particularly applies to big men that you can only find out so much against this kind of opponent, imho.
4. Brissett to come out of the box a little quicker.
5. Not having to rely on the press to swing momentum.
6. See a little more what Moyer might bring to the table this year offensively. Hope to see him take and make at least a couple jump shots.
7. Same with Dolezaj, Would like to see him provide a little more offense tonight.
8. Actually seeing the whole game.

Last edited:
All I want to see is shooting.

The defense will get there but we need more than Battle and Brissett be able to shoot.
We have no post offense with Chukwu so it has to be shooting to score.

The defense will get there but we need more than Battle and Brissett be able to shoot.

Exactly. That's why I'm hoping to get to see Thorpe tonight.

ms, liked your list, but a biggie for me that was not on your list is for Washington to prove he can contribute. If he can help, it would give us the flexibility to play battle at the three at times when we need more punch. Also Frank has not proven he can limit tos and that could also provide an opportunity for washington.

Obviously, prefacing this with there is only so much you can take away from a game against D 2 opponent.

1. Thorpe to play. I'd really like to see him develop just a little chemistry with the guys and take some rust off before the start of real game action. I'll be interested to see how much he plays at 1 vs 2.
2. Howard to cut down on the turnovers. Can't put it any more plainly than that. We can't afford for him to have 6 TOs like the first game. The rest of the team needs to be much cleaner with the ball for that matter, also.
3. Chukwu to provide some confidence he can hold the fort down for a few minutes in place of Sidibe. But again, this particularly applies to big men that you can only find out so much against this kind of opponent, imho.
6. See a little more what Moyer might bring to the table this year offensively. Hope to see him take and make at least a couple jump shots.
7. Same with Dolezaj, Would like to see him provide a little more offense tonight.

Good stuff. Let's say 1 and 8 are hopefully things we can start knocking out right away

As for the others, I presume they represent what we will be looking for throughout the non conference to develop. Hopefully we can put a checkbox next to most.

I agree regarding Thorpe. I would like to see Howard cut down on turnovers and recognize shooters and get out to them. I'm not terrible concerned with OB and Battle. I think they are solid. I thought Chukwu played OK last game and would like to see that again and have him gain confidence so he can play a handful of minutes a night without concern. I would like the same from Sidibe to build on the last game.

Good list. I can't imagine Mathew taking jumpers at any time this year though, honestly. Hakim Warrick, a pretty good player who made the NBA was red lighted until his Sr year. I imagine the coaches want Mathew to be that physical presence down low, focused on rebounding and put backs on the offensive end. I would like to see him be the good Tyler Roberson, and if he can pull that off with like 6 points and 6 rebounds per game, I think he will make a major contribution in that way without needing to operate away from the basket.

I like to see some offense from Dolezaj. I think he may be our best or 2nd best defensive player.
I wouldn't hold your breath on Dolezaj's offense, or MM's. I think Dolezaj is going to be a talented defender ... very quick, active and long. MM's also a favorite of mine -- who bleeds Orange. He's currently a starter, and is an inside workhorse who can add a little put-back/mid-range offense. But I don't see either him or MD having enough offense to be on the floor in crunch time (unless we're protecting a lead). If the tendencies at the first scrimmage continue, OB should be playing PF with MM backing up. I also think we'll see TB moving over to SF quite a bit (MD to back up), with FH sliding off-ball. I don't like a 3 guard lineup, but we that may be necessary to take advantage of the offense we saw from Frank at the 2 last week. HW looked like a natural up top. If he can shoot it and pass it that well against better teams, I like him backing up Thorpe. If Frank's outside jumper is legit', he may finally bloom at SG with less thinking and dribbling. We're in a desperate search for offense, and a lineup of Thorpe, FH, TB, OB and one of our centers gives us 4 guys who can score and a big to roll to the rim.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're talking about, but I LOVED missing about half the game because the broadcast feed wouldn't last more than 5 minutes at a time.

Any word on if Thorpe will play? I hope so. I'd like to see him at lead guard because we all know Frank likely can't do it for extended periods.

Moyer/Dolezaj...I really hope it's not a "we'll be happy with whatever offense we get out of them" type situation. SU forwards have to be able to score. We can't have 1 F spot and the C spot being so empty offensively.

I have a feeling we'll see Brissett play all the minutes he can handle this year.

FH is a natural shooting guard which is what he mostly was before Syracuse. Thorpe is a 2 that made the transition to 1 that FH has been unable to make.

As others have mentioned; FH and GT. I’m sticking to my guns with the feeling that lead guard play and enough guard speed/ballhandling/running the offense outside of Battle is the key to the season. Hope to see Geno. Want to see if FH is able to run the offense.

I like to see some offense from Dolezaj. I think he may be our best or 2nd best defensive player.
Who here saw Doli man the pivot late in our first exhibition? Hopefully it won't be often, but Marek might be our third center.
And who's got the popcorn?
:)

Who here saw Doli man the pivot late in our first exhibition? Hopefully it won't be often, but Marek might be our third center.
And who's got the popcorn?
:)
Yes, it's a stretch (;)) to see MD at the 5. But in a pinch, what other option do we have? He's a good defender and he's long, although he'll get pushed all over the floor against ACC teams. An even bigger problem is going to be points. We're nowhere near last year's team offensively, and THAT team's average PPG was a 50 year low. Grab the whiskey!

An even bigger problem is going to be points. We're nowhere near last year's team offensively, and THAT team's average PPG was a 50 year low. Grab the whiskey!
We will prevail! Always seem to get up when we think we are down.

Along those lines I'd like to see what kind of pace we play with. Gotta feel like with a bunch of bodies and not a whole lot of offensive skill that some opportunities in unsettled situations and on the break would be beneficial with this group. Ultimately we'll probably end up playing pretty deliberate and trying to rely on our defense, but at least against inferior opponents it would be great to get some easy buckets at times.

Doesn't get better than Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman. Remember "walk this way"?
How could I forget?
But for me personally, I would rather a roll in the hay any day. I wonder why that is?