Things that were not the refs fault last night | Syracusefan.com

Things that were not the refs fault last night

swish7

All Conference
  • Christmas reaching on that 1st foul.
  • Not being able to play aggressively on the interior because there are 12 minutes left, we are saddled with 3-4 fouls, and we absolutely will not bring that 4th forward type off the bench. Not developing Roberson for the purpose of being the guy to send someone whom has an easy interior play, to the line, is all on us.
  • Offensive slump in the 1st half
  • Numerous, I counted a minimum of 3, rebounds where the Duke guy got it among 4 Syracuse shirts. Our big's fundamentals are epically bad for such athletes.
  • Not attacking the rim consistently. Keita, Grant, Fair, even Christmas often take fadeaway jumpers from 3' out. Sometimes they make it. Most of the time they miss it, and don't draw contact, and are not in position for the rebound. Need to be physical and try to accumulate fouls on Duke.
  • We all cheer when Grant makes a fadeaway, spinny, one-handed layup from 3', but then half the board chirps about missed "bunnies" when they don't go in 60% of the time. Why does Grant shoot 3' jumpers, then attempt dunks from 5' that fall 1' short?
  • Fair's dribble off his foot
  • Ennis getting stripped from behind
What would you add to this list? What can we do to better control our destiny in these games? I realize now, except for our rebounding miscues, it's all coming down to our offensive play.

SmilinBob said:
SU got boned like a drunk girl at a frat party but that being said you still have to make plays. You can't have your guards shooting 2 for infinity and you have to go up strong to the basket. Win the next game.

You got his point...

• Christmas reaching on that 1st foul.
  • Not being able to play aggressively on the interior because there are 12 minutes left, we are saddled with 3-4 fouls, and we absolutely will not bring that 4th forward type off the bench. Not developing Roberson for the purpose of being the guy to send someone whom has an easy interior play, to the line, is all on us.
  • Offensive slump in the 1st half
  • Numerous, I counted a minimum of 3, rebounds where the Duke guy got it among 4 Syracuse shirts. Our big's fundamentals are epically bad for such athletes.
  • Not attacking the rim consistently. Keita, Grant, Fair, even Christmas often take fadeaway jumpers from 3' out. Sometimes they make it. Most of the time they miss it, and don't draw contact, and are not in position for the rebound. Need to be physical and try to accumulate fouls on Duke.
  • We all cheer when Grant makes a fadeaway, spinny, one-handed layup from 3', but then half the board chirps about missed "bunnies" when they don't go in 60% of the time. Why does Grant shoot 3' jumpers, then attempt dunks from 5' that fall 1' short?
  • Fair's dribble off his foot
  • Ennis getting stripped from behind
What would you add to this list? What can we do to better control our destiny in these games? I realize now, except for our rebounding miscues, it's all coming down to our offensive play.
Agreed to all points. In sum, had we played like we are capable of playing, and play with just a bit more intensity, focus, aggression, and confidence, we would never have been in a position to have the refs take the game away from us like they did. Add in some bad luck on some bounces that Duke had two of their three-pointers (Parker from the right corner in the first half, and I think it was Thornton from the left wing in the second half), and we should have won this game by multiple possessions.

I would also add to your list Keita's inability to stay on his feet on defense, particularly when Duke (Hood mostly) got the ball by the foul line and faced the basket. Keita must have the confidence to know that with his length, if he just stays on the ground and extends, that alone makes it difficult for Hood to make a play there. More often than most realize, the best play on D is to NOT to shut off ALL your opponent's options ("perfect" D, which is usually impossible), but simply give him a bad option ("very good" D, which is almost always possible). Go ahead and let your man take a shot which he will make 1/4 of the time (if it's a three), or even 1/3 of the time (if it's a two). Over the course of the game, you may lose some battles, but you will win the war.

More often than most realize, the best play on D is to NOT to shut off ALL your opponent's options ("perfect" D, which is usually impossible), but simply give him a bad option ("very good" D, which is almost always possible). .

Good post.

I thought we had intensity, but I agree, on O, that intensity is not channeled into fundamentally sound and focused play, at the point of attack. I do not mean to say we do not have a focused offense. As a whole, we do. However, when the bigs get it down low, anything can happen.

As to your point about D above. I specifically remember being taught that, either in HS or at a basketball camp. When you clamp down on your guy (if he is uncovered), you can actually make things more stressful for your teammate whom may be guarding the man with the ball, and even those who are not guarding the man with the ball. I am not sure if Keita actually did anything in regard, but I do remember being taught what you mention above.

Getting 16 offensive boards but only converting them into about 8 second chance points.

Grant going 1 for 4 from the free throw line.

I wonder how much of the Duke grabbing rebounds when we seemingly outnumbered their guy underneath is a result of our guys being tired? Another negative effect from not developing Roberson and being without DCII.

Getting 16 offensive boards but only converting them into about 8 second chance points.

I wonder how much of the Duke grabbing rebounds when we seemingly outnumbered their guy underneath is a result of our guys being tired? Another negative effect from not developing Roberson and being without DCII.

It's a small sample size but I was surprised about Grant's FT shooting.
He's usually pretty automatic.

All of your points are valid, but they are for the most part simply the ebb & flow of the game. I'm sure a Duke fan could come up with a similar list from their perspective.

A perfect basketball game cannot be played.

To me, it all came down to two things:

1. Our overall guard play was so bad that it cannot be summed up in one bullet point.

2. Notwithstanding anything else, the game came down to one call. Last night I thought it was borderline, today as I read more about the new rule and watch the re-plays carefully I am convinced that the refs blew it badly. It should have been a hoop and an and one, which would have left us one stop from victory. Bottom line - a call like that in a crucial end of game situation should be reviewable.

A perfect basketball game cannot be played.

Sure it can. Duke plays perfectly. That does not mean all their shots have to go in or that they will make every stop. They do the right thing in most every situation. Better teams and athletes still beat them, but Duke makes it really hard. Refs do to, but this post is specifically not about the refs.

Sure it can. Duke plays perfectly. That does not mean all their shots have to go in or that they will make every stop. They do the right thing in most every situation. Better teams and athletes still beat them, but Duke makes it really hard. Refs do to, but this post is specifically not about the refs.
So Duke plays a perfect game and it still takes a bad call for them to win ????? Are their athletes really that inferior ???

IMO another reason on top of that was it seemed like Christmas and Keita jumped out thinking they could block every shot within 20 feet of them. Most they had little chance of influencing or blocking, they head out there leaving smaller guys to fight off the offensive rebounds.

The play I remember was the late dunk-putback with about 3 minutes to go...Christmas was in the key while they guy in the corner was starting the shooting motion for the 3, and it was a fast break so he was the only one in the key. He ran out there, getting maybe half way there, leaving the wide open lane for the putback. Sometimes just realize you can't get there and get in rebounding position, especially when you're a big guy.

Fair is always good for 1 or 2 dribbles off his foot in almost every game....

This is just ridiculous and reading it makes me annoyed that I even bothered opening this thread.

First point right on. No doubt about it, SU left the game on the rim. Should'a won over both Duke and Tony Greene. Take it out on Md.-VBOF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom