Things you don't expect | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Things you don't expect

Buddy's shooting woes is an indication that Girard is quite likely to face the same shooting challenges his freshman year. Fan's expectations are typically unrealistic for our freshman receipts.
Eh. We've seen enough freshman have outstanding seasons at SU to realize the possibilities. Buddy's woes are irrelevant to anything that Girard will experience. Completely different players. Buddy is a jump shooter who needs his form to be almost perfect to be at his best. Buddy is also struggling a little bit with the pace of the game at this level but I have no doubt he will get there. JGIII is a shooter. Period. Off the screen 3, 25 ft 3, stop and pop, fade away and runners. Nothing at all like Buddy. There is no reason that JGIII can't be the next Gmac. He could even be better. As great as Gmac was he left plenty of room for someone to come along and shoot higher percentages than he did.

marek dolezaj shooting 50 % from 3. buddy b. shooting 21 %
People who think Buddy is an elite shooter from deep should watch him in warm ups. He is better with a pull up jumper and a decent athlete.

I predict that Joe's % will be much better than BB's, but I wonder how many minutes Joe is going to get.
Battle, Hughes, Carey, Goodine, Girard, Boeheim, Washington. It depends on which of these players are involved in the back court next year.

1) Mike Tyson's voice.
2) Pascal Chukwu's inability to finish at the rim.

PC is underappreciated for his contributions because of perception.
Our mind is boggled when we watch a player, who can reach the rim without jumping,
unable to drop the rock through the hole.

Certainly that is a problem that must be addressed. But in the grand scheme of things PC is not turning the ball over (empty possession) any more often than the rest of the team who can shoot abysmally at times.

Bottom line: PC needs to improve but he is not the only Achilles heel on the team.
He contributes as much as the rest of the players do.
And he plays with great effort and sportsmanship.

The man deserves our respect.
He is going to win some games for us.
We will praise him once his consistency improves.
I agree and he was key for us last year - FT shooting alone is missed. He will be back

Girard isn’t even our best guard recruit next year. No clue why nobody is talking about Goodine.
That's easy. Goodine is not next door to Syracuse and he's not averaging 50 points a game. Goodine in all likelyhood will be the better player at SU but he will never be as "ballyhooed" as JGIII. The stuff he is doing is legendary.

I guess because you got beat up on the PC vs Forth thread you feel the need to beat the drum for him here.

PC is what he is. A tall, not very athletic, center who is inconsistent in what he brings to the court. If and when he can show close to what he is capable when he is at his best, then perhaps we can better appreciate his game.

Until then, he will continue to make, at least me, shudder every time the ball goes into his hands.

If you really want to watch cringe-worthy Center play, see SU Hoops in the 1990s.

Otis Hill and Etan Thomas as upperclassmen were fantastic centers.

otismy_man_aluminum_license_plate.jpg

I agree. I loved Otis's game. But we had many offensively challenged Centers back then too. I recall the term "donut team" (no center) going around a bit from time to time. Maybe I shouldn't pick on just the Nineties, we had a few post Y2K misses too. Even our good Centers didn't contribute much offensively until their Sr year.

If you really want to watch cringe-worthy Center play, see SU Hoops in the 1990s.

So, just going by who we had...

--LeRon Ellis
--Dave Siock
--Conrad McRae
--Otis Hill
--JB Reafsnyder
--Etan Thomas

With all due respect to the big guy from Vestal, Siock wasn't a starting caliber player -- but I don't believe that he was brought in to be, he was a depth guy who ended up starting. Reafsnyder was no great shakes, either, but he was a good offensive player / intermittent starter who contributed to a team that made the championship game.

The rest were high quality -- three were NBA players, and Otis almost made the NBA. Not seeing your point.

I think he still struggles with his vision and coordination. I watched him miss 3 dunks in a row in warmups. Just a couple of years ago in layup lines I could dunk 10/10 times, and I'm not 7'2.

otis was great but felt equally confident when jb reafsnyder checked in. they complemented each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom