Think big boy football-The politics | Syracusefan.com

Think big boy football-The politics

Don

2nd String
I think one of the biggest issues facing the Return of Syracuse as Top 25 mainstay that we simply cannot overlook is the issue of the politics and current trends we see all around the city and state .
We have a tremendous amount of change coming that could cause strong headwinds or open fantastic opportunities to navigate the political structure of this state and this city and it's citizens. Many things are going to affect money available from both government and people that will affect this program going forward.
1. A new mayor of the city will be opon us soon, how will they view the University and it's place in the city? Will they view the carrier dome as an asset ot an afterthought?
2. Billions of dollars is going to be poured into the city in a short time with the pending rebuild of interstate 81. Where does SU and access to the dome fit into that equation will the design of the new road favor or hinder access to the area?
3. The pending modifications of the dome and what and when it will be done, is there state money going to be used for that, how important is this to the new administration on the hill?

The above issues are minor to what I think are the two elephants in the room that are now and going to be problems with bringing the fan base back to a big boy level,

1) let's face it Football with its safety and injuries and head trauma issues is under assault in many circles. Here in this state legislation on the burner or backburner may look at banning tackle foitball until the age of 14 or so. Big names coming out and saying there sons should do anything but play football etc. I firmly believe that there will be legislation in states in the northeast that while they have good intentions will further erode the talent and interest in football in this area.

2. The biggest issue for the program is one you can see right on this site. It's in Texas, and North Carolina, Florida, Atlanta and many other places only to be replaced locally by Bosnia, Syria, Sudan and places that wouldn't know American Football from a Ford Truck. Replacing Football with Football (soccer) is bad for attendance and future fan base of the football team. Look there were articles today in the Syracuse.com talking about many districts in the city so full of refugees that only 60 percent or so of the students could speak English . I'm not saying it's bad or goid as a whole but im flat out saying it's bad for football. These right now are lower income residents who not only have no former ties to football but don't have the money to spend on games .

The suburbs cannot supply enough fans on there own to develop a big enough fans base toe get 40000 people when say we play a Colgate which I consider to be the measure of a solid program. If we fill the stadium to 80 percent against lower tear teams we have a healthy program that is big boy football. Very Frankly going forward I have doubts this program can average 80 percent capacity for a season unless the team is like top ten.
Currently I don't think the numbers line up geopolitical from the states and cities inner working to see a strong fan base that can fully support the big time football .

Sorry can you move this to the football board

I wouldn't worry about immigrants. They are nor pouring in to the country at a large enough number to affect popularity of a sport. Pure silliness.

The head trauma stuff is real though. But I suspect more studies will lead to more precautiuons in all sports.

Just win. We'll be fine.

The two biggest problems facing football are CTE and the fact that more and more colleges and universities have majority-female student bodies. It wouldn't surprise me in the least when football as presently played is eventually banned over CTE. It won't happen next week or next year, but it will happen. If football doesn't have a fix in place when it happens, it will be gone forever. And remember, CTE is not just about "knocked out cold" concussions. The bigger time bomb is the demographics of higher education today. Ignoring the ugliness that Briles' son used as an incentive for recruits (the elephant sitting in the corner), will there be Sugar Mommies to replace the Sugar Daddies that finance the sport now? Even if the Sugar Mommies give money to the general athletic department fund that's still less money for football than it gets now.

SU faces an obstacle that UVa currently does not, the recent rulings that players at private schools are employees. USC-w can afford to have a football team under that set-up and is probably willing to do it. Stanford and ND can afford it, but their administrations will not go along with any set-up that does not require their players to attend class. Baylor and TCU probably would like to continue playing under the new set-up, but the question they face is whether they have the money to do it. That ruling could eventually force every private school (not just those in the P5) to dial back football to what amounts to a D-3 level of existence. A separate board in the Labor Department would have to take up the issue for it to become a problem for public schools.

I think one of the biggest issues facing the Return of Syracuse as Top 25 mainstay that we simply cannot overlook is the issue of the politics and current trends we see all around the city and state .
We have a tremendous amount of change coming that could cause strong headwinds or open fantastic opportunities to navigate the political structure of this state and this city and it's citizens. Many things are going to affect money available from both government and people that will affect this program going forward.
1. A new mayor of the city will be opon us soon, how will they view the University and it's place in the city? Will they view the carrier dome as an asset ot an afterthought?
2. Billions of dollars is going to be poured into the city in a short time with the pending rebuild of interstate 81. Where does SU and access to the dome fit into that equation will the design of the new road favor or hinder access to the area?
3. The pending modifications of the dome and what and when it will be done, is there state money going to be used for that, how important is this to the new administration on the hill?

The above issues are minor to what I think are the two elephants in the room that are now and going to be problems with bringing the fan base back to a big boy level,

1) let's face it Football with its safety and injuries and head trauma issues is under assault in many circles. Here in this state legislation on the burner or backburner may look at banning tackle foitball until the age of 14 or so. Big names coming out and saying there sons should do anything but play football etc. I firmly believe that there will be legislation in states in the northeast that while they have good intentions will further erode the talent and interest in football in this area.

2. The biggest issue for the program is one you can see right on this site. It's in Texas, and North Carolina, Florida, Atlanta and many other places only to be replaced locally by Bosnia, Syria, Sudan and places that wouldn't know American Football from a Ford Truck. Replacing Football with Football (soccer) is bad for attendance and future fan base of the football team. Look there were articles today in the Syracuse.com talking about many districts in the city so full of refugees that only 60 percent or so of the students could speak English . I'm not saying it's bad or goid as a whole but im flat out saying it's bad for football. These right now are lower income residents who not only have no former ties to football but don't have the money to spend on games .

The suburbs cannot supply enough fans on there own to develop a big enough fans base toe get 40000 people when say we play a Colgate which I consider to be the measure of a solid program. If we fill the stadium to 80 percent against lower tear teams we have a healthy program that is big boy football. Very Frankly going forward I have doubts this program can average 80 percent capacity for a season unless the team is like top ten.
Currently I don't think the numbers line up geopolitical from the states and cities inner working to see a strong fan base that can fully support the big time football .

Downer.

Very Frankly going forward I have doubts this program can average 80 percent capacity for a season unless the team is like top ten.

I'm sorry, but this couldn't be more wrong. If SU can break through in 2 seasons and finish even in the 20's, the following season will see a significant rise in average attendance (assuming it's not a fluke). The problem is the disconnect with the younger generation. There have only been a few seasons which would have even hit their radar from an interest standpoint, the Marrone goes Bowling years. Even during those years, the product on the field was boring (sans the lone 2012 season).

The diehards will keep doing what they're doing. A Top 25 season would bring the bandwagoners back into the fold. Right now, they don't really exist from a gameday attendance standpoint. These transformations happen pretty quickly.

The real issue is the unknown at this point.. If Babers can turn Syracuse into a Top 25 program, does he stick around to push this team to higher levels (rhetorical question)?! Unfortunately, we won't know until the time comes.

The fanbase that's needed to support the team through the next generation doesn't exist. They have to be given a reason to congregate. Historically speaking though, once there is some level of stability within the program and some element of sustained success, the bandwagoners start coming out in troves.

I never realized that Muslim refugees were killing football...

You should tell the White House. I bet they haven't thought of this yet and, if the danger-to-America argument doesn't work with the Supreme Court, the but-it's killing-football just might.

I must confess that I am not looking forward to sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner and having to watch Buzkashi on Fox instead of the Lions and the Packers...

I never realized that Muslim refugees were killing football...

You should tell the White House. I bet they haven't thought of this yet and, if the danger-to-America argument doesn't work with the Supreme Court, the but-it's killing-football just might.

I must confess that I am not looking forward to sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner and having to watch Buzkashi on Fox instead of the Lions and the Packers...
I'm sure the Texas and Alabama AGs will highlight that in their amicus briefs to SCOTUS in support of the ban.

2. The biggest issue for the program is one you can see right on this site. It's in Texas, and North Carolina, Florida, Atlanta and many other places only to be replaced locally by Bosnia, Syria, Sudan and places that wouldn't know American Football from a Ford Truck.

I think they have also infiltrated the hoops board...

All the "Boeheim needs to go" and "Boeheim has lost the team" and "Boeheim can't recruit" posts have to be people who don't realize how much success Boeheim has had over the last 40 years - so they must be new arrivals who only have this year as their SU hoops experience...