Thinking out loud | Syracusefan.com

Thinking out loud

NateW

Living Legend
Yesterday was sickening but with the way this season has gone but some things about the game certainly made me perk up a bit.

The way Gbinije played in the first half... MORE OF THIS PLEASE. Aggressive, aggressive, aggressive... taking the ball to the hoop for buckets and dishes, pulling up for mid-range jumpers, the occasional 3 ball. This guy has all the tools available to him to be an outstanding offensive player. He just needs to stay confident and aggressive.

The pick and roll game in the second half between Rak and Joseph. MORE OF THIS PLEASE. Joseph looks great in space heading to the hoop along with seeing a couple of those open mid range jumpers going down pure. Rak's athletic ability and underrated/underused 12 foot jumper could be a fantastic weapon for us going forward.

Something I didn't see that was disappointing was the High/Low game between Rak and McC. MORE OF THIS PLEASE!!!

Someone posted in the game thread yesterday that they didn't agree with taking Roberson out with around 5 mins to go. Love his back to the basket game from 15 ft out. Just matriculating his way to the basket. He hit some open 15-17 footers yesterday and one was when the crowd was at its peak and he was able to knock a jumper down. Hitting that shot showed growth to me.

Defensively I like our guards quick hands, in the first half we were able to get some steals and get out and run. I wish our wings blocked more shots like Grant did for us the last two years. One big problem for us is our lack of depth. Once we got in foul trouble our inside defense was easier to carve than butter because no one wanted to risk picking up a foul. Let's hope B.J. can elevate his game this season and get in Jimmy's good graces because we could use his 5 fouls.

Sorry for the rambling, just some thoughts I wanted to get down... I like the team, we just need Gbinije and Cooney to do what they did in the first half more often than not. Good news is that with that first half performance they proved it can be done..... lack of consistency is the bad news.

Last edited:
The way Gbinije played in the first half... MORE OF THIS PLEASE. Aggressive, aggressive, aggressive... taking the ball to the hoop for buckets and dishes, pulling up for mid-range jumpers, the occasional 3 ball. This guy has all the tools available to him to be an outstanding offensive player. He just needs to stay confident and aggressive.

That first half was quite amazing. He was rebounding well - showing some impressive hops/athleticism. He looked like the most talented player on the team by a wide margin at times.

In the second half, by about 3 minutes in I was cringing every time he touched the ball.

Kid is an enigma. Overall a good game, but at the end he killed us, and I thought he was fairly bad most of the second half fwiw even before he missed free throw and had those inbounding debacles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom