This could be a cool avatar | Syracusefan.com

This could be a cool avatar

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
medium_restore44.bmp

Not sure if anyone has used this before?

It went along with this story and a note from Rob Konrad:

This is the logo being used by the group of Syracuse fans who want the No. 44 jersey unretired and placed back in uniform circulation.Syracuse, NY -- This discussion will probably never go away because those who think the No. 44 jersey should be unretired and placed on the nearest running back aren't giving up any time soon. So, with that said, I did issue some queries out there to contribute to the discussion. Syracuse University director of athletics Daryl Gross responded today and pretty much says it ain't happening.

"Just like MLB has retired Jackie Robinson's 42 for all of baseball," Gross wrote by email today, "we have retired 44 out of respect for Ernie Davis the FIRST African American to win the Heisman trophy, as well as Jim Brown the greatest football player ever and Floyd Little our only 3 time All American. Out of respect to these men and their accomplishments 44 will remain retired. The 44 number will always be displayed prominently in the Dome so no one ever forgets the legacy. "

I also got this response from fullback Rob Konrad, the last Syracuse player to wear the No. 44 jersey. I asked Rob how he felt about the retirement of the No. 44 jersey:

Donnie,

Thank you for your question. I think of the #44 at Syracuse as a symbol that's interpreted in many different ways. Some people view it as only a number, not relevant in today's game. Some people view it as a recruiting tool used to entice top high school prospects. If you ask Jim, he might tell you it was just his number while he was playing. Floyd might tell you that it represented a certain expectation of excellence as he followed in the footsteps of two great collegiate running backs. The following is my experience and interpretation of the number.

1.) The offer to wear Jim Browns number was a factor in my decision to attend Syracuse, the number was offered to me only after a offer from Notre Dame. When I arrived at Syracuse it was made clear that I was to be held to a different standard for my performance on the field and my actions in the community. I was the first fullback to be issued the number, I knew I wouldn't have a chance to statistically compete with the former tailbacks, but the tradition of excellence is what I embraced and was the essence of what the number meant to me.

2.) I didn't understand the history of the number until I spent a few years on campus. When I look back at the number and its history, I think mainly of I think of three great men, a University that demonstrated courage during socially turbulent times, and an outcome that helped to liberalize collegiate athletics. It's my contention that the number transcends college football and stands as a symbol for equity and excellence. I believe the program should be proud of its history and keep it displayed as a symbol of the values embodied by the University.

It's been said that the only constant in football is change. Coaches, players and schemes are constantly being upgraded and improved. Winning in college football today is quite different from the 70's or 80's. My hope is that the new staff will embrace certain core principles that have lead to the past success of Syracuse Football (Northeastern recruiting, high character players, tough preparatory schedule) and match it with the new advantageous schemes of today (unconventional offenses and multiple defenses). New helmets, logos and retired numbers are periphery marketing items that should rest on top of a solid foundation that's the heart of a program. The core of this program needs to be rebuilt, and I hope it's the focus of the Athletic Department and the new coaching staff.

If any movement takes place with retired numbers, I may be partial but I think #5 should be the next to go up.

Best of luck to you and the Orange in 09
Robert Konrad - President & CEO
ALTERNA CAPITAL
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Link

When was the written OE?
Also, the number 5 at Syracuse should 100% be used as a recrutiting tool, that number is part of what made SU football my team growing up

When was the written OE?
Also, the number 5 at Syracuse should 100% be used as a recrutiting tool, that number is part of what made SU football my team growing up
Published: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 2:06 PM Updated: Tuesday, January 13, 2009, 3:02 PM

It's funny that Gross cited the "Legacy" of 44. A "Legacy" is something that gets handed down. I think the word Gross should use is "Legend", not "Legacy". And, I think his reply is bullsh!t.

Konrad seems to be planted firmly on top of the fence on this one. Even with his own admission that #44 was a factor in his decision, yet he very politically declined to opine on if he thinks it should be unretired.

Hmm, this is interesting. Maybe outdated? Floyd Little was just on the local ESPN radio affiliate 102.3 here in Denver not even an hour ago. He was promoting his new book. He was on for about 45 minutes. He said that in fact he has an agreement of some sort with SU on un-retiring 44 for his grandson that is like 3 yrs old or something like that. But he said that he can give or anoint the number to a player now if he deemed worthy. He said it would be a junior, no frosh or sophomores.

A few years ago during the signing day event/spring practice, Marrone said that there was a group of people (he, Gross, Floyd, Jim I believe) that would determine if/when a veteran player had earned the right to wear the number. I think this is the right way to go about it, and I look forward to the day that we break it out again. If we could use it to recruit a top-flight back who was a can't-miss prospect, that'd be great, but I'd be nervous about someone coming in and bringing down the value of the number (and yes, I know not every 44 was excellent).

A few years ago during the signing day event/spring practice, Marrone said that there was a group of people (he, Gross, Floyd, Jim I believe) that would determine if/when a veteran player had earned the right to wear the number. I think this is the right way to go about it, and I look forward to the day that we break it out again. If we could use it to recruit a top-flight back who was a can't-miss prospect, that'd be great, but I'd be nervous about someone coming in and bringing down the value of the number (and yes, I know not every 44 was excellent).
I really think this is the best approach. If you look at some of the big name, can't miss 5 star RBs in the past few years - they have gotten to schools like Tennessee and Rutgers and then done nothing. I think you'd run the risk of bringing in a kid and have him wearing 44 on the bench if he couldn't unseat some of the current RBs. Or even worse doing something stupid and get the publicity of having the current #44 suspended or kicked off the team. I'd much rather see some kid come to campus - tear it up on the field while demonstrating themselves as solid citizens for the program and then deciding this is a guy who's worthy of continuing on the legacy and giving him the #.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom