This FBI case causes me to apologize to Jim Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

This FBI case causes me to apologize to Jim Boeheim

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am not afraid to say when I am wrong.

While I don't think any program is 100% clean I don't think Boeheim would pay for commitments.

In recruiting he doesn't seem like the guy to play that game and if we are losing kids because of not playing this game good job JB.

I think programs have been paying for recruits via 3rd party channels for years. Good job DOJ.

While I don't think any program is 100% clean I don't think Boeheim would pay for commitments.

In recruiting he doesn't seem like the guy to play that game and if we are losing kids because of not playing this game good job JB.

I think programs have been paying for recruits via 3rd party channels for years. Good job DOJ.
Suddenly, Syracuse, UConn and others couldn't recruit a top 10 player. Yes, this year we got Bazley, but he was about #50 when we got him. Arizona and USC hitting on the recruiting trail. And Oregon.

Too soon.

You don't end up a program of this stature without messing around a bit.

Louisville was becoming a problem in the ACC for Duke and UNC. Remember our first year in the ACC when we beat Duke? We got the sanctions right after. Don't mess with the golden egg.

You think only 8 schools are paying players? I'd argue a majority of D1 does. I know a school in the Big East that does and the exact amount they pay players. We're not special.

P.S. Still waiting for the UNC punishment.

Why would you write this now? We are an hour into it.

Too soon.

You don't end up a program of this stature without messing around a bit.

Louisville was becoming a problem in the ACC for Duke and UNC. Remember our first year in the ACC when we beat Duke? We got the sanctions right after. Don't mess with the golden egg.

You think only 8 schools are paying players? I'd argue a majority of D1 does. I know a school in the Big East that does and the exact amount they pay players. We're not special.

P.S. Still waiting for the UNC punishment.

I would be amazed, flat-out head-sewn-to-the-carpet stunned if any of the 60-odd big conference schools never steered money to a high school kid or his family. And I'm not talking about "helped out with a medical procedure" or "arranged a car" or "covered Mom's rent check."

It's a universal practice at the highest level. Kentucky does it, Northwestern and Stanford do it, and so does everyone in between.

It's obvious our recruiting hasn't been as good for a reason.
jim-boeheim.jpg

Last edited:
I don't doubt that there is a certain amount of payola going on. I also don't doubt that some of our recruiting misses over the last several years may have had to do with payola.

However, I still have to believe that payola is more the exception than the rule.

It does not explain why our recruiting has been below par the last several seasons. Seems we are rebounding now. Staff seems to be going back to what they do best, ie, identify and wrapping up early some of the under the radar kids. Of course, getting Bazley was a huge positive.

I am very optimistic that program is uptrending now.

I don't doubt that there is a certain amount of payola going on. I also don't doubt that some of our recruiting misses over the last several years may have had to do with payola.

However, I still have to believe that payola is more the exception than the rule.

It does not explain why our recruiting has been below par the last several seasons. Seems we are rebounding now. Staff seems to be going back to what they do best, ie, identify and wrapping up early some of the under the radar kids. Of course, getting Bazley was a huge positive.

I am very optimistic that program is uptrending now.

Or we are paying more? We lose recruits it's because others are paying them. We suddenly start landing top guys again and it's stepped up effort? I sure hope so, but I'm going to wait to see how this all plays out before I spend too much time congratulating SU for being clean.

I have also been critical of JB and our recruiting at times. It certainly does put things in perspective. It wasn't a level playing field. Yet he's still had us competitive year after year. JB, thank you for being a good and honorable man/coach. Proud to be Orange!!!

I would be amazed, flat-out head-sewn-to-the-carpet stunned if any of the 60-odd big conference schools never steered money to a high school kid or his family. And I'm not talking about "helped out with a medical procedure" or "arranged a car" or "covered Mom's rent check."

It's a universal practice at the highest level. Kentucky does it, Northwestern and Stanford do it, and so does everyone in between.

Right. Agreed. To Alsacs' point...Boeheim is a man of integrity and would not ever take bribes. He may be too laissez-faire in terms of policing what is going on with the kids at SU or too lax with the teaching of fundamentals, but, the man has integrity.

Right. Agreed. To Alsacs' point...Boeheim is a man of integrity and would not ever take bribes. He may be too laissez-faire in terms of policing what is going on with the kids at SU or too lax with the teaching of fundamentals, but, the man has integrity.
Yeah, he coould be paying players (or giving himself plausible deniability), but I couldn't see him taking money to steer players. I also think agents are one of the many things JB hates.

Alsacs since you have a law background, care to explain how charges can be brought against the Miami and USC coaches? It seems a broad application of the law to me. The coaches work for private institutions. They offered money to a non official (player) of a government or company. While it is morally wrong and breaks NCAA rules, does it really legally break the law?

Alsacs since you have a law background, care to explain how charges can be brought against the Miami and USC coaches? It seems a broad application of the law to me. The coaches work for private institutions. They offered money to a non official (player) of a government or company. While it is morally wrong and breaks NCAA rules, does it really legally break the law?

Bilas said it doesn't actually re: Louisville. Nothing wrong legally per se he said with steering or trying to influence a kid to a certain school.

Last edited:
Bilas said it doesn't actually re: Louisville. Nothing wrong per se he said with steering or trying to influence a kid to a certain school legally.

You could argue at state schools they are state employees using government funds. Still s reach though IMO

I agree with that but that's where SUs weakness lies. We can have guys like Rob Johnson under our nose and be doing nothing about it.