This game boils down to this Wake OL dominating Syracuse DL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This game boils down to this Wake OL dominating Syracuse DL

I am sitting here wet as heck and man our DL is really letting the Wake OL dominate us.

The D held that goalline stand but man our DL needs to light a fire under its a$$ at halftime.
The wind here is crazy people don't realize how hard it is to throw why we aren't stacking the box has me perplexed.

disagree this game boils down to our offense staying in syracuse instead of travelling for the game as they lost it for us defense held up spercial teams did good

And you keep on slingin' those H0T Takes, Stephen Smith.

The only thing worse than this loss is you now having a platform for your temper tantrums.
these aren't H0T Takes, and they aren't temper tantrums. c'mon man you just posted that you think we would be wake 9 out of 10 after we just got our asses whipped. it isn't dino's best showing, can we at least agree to that?

so dino's excuse from now on is weather? wake forest is throwing the ball and getting yards. why can't we? oh yeah, they have more talent. yeah, wake forest is more talented that we are. keep blaming the weather.
I think Wake and Clawson wanted this game more than we did, and we let the weather take away any fear our offense can generate in an opponent.

these aren't H0T Takes, and they aren't temper tantrums. c'mon man you just posted that you think we would be wake 9 out of 10 after we just got our asses whipped. it isn't dino's best showing, can we at least agree to that?

A prominent poster who was a former college football coach sent me a PM tonight, and said [paraphrasing] "if tonight was 70 and clear, we win going away." I agree with that. Even with the late TD we gave up, we kept the score low. Wake isn't very good. I believe that with Babers coaching against Clauson, we win 9 out of 10 because our offensive system is much better than the one Wake runs.

Tonight's weather conditions played right into their hands, unfortunately. And our offense--which has been wracking up lots of yardage, even against an elite team like Louisville--didn't get the job done. They just didn't, I can't give them a pass for how poorly we moved the ball tonight. But playing down three starting OL and in inclement weather made an impact, and if you disagree--well, then agree to disagree.

Three weeks ago, against the ville, people were up in arms when I suggested that the talent on this team wasn't very good, as though I were insulting the players. It is pretty obvious now that the talent gap is stark, even against a team like Wake. We need better players on the OL, at DE, and in the secondary.

And I firmly believe that the numerous threads / posts expressing that our coaching staff is poor and that we should move in a different direction are barking up the wrong tree. We just had a bad game, exacerbated by injuries and the impacts from the weather. We haven't opened holes in the running game all season long, having to play in a torrential downpour that made it tough to throw didn't play to our strengths and worked to Wake's advantage, given their offense.

Regardless, this was a game against a winnable opponent, and we squandered it. We are looking at a 2 or 3 win season, which sucks ***.

A prominent poster who was a former college football coach sent me a PM tonight, and said [paraphrasing] "if tonight was 70 and clear, we win going away." I agree with that. Even with the late TD we gave up, we kept the score low. Wake isn't very good. I believe that with Babers coaching against Clauson, we win 9 out of 10 because our offensive system is much better than the one Wake runs.

Tonight's weather conditions played right into their hands, unfortunately. And our offense--which has been wracking up lots of yardage, even against an elite team like Louisville--didn't get the job done. They just didn't, I can't give them a pass for how poorly we moved the ball tonight. But playing down three starting OL and in inclement weather made an impact, and if you disagree--well, then agree to disagree.

Three weeks ago, against the ville, people were up in arms when I suggested that the talent on this team wasn't very good, as though I were insulting the players. It is pretty obvious now that the talent gap is stark, even against a team like Wake. We need better players on the OL, at DE, and in the secondary.

And I firmly believe that the numerous threads / posts expressing that our coaching staff is poor and that we should move in a different direction are barking up the wrong tree. We just had a bad game, exacerbated by injuries and the impacts from the weather. We haven't opened holes in the running game all season long, having to play in a torrential downpour that made it tough to throw didn't play to our strengths and worked to Wake's advantage, given their offense.

Regardless, this was a game against a winnable opponent, and we squandered it. We are looking at a 2 or 3 win season, which sucks ***.

Great post. It's like the previous games were a mirage. Offense got bogged down due to weather and weather conducive to WF tempo. The end. Nothing more to see.

We all need to wish Babers and his staff the best of luck trying to upgrade the talent coming off a poor season and likely another next year.

Awful hard to do. He's gonna have to sell the scheme, but again, a hard sell with little results on the field and few fans in the stands.

you just cant refrain from the personal insults can you? you called me a dummy and stupid in the same post. we aren't losing because of weather, we are losing because wake forest is coaching circles around us.
Maybe they're better right now. Ever think of that?

We all need to wish Babers and his staff the best of luck trying to upgrade the talent coming off a poor season and likely another next year.

Awful hard to do. He's gonna have to sell the scheme, but again, a hard sell with little results on the field and few fans in the stands.
That's why I think regardless of the record, we need Dungey and ET to put up big numbers. You can sell that.

Wake had strong RBs who ran hard. Which is nice for them.

I get what RF and others are saying but, in good conditions, who's to say that Wake couldn't drop 40 something on us while we get our 28 or whatever. They have a better defense (clearly), more physical and mature players, better/stronger backs, etc.

I don't know. It's talent bottom line. When Dino is pretty much saying that in the ND presser then you know it is bad. I like Dino and definitely want to see this transition undergo its full metamorphosis but if he can't get better players (I'm optimistic that he will) then it's all null and void.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wake Dline crushed the SU O-Line...none. It made Dungey look like it was his first start of his career. This group HAD to play a good game and they can not handle any kind of blitz package. I know the O-Line is hurt but they needed to step up and they failed to do so. That...was the biggest difference of this game.

The defense was fine. I saw some good things and some bad but overall their performance was solid as was the D-Line.

I get what RF and others are saying but, in good conditions, who's to say that Wake couldn't drop 40 something on us while we get our 28 or whatever. They have a better defense (clearly), more physical and mature players, better/stronger backs, etc.

I don't know. It's talent bottom line. When Dino is pretty much saying that in the ND presser then you know it is bad. I like Dino and definitely want to see this transition undergo its full metamorphosis but if he can't get better players (I'm optimistic that he will) then it's all null and void.

All I have to do is look at what happened in the other games hosted in north carolina yesterday. ND had ZERO points at halftime, and finished with three. Pass-happy / high scoring UNC got beat something like 34-3. The weather yesterday wreaked havoc on all three games for the teams that emphasize moving the ball through the air. So it wasn't just us struggling and having an "off" day offensively.

When your team emphasizes moving it on the ground, and your primary offense is three yards and a cloud of dust? Well, not surprisingly NC State and Wake Forest did pretty well. Because having to run played to their strengths. Our OL hasn't opened holes in the running game all season long, and our RBs don't run inside effectively. So when that's what we tried to do, no surprise we were ineffectual.

I'm not excusing Dungey--he had a lousy game. But pointing out causal factors isn't making "excuses," they are in actuality reasons. This was a--pardon the pun--perfect storm of events that significantly advantaged WF [and NC State, and VT] and hurt us [and ND and UNC] as teams that use the deep ball as a staple of the offense.

In terms of talent, I liked what the coaching staff did in limited time last year with the class of 2016, and I like what they're bringing in for the class of 2017. Probably not a bad thing that the majority of the class is already lined up, given our record. But I think the talent issue is going to be addressed BOTH by bringing in better players to replace the incumbents AND letting some of the young players on this team who've been thrown to the wolves too early to mature. Like what we've got at DE and OL. It will be a process, and there's no question that having to experience the growing pains in the middle of that process suck.

I think if we played WF 10 times, we'd beat them 9 out of 10.

Before the weather was even forecasted, Vegas had this game at right around a pick em. If this was a game that we win 9 out of 10 times, we'd be around I'd estimate a 17-21 point favorite.

Before the weather was even forecasted, Vegas had this game at right around a pick em. If this was a game that we win 9 out of 10 times, we'd be around I'd estimate a 17-21 point favorite.

Exactly. It's an even match up at best, it's not like we were a heavy favorite, nobody cares that we were good 25 years ago. That and people's refusal to acknowledge that in year 3 under clawson that wake may actually be getting better as well.

Exactly. It's an even match up at best, it's not like we were a heavy favorite, nobody cares that we were good 25 years ago. That and people's refusal to acknowledge that in year 3 under clawson that wake may actually be getting better as well.

I mean, Wake went on the road and beat a solid Indiana team (a team that beat Michigan State). That's better than any win we have this year. They're worthy of our respect.

Pick 'em for a road game? Tells me everything we need to know.

And also, I firmly believe that our offense > than theirs, and under normal conditions we would have a much easier time outscoring them than they would keeping up with us, a la uconn.

Pick 'em for a road game? Tells me everything we need to know.

And also, I firmly believe that our offense > than theirs, and under normal conditions we would have a much easier time outscoring them than they would keeping up with us, a la uconn.

A road game pick em does not translate into a team winning 9 out of 10. Probably more like 6 out of 10.

And our offense against UConn did not score a touchdown between the 10:48 mark of the first quarter and the 2:14 mark of the 4th quarter.

A road game pick em does not translate into a team winning 9 out of 10. Probably more like 6 out of 10.

And our offense against UConn did not score a touchdown between the 10:48 mark of the first quarter and the 2:14 mark of the 4th quarter.

I didn't say that it translates to anything, but it is telling about what Vegas thought about our chances despite being a struggling team, on the road against a 4-1 team.

Perspective: all we had to do is find a way to score more than 21 points last night. That's what we held their offense to. I'll take our offense over theirs and like our chances against Wake any time we aren't playing in attrocious conditions.

I didn't say that it translates to anything, but it is telling about what Vegas thought about our chances despite being a struggling team, on the road against a 4-1 team.

Perspective: all we had to do is find a way to score more than 21 points last night. That's what we held their offense to. I'll take our offense over theirs and like our chances against Wake any time we aren't playing in attrocious conditions.

The weather conditions in last night's game definitely was a major factor. Clawson couldn't have been happier to not only see rain, but a strong wind. We didn't use any tempo because we needed a dry ball, and our downfield passing game was pretty much ripped from the playbook. Really was devastating and the vegas line reflected such. Wake went from a small favorite of 1.5/2 to a 4 point favorite once there was an accurate weather forecast. I will admit that Wake has improved some, but I think it's a different story if this is played in different conditions...Then again that's football, so we need to find a way to adapt.