This game isn't even close... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This game isn't even close...

It's kind of funny hearing Maryland fans talk about how they had a good gameplan for the Zone.

Yeah having a kid shoot 7-9 from three is a solid gameplan.

Huerter put the hurt on us for sure, but we ultimately persevered, so kudos to the team for gutting it out.

That being said, the zone will always expose us to the potential of some one going off from beyond the arc, it's the nature of the beast at times. Although, SU was well aware of Huerter's shooting prowess, we have all seen many times where some relatively unknown 2.3 points per game guy goes off for a career night against us. I admit that I'm not a 100% zone, nothing but the zone, so help me god fan, and I wish JB would mix it up more, but those days are long gone for Jimmy, just like his plaid wardrobe and Sally Jesse Rafael glasses. ;):) I can't tell you how many times I just close my eyes when another wide open guy launches a three, especially when it's nail biting time and the game is still in doubt...

Huerter put the hurt on us for sure, but we ultimately persevered, so kudos to the team for gutting it out.

That be said, the zone will always expose us to the potential of some one going off from beyond the arc, it's the nature of the beast at times. Although, SU was well aware of Huerter's shooting prowess, we have all seen many times where some relatively unknown 2.3 points per game guy goes off for a career night against us. I admit that I'm not a 100% zone, nothing but the zone, so help me god fan, and I wish JB would mix it up more, but those days are long gone for Jimmy, just like his plaid wardrobe and Sally Jesse Rafael glasses. ;):) I can't tell you how many times I just close my eyes when another wide open guy launches a three, especially when it's nail biting time and the game is still in doubt...

I just wish he'd have one of the guards (not Battle last night as he was hurting), just play forward a bit, maybe a step over the arc instead of inside it when we have a guy like Huerter hitting from NBA range +. Make them see something different and think about it some.

Huerter can shoot, and I wish he wore orange, but he struggles on defense against quicker guards.

Or physical. Multiple times last night, Frank and Tyus waved everyone off to go right at him. He can't check a bigger guard.

The first half we played poor zone and let them back into the game.. The deep shots most man defenses would be guarding either unless you are playing pure deny man which you could have on him. The 2nf half we paid much more attention to him down the stretch, but still asleep late on the transition 3.

Huerter can shoot, and I wish he wore orange, but he struggles on defense against quicker guards.
This is how I felt after watching him. The guy was making bombs but he was a defensive liability. Tyus was too strong for him and Frank too fast. I'm wondering if he may have be better suited at the top of the 2-3.

Interesting take on Huerter in regards to his "defensive liabilities." I'm not saying he doesn't have any, but what he has to offer on the offensive side and his ability to hit NBA three pointers way offset what defensive deficiencies he may have. And, he's only a soph, so his D will likely improve too...just my $.02.

Yea, SU has been playing a lot of people who aren't centers at center, and that isn't a recipe for success. In general the best SU teams have had two real centers playing the position (not to say they were always great, just that they were centers who boeheim trusted enough not to retreat to more skilled offensive players):
11-12 had fab and baye
9-10 ao and Jackson
03 mcforth
96 Otis hill and JB Reaf

87 Seikaly and Brower

I just wish he'd have one of the guards (not Battle last night as he was hurting), just play forward a bit, maybe a step over the arc instead of inside it when we have a guy like Huerter hitting from NBA range +. Make them see something different and think about it some.

I kept screaming that at the TV, and they finally did it. All they needed to do was be just close enough to force him to move with the ball. He didn't do much at all when forced to dribble. Too bad we waited until over 30 min into the game to adjust. #10 was not shooting inside the zone. He was looking to draw and pass every time. Any move he made to the hoop was with the intent to pass. The two times he finally shot the ball, he missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom