This Game Will Be Remembered for Years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This Game Will Be Remembered for Years

We lost the game in the second half. Can’t expect refs to propel us ever esp in the south

We sound ridiculous complaining about the refs. We lost. Let’s win out

The only problem I have is not getting the call when Shrader was pushed out of bounds. Those drive extending calls give offenses life and that was very similar to the call that led to a Clemson score.

But Clemson took the win and capitalized on our mistakes.

We lost the game in the second half. Can’t expect refs to propel us ever esp in the south

I disagree -- poor officiating deserves to be called out. And it was egregiously lopsided. And it's not just us "complaining," the college sports world also took notice.

That's a completely different thing than blaming the refs for the loss, and for the life of me I can't understand why people have difficulty separating the two concepts.

Right. Im not a big blame the ref guy but we cant totally ignore that it impacts the game. When we talk about the game, we talk about all aspects. I just dont think it impacts the game as much some others think. If you play well enough you leave it out of the refs hands to make a game swinging call.
Our second half game plan wasn’t good. You play to win the game

I’m sympathetic to bad reffing but at end of day we didn’t win the game in the trenches second half. Anae needs to be reviewed critically w how they attacked second half w those turnovers too.

It happens. I think we win out and because we lost this game. It’s a hungry team

Thats too casual to look at it that way. If you watch us all year. We have about 6 concepts that work really well for us and we run them very well. That's what you have to lean on. We throw some wrinkles in here and there but we are not as explosive as you think. Clemson outgained us in yards 450 to 291 because they were better. Not because of bad play calling. They should have found more ways to get Tucker the ball. I agree with that.

Tale of two halves but a great effort by the CUSE. Questionable playcalling in 2nd half is my main negative comment but we will bounce back vs. ND. People are now talking about the Orange so let’s finish strong and go to a nice bowl game.
That’s my point. So much to be proud of in this team.

Enough that we should win out. We have a real vibe this year.

I’m sympathetic to bad reffing but at end of day we didn’t win the game in the trenches second half. Anae needs to be reviewed critically w how they attacked second half w those turnovers too.

It happens. I think we win out and because we lost this game. It’s a hungry team

That's all true.

But it doesn't mean that lopsided officiating having a massive impact on the second half isn't also true.

That’s my point. So much to be proud of in this team.

Enough that we should win out. We have a real vibe this year.

Agreed -- said in another post, that the best salve for this wound is going to be to house Notre Dame next weekend.

I don't even worry about the character of this team, because of the vibe you point out

Thats too casual to look at it that way. If you watch us all year. We have about 6 concepts that work really well for us and we run them very well. That's what you have to lean on. We throw some wrinkles in here and there but we are not as explosive as you think. Clemson outgained us in yards 450 to 291 because they were better. Not because of bad play calling. They should have found more ways to get Tucker the ball. I agree with that.
I think this is fair. I’m saying w the turnovers you need to get first downs in second half to extend drives and run clock efficiently. They just needed 3 pts to put it away imo

They didn’t get it and that’s a hat tip to Clemson. The penalties were painful but Syracuse had a chance in spite of them

I agree with this thread 100 percent. This was a program trajectory changing game. It will take me a while to get over it.

I played NCAA football 2010 with my buddy and beat up on them and it made me feel better temporarily. What hurts so much is Clemson was begging us to take it. Referees certainly didn’t help. The PI call was the most egregious in my opinion. Textbook coverage and to call that in that situation is ridiculous.

We should have won that game, it was there for the taking. It’s also a joke that Tucker only touched the ball as many times as he did. I’ve been begging for some middle angle pass plays to him all year.

Missed opportunity to become the talk of the country. It hurts

I think this is fair. I’m saying w the turnovers you need to get first downs in second half to extend drives and run clock efficiently. They just needed 3 pts to put it away imo

They didn’t get it and that’s a hat tip to Clemson. The penalties were painful but Syracuse had a chance in spite of them
Agree. Penalties killed us. We are not good enough on offense to over come that against a team that hasnt lost at home since 2016.

I don’t know what’s wrong with us, fans that get some bad calls in a close game never complain about officiating. We are so strange !!!!

Last edited:
and as an aside, one of the two Clemson DB's who severely injured a Postal worker while drag racing last year (which is the subject of a pending civil lawsuit), played yesterday (Greene). I have developed a serious dislike for this team and their aw shucks coach.

A real rivalry has been building for a long time and I think it’s official now. Clemson is a real rival for us. Not Pitt, Clemson.
What could have been... but this is the last time we play them annually. From now on we only play Clemson twice in 4 years. Not likely can have a rivalry that you don't play every year. Clemson will play FSU, Georgia Tech, NC State every year.

But, Clemson DOES come to the Dome in 2023.

Also, there is the potential to play them in the ACC Championship Game every year. ;)

ACC Schedule Rotation

Last edited:
Right. Im not a big blame the ref guy but we cant totally ignore that it impacts the game. When we talk about the game, we talk about all aspects. I just dont think it impacts the game as much some others think. If you play well enough you leave it out of the refs hands to make a game swinging call.

Amen! Your sentiment is right on point with Josh Black's tweet posted in another thread shortly after the game yesterday.

Tell that to the Red Sox for virtually the entire 20th century.
They got to multiple world series though and just missed on a championship numerous times.

Let me know when Syracuse does that then I will reconsider my opinion. Until then I stand by it. Not a rivalry.

It will only be hard to forget if we go 11-1. The loss has to prevent something for happening to stick with you. Otherwise it will be like the 2000 NCAAT. You remember the game but it doesn't haunt you.

They got to multiple world series though and just missed on a championship numerous times.

Let me know when Syracuse does that then I will reconsider my opinion. Until then I stand by it. Not a rivalry.
I equate Clemson to Miami. We consider them a rival or monster we need to slay.

These consider us a game on the schedule.

Our rivalries are Rutgers, WVU, BC and Pitt. Wish Penn St but that’s long gone, same w V Tech (just due to no games anymore). WVU is prob moving away too

I equate Clemson to Miami. We consider them a rival or monster we need to slay.

These consider us a game on the schedule.

Our rivalries are Rutgers, WVU, BC and Pitt. Wish Penn St but that’s long gone, same w V Tech (just due to no games anymore). WVU is prob moving away too
ah ok, we don't view the term "rivalry" the same way. You are just listing conference opponents, not all are rivals.

Yeah, agree to disagree on this.

Exactly this… I can’t fathom how some people took it as a moral victory and moved on so quick
There’s no moral victory. We play Clemson close almost every year. People don’t realize the talent we have on both sides of the ball. We haven’t have multiple NFL players on offense and defense in decades. This team is different and you have to capitalize

For a rivalry to really be big, both teams have to cause each other pain. They have to win games that matter to the opponent. It can be playing spoiler in a down year, or it can be a game that matters to both teams. I can't remember the last time Boston College, for example, caused us any pain.

They ended up getting to the playoff anyway in 2017, but they didn't know it at the time, so our upset win over Clemson that year caused them pain - and we've scared them a couple times. I don't think we're just another game on the schedule to them at this point.

We may not quite be rivals yet, but we're on the verge of it. If we knock them off next year, we're rivals IMO and I'm actually a little disappointed we don't play them every year anymore. I'd swap them for FSU in a heartbeat.

Our main football rivals are going to be Pitt and Clemson going forward imo.

Ur right. 2nd half we played not to lose or so it seemed instead of being aggressive. Go down swinging is my thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom