This happened last year... | Syracusefan.com

This happened last year...

MCC

Starter
UMBC takes out VA by 20

It happens: teams get hot, and it's lights out. Does anyone think VA didn't deserve their 1 seed last year in light of the outcome on March 16, 2018? If so, I suspect (1) those espousing said view don't understand the NCAA tourney selection and seeding process, and (2) those same folks are incredibly myopic. One loss does not a >30 game regular season make.

Can we not bash the squad tonight? I'm not sure any defensive scheme would've disrupted VA's shooters. There are games like these; they're outliers and should be viewed through the appropriate lens.

Our system and our staff have bordered on exceptional for a tick over three decades: singling out one game, and using it to further an indefensible narrative, is beyond gauche. Rather, give credit to VA: they were dialed in from 3; coupled with their usual stalwart defense I don't think any other college team gets within double digits.

To paraphrase Twain: rumors of our denouement have been greatly exaggerated... I expect to lock in an 8 seed at Clemson.

L. G. O.

I guess it’s the same if UMBC beats UVA every year in conference play.
How fortunate then that we took out VA in March 2016 to reach the Final Four. And of course we beat VA in conference play in February 2017, so they haven't beaten us every year in conference play.

I'll take the E8 win and eschew their loss to a 16 seed. Recent history shows we have 2 F4s (2014, 2016), while VA has one S16 and one E8. Doubtless they've been exceptional in conference, but I find the sting of losing to them in ACC play assuaged by the disparate NCAA tourney results.

How fortunate then that we took out VA in March 2016 to reach the Final Four. And of course we beat VA in conference play in February 2017, so they haven't beaten us every year in conference play.

I'll take the E8 win and eschew their loss to a 16 seed. Recent history shows we have 2 F4s (2014, 2016), while VA has one S16 and one E8. Doubtless they've been exceptional in conference, but I find the sting of losing to them in ACC play assuaged by the disparate NCAA tourney results.
I think many of us would rather take our recent tourney success over their regular seasons. Myself included.

However, we’re Syracuse Basketball. We shouldn’t be a middle of the pack ACC team in the regular season while Virginia is out here dominating the conference.

However, we’re Syracuse Basketball. We shouldn’t be a middle of the pack ACC team in the regular season while Virginia is out here dominating the conference.
Unfortunately, that's what Syracuse Basketball is lately, middle of the pack. Have to hope for another good NCAAT run. However, if they procure an 8 or 9 seed as some suggest, that just means playing the 1 seed in the next round, not good.

SU is not a factor in the ACC. People need to realize we are a 500 program in the ACC. Next years team will be no different.

SU is not a factor in the ACC. People need to realize we are a 500 program in the ACC. Next years team will be no different.
Two of our years in the ACC, a successfully recruited 5-star athlete didn't play (McCullough and Bazley). And we have been severely limited by injuries and recruitment restrictions. IMO, it is the early out-of-conference losses and that terrible Georgia Tech game that stand out more than losses to 3 of the top 5 teams in the country in a little over a week.

If UVA beats Louisville on Saturday then in the last 2 full ACC seasons UVA only lost 3 ACC games

If UVA beats Louisville on Saturday then in the last 2 full ACC seasons UVA only lost 3 ACC games
Imagine if we lost 3 ACC games in a season? This board would be going crazy about that team. Just aren’t there

Imagine if we lost 3 ACC games in a season? This board would be going crazy about that team. Just aren’t there

Imagine if we went 17-1 in the ACC, won the ACCT and then lost to UMBC.

Virginia is the new Pitt.

UMBC went 12-24 from 3 in that game. UVA went 4-22 from 3.

Just in case anyone forgot, UVA went freakin’ 18-25 from 3 last night! Most teams can’t even shoot that from the 3 point line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom