This is a dead season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is a dead season

Not how it works.

THis might be the only year we get Tony White coaching our D.

The fact that everyone looks good is a plus but we will lose a lot its just a matter of how much.

We need to win 2 of the next 3 and keep the train on the tracks.

5 games after Clemson we have the winnable games at home and then a chance for big scalps on the road Ville and ND should be ranked. We absolutely need to enter that stretch at least 2-4 with some hope and not 1-5/0-6.

Watched some of the GTech - USF game. GTech showed a good, in-sync OL and a skilled QB who can do check-downs & find open receivers. Hope I'm very wrong, but this doesn't look good for The Dome opener.
I will take our 3-3-5 against a Freshman QB and RB. ALL. DAY. LONG.

They will have no idea what to do. It's the offense I am worried about, can we score enough to win.

i like our defense going up against jeff sims, we should be able to force him into some mistakes. if we can even play slightly better on offense i feel like we should win on saturday.

So if Cisco is the 7-10th best Safety where does that put him in the draft like 6-7 rd? not sure what NFL does with him.. He needs to be in a Pro D that doesnt want him to make tackles or cover guys cause he doesnt do that now.

Good point, he has been opportunistic his first few years, but still lacks fundamentals and angles on coverage and run pursuit. He has the athletic ability but think trill and iffy are actually the better pro prospects. After this year, a year of no fans and losing, I am afraid more kids will take the leap of faith than normal.

Our offense sucks.
It’s not going to get much better.
The OL and QB positions will struggle too much.
We are going to lose Trill and Cisco most likely on defense.

Dino better replace them.
We better hope the Seniors we want to keep will stay.
Next year Dino better have a competent offense or he is done.
Plain and simple.
The pandemic and no spring ball gives him next year.

The performance yesterday on offense and coaching staff in the 4th quarter was pathetic.

End of message.
I think it's premature to forecast the complete season, and unfair to a bunch of kids that are working hard to improve. Changes are necessary but I don't know what should change. Give them a chance to turn the season around. Teams are dynamic and hard to predict. If Dino is the coach I hope he is, he'll try something to change things up. He has hard work to do and not long to do it. Best wishes, coach...

I think it's premature to forecast the complete season, and unfair to a bunch of kids that are working hard to improve. Changes are necessary but I don't know what should change. Give them a chance to turn the season around. Teams are dynamic and hard to predict. If Dino is the coach I hope he is, he'll try something to change things up. He has hard work to do and not long to do it. Best wishes, coach...

Yeah. I don't know what is going to happen but assiming the next 9 games will be the same as the last 2 is foolish.

The next 3 are all at home and are out easiest games with a bye mixed in. We'll know soon what we have. I bet one of them turns into a shootout with both teams in the 40s as improbably as it seems right now.

based on what you see as a safety from him or because you are an SU fan? Other than catching poorly thrown passes well what safety qualities as an NFL player do you see? Size? Speed? Tackling? Cover skills? Hitting?

any he probably does go 2nd/3rd round if 6-7 safeties do go that soon.

we play a style now that lends itself to active safeties . Hard to even know he is on the field except for 2-3 plays a game..

Let's flip this - he's a 2X All American, and you don't think he's going to get drafted, seriously?

didnt say that.. i just dont see high level talent for being an NFL safety.. you go whole games without even knowing he is on the field. he has good hands and catches INTs thats why he makes those teams.. great if he has a great career.

Not how it works.

THis might be the only year we get Tony White coaching our D.

The fact that everyone looks good is a plus but we will lose a lot its just a matter of how much.

We need to win 2 of the next 3 and keep the train on the tracks.

5 games after Clemson we have the winnable games at home and then a chance for big scalps on the road Ville and ND should be ranked. We absolutely need to enter that stretch at least 2-4 with some hope and not 1-5/0-6.

Why do you think only one year of Tony White? I’ve not heard that.

Why do you think only one year of Tony White? I’ve not heard that.

Have you seen how good our D is?

This is no cryptic prediction or any connection or rumor mill stuff just common sense very good assistants move around pretty frequently. If the D keeps it up a bigger school will be interested.

This is no cryptic prediction or any connection or rumor mill stuff just common sense very good assistants move around pretty frequently. If the D keeps it up a bigger school will be interested.
And since everyone knows that Wildhack comes to this board for advice we’re not going to have the money to give him a raise because I’m sure Dino’s buyout will break the bank

We’re going to beat GT on Saturday. I’ll be shocked if we don’t.

We’re going to put pressure on their freshman QB and our secondary is going to make plays. Dino may have lied down and died yesterday but I refuse to believe we’re going to show up and lay a dud. GT stinks
If the offense players stay the same we will.

Not sure what the fascination with Cisco is. He is the least of our worries.

This is a good defensive team paired with one of the worst offenses in recent D1 memory.

Our offense might not be able to score even if GT forgot to put the D on the field.

I’m pretty sure proximity to his family in NYC was a factor in his coming here. I imagine that might keep him here a while as well. Hope it does.

Dino isn't getting fired if we don't win a game this year or next. I don't think the school is going to stomach paying him to go away. Do we even know the length of his contract.

Alsacs is right, this is a dead season. Enjoy progression through the season. I expect dino to coach and teach up as the year goes on. It'll be fun to see it. I'm in awe of the kids who have decided to go full tilt this year with limited practice, risk with covid, etc. We should be applauding the entire dept for getting this off the ground.

SU is a private university and the football team, IMO, is prob 14th on a list of issues they are confronting right now.

To have any expectation is a fools errand.

Our offense sucks.
It’s not going to get much better.
The OL and QB positions will struggle too much.
We are going to lose Trill and Cisco most likely on defense.

Dino better replace them.
We better hope the Seniors we want to keep will stay.
Next year Dino better have a competent offense or he is done.
Plain and simple.
The pandemic and no spring ball gives him next year.

The performance yesterday on offense and coaching staff in the 4th quarter was pathetic.

End of message.

Dead season my @zz.

Nice performance today.

Dead season my @zz.

Nice performance today.
Yeah if the defense gets 4 turnovers every week we can win games.
Our offense sucked again today.

Thank goodness for Tucker.
We were outgained by over 100 yards.
We had 14 first downs the entire game.
But you got me.

I am glad we won but this wasn’t a good offensive performance.

Our defense was elite for the 3rd consecutive week and I never complained about the defense.

But you got me.

Our defense was elite for the 3rd consecutive week and I never complained about the defense.
We definitely got some help from Tech, but it was good to see some big plays and execution. Not fixed yet but take the W

But you got me.

Agree still not good offense, but some improvement, with two weeks before game four I hope we get back a couple OLmen, more practice time for offense, and a better offensive scheme. Devito in my opinion is not what we expected him to be, mainly because of bad decision making.

Last edited:

But you got me.

Unfortunate. As one of my favorite posters it was the perfect moment to say “even I can be an emotional knucklehead”. Instead you felt the need for the double down. Ugh.

Unfortunate. As one of my favorite posters it was the perfect moment to say “even I can be an emotional knucklehead”. Instead you felt the need for the double down. Ugh.

well the thread title says wasted season .. defense is part of the team that comprises the season...

But you got me.

you sort of did though be making the title of the thread “wasted season” if the D is good enough to win games despite the offense, then the title is erroneous

Last edited:
I am a realist.
I am always positive towards SU football.

The poster wanted to dunk on me. I am super happy we won today but my views for this season are the same as last week.

This offense isn’t good.
Our defense is really freaking good.
It showed today even without Cisco it’s a damn good defense.

My view from last week was about the offense.
This offense was a lot better today but it was still sub par for the P5.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom