This is our shot. Starting tomorrow. | Syracusefan.com

This is our shot. Starting tomorrow.

longislandcuse

Living Legend
We are a proud program which has had to endure years of terrible football. We have the coach in place, we have speed, and we have talent. Tomorrow at Noon we can put ourselves back on the map in a big way. Coming off the beatdown of WVU and with the knowledge we our ACC bound, people across the country are beginning to talk about Syracuse football. Win tomorrow and we are knocking on the top 25, beat UCONN and we are top 25, maybe top 20 with our eyes on the Big East Championship and a spot in a BCS bowl game.

Last year we had dreams of a BCS birth, but thats all it was...dreams. I dont think too many of us thought we were there yet, even in a watered down conference. A year later we can put ourselves in the same position and IF we win tomorrow and IF it is convincing.....the fans, the sportswriters and the recruits will really begin to take notice.

After the WVU game, sitting at 5-2 these games are monumental to a quick resurgence. We will get there, i have no doubts...but we can get there in warp speed fashion starting tomorrow!

Big game for sure. One week at a time...

Texted from my Droid...

Baby steps. We are still not "there" yet. We control our own destiny at this point (after WVU beats down RU tomorrow) as far as a BCS bid is concerned, which is a huge step forward, but it's more a testament to the weakness of the BE. We still haven't shown an ability to play consistently good football this season.

I will be very disappointed if we don't win these next 2 games because I think we should, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't. We are going on the road against two teams we have played poorly against, historically, albeit recent history.

Success is our only motherf***ing option.
eminem_lose_yourself_01.jpg

Last year we had dreams of a BCS birth, but thats all it was...dreams. I dont think too many of us thought we were there yet, even in a watered down conference. A year later we can put ourselves in the same position and IF we win tomorrow and IF it is convincing.....the fans, the sportswriters and the recruits will really begin to take notice.

I wouldn't say that last years BCS birth talk was dreams and then say this year is not. This year is no different then last year as far as the reality of a BCS birth. We've played pretty rough in games and played exceptional in 1 game, the most important game luckily. Nobody knows how that success will translate to any of the games coming up, last year we were in the same exact position. Beat some good teams on the road and lose games we should have won. I don't see this year any differently.

Baby steps. We are still not "there" yet. We control our own destiny at this point (after WVU beats down RU tomorrow) as far as a BCS bid is concerned, which is a huge step forward, but it's more a testament to the weakness of the BE. We still haven't shown an ability to play consistently good football this season.

I will be very disappointed if we don't win these next 2 games because I think we should, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't. We are going on the road against two teams we have played poorly against, historically, albeit recent history.

Exactly, if we can beat Ville and UCONN on the road, I think that shows more about our resurgence than a beatdown of WVU at home. I want to see some consistency. I think DM is a very good coach, the speed on this team is evident, and I think we have some real talent. However one game does not qualify us as being back, which is it why it is so important not to lay an egg tomorrow.

Sidenote: I would LOVE to have had that USC game towards the end of the season.

I wouldn't say that last years BCS birth talk was dreams and then say this year is not. This year is no different then last year as far as the reality of a BCS birth. We've played pretty rough in games and played exceptional in 1 game, the most important game luckily. Nobody knows how that success will translate to any of the games coming up, last year we were in the same exact position. Beat some good teams on the road and lose games we should have won. I don't see this year any differently.

The thing that strikes me is that the team we saw against WVU is the team, we were hoping to see all year. Last year we were just in awe that we were actually winning lol. At least I thought coming into this year that we would be able to get pressure on the QB, and with Chandler Jones finally back we did. I thought our offense would be legit...it sucked up until the bye week but that offense we saw against WVU is what, I think alot of us were hoping for. Experience, pretty talented QB, decent RB's with Bailey being a playmaker. WR's who can get open along with a very talented Tight End who would be used alot. Most importantly, a good offensive line. We saw all of that against WVU...now is that what we are, or was that a fluke? We will find out tomorow.

The thing that strikes me is that the team we saw against WVU is the team, we were hoping to see all year. Last year we were just in awe that we were actually winning lol. At least I thought coming into this year that we would be able to get pressure on the QB, and with Chandler Jones finally back we did. I thought our offense would be legit...it sucked up until the bye week but that offense we saw against WVU is what, I think alot of us were hoping for. Experience, pretty talented QB, decent RB's with Bailey being a playmaker. WR's who can get open along with a very talented Tight End who would be used alot. Most importantly, a good offensive line. We saw all of that against WVU...now is that what we are, or was that a fluke? We will find out tomorow.

I agree. I think that part of the way through last year we started to see how many good players we really had and after awhile on this board we expected to win every game. We feel excactly the same way right now but we don't know which SU team is going to show up the rest of the year. Just personally, it seems like the fans feel the exact same way right now as we did at about the same point last year - roughly.

Isn't it amazing that 10-2 and a BCS berth is actually relatively attainable?

Several of the issues entering the season (LBs inexperienced and also undersized; can Bailey carry the load; being healthy; is one QB enough in a long season; developing enough depth to get by; replacing the DTs) have been answered in a positive way. We could have predicted that Provo would have a big year, but the emergence of Dorian Graham has been one of the better surprises in a while. With Chandler back, the whole DL looks like a strength.
A lot of things fell our way against West Virginia -- the kick run-back; wide open TEs making it look easy. We aren't as all-powerful as that looked; West Virginia is certainly not as bad as they looked once things started going bad for them.
And still, we do have a great chance to win some rivalry games and make a statement. This is a new era for SU football, why not? We have veterans in key roles on the offense, and Graham gives the extra spark. The defense needs to get some turnovers and pressures -- to me, that is the key. Any offensive coordinator looking at the WVa film has to be worried about what Coach Shafer will come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom