This is quite the Pitino quote | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is quite the Pitino quote

They are right now. We can play the arbitrary look-back game all day long. Right now, they are the healthier program and would be on a totally different level if they hire Pitino for next year and we retain JB.

Again healthier is arguable. They are 16-12 and were 17-15 last year. They have some of the poorest facilities in the Big East. But yea if they hire Pitino he will
Make them good.

That's a fair list. We are a long way from the 1970's. They've had 2 winning seasons in the past decade and a half. I think it's fair to say it's a tough job. Holy Cross is about the same size as Lemoyne and 40% smaller than PC.
Their football program though is doing really well. Not unrealistic that they might see the chance to make a leap in basketball, which they could do by bringing in someone like Rick and the recruits/transfers he’d attract. It’s much easier to jump start a basketball program than a football one.

I think it's semantics. Jake wrote about this on Cuse.com years ago (Crouthamel). He said HC was considered but BC was the choice. It was written in a way where HC probably was given an option and decided to not take a meeting. So in theory may have never been offered.
No they were offered and declined. Here’s an article a few years ago directly from Holy Cross discussing their declining the invitation and it’s effects. (I have a good friend, a HC grad from that era - the subject is a tough one for him).

Didn't Pitino swear on the Bible that Iona was going to be his last job? Just last year.

"I was offered three really good jobs last year," Pitino said. "But I told the one job, it was a big-time job, I said, 'Look, I've got a $5 million buyout. I had $10 million prior to that. I'm not worth that.'"

Sources told CBS Sports the job Pitino is alluding to is Maryland, which hired Kevin Willard — a former Iona coach and someone in Pitino's circle. (Holy Cross and Rhode Island also inquired.)

We’d be smart to hire Pitino. He still knows how to win and recruit at a high level. JB will never do it because of his fragile ego, but if he was smart and wants to fix his legacy, he’d agree to step down and help facilitate his friend taking over. And If Pitino succeeds—and he undoubtedly would—JB would be praised for finally setting aside his ego and doing the right thing to help resurrect Syracuse basketball. If Pitino brings us back to prominence, the fans would largely forgive JB for the past few years of declining returns. And Pitino would help burnish JB’s legacy and say all the right things to make him look better (sanctions hurt recruiting and the narrative around the program, and so a narrative change had to happen, etc.). It would be a win-win for all. We need the narrative around the program to change right now and Pitino would do that instantly. unfortunately JB’s fragile ego would never allow it to happen.

Last edited:
Pitino said he wants to go to a team that can get to a final four and it would have to be a place where he would want to live. Syracuse is not a place where Pitino or his wife would move to.

We’d be smart to hire Pitino. He still knows how to win and recruit at a high level. JB will never do it because of his fragile ego, but if he was smart and wants to fix his legacy, he’d agree to step down and help facilitate his friend taking over. And If Pitino succeeds—and he undoubtedly would—JB would be praised for finally setting aside his ego and doing the right thing to help resurrect Syracuse basketball. If Pitino brings us back to prominence, the fans would largely forgive JB for the past few years of declining returns. And Pitino would help burnish JB’s legacy and say all the right things to make him look better (sanctions hurt recruiting and the narrative around the program, and so a narrative change had to happen, etc.). It would be a win-win for all. We need the narrative around the program to change right now and Pitino would do that instantly. unfortunately JB’s fragile ego would probably never allow it to happen.
I don't agree with idea that people are going to hold anything against JB. The average fan won't do that. Also the idea that Pitino turns this around in 3 years and we win a title seems like a bridge too far. I would settle for relevance again and a top 4 seed and sweet 16. I agree that Boeheim won't want it for the reasons you mentioned.

We’d be smart to hire Pitino. He still knows how to win and recruit at a high level. JB will never do it because of his fragile ego, but if he was smart and wants to fix his legacy, he’d agree to step down and help facilitate his friend taking over. And If Pitino succeeds—and he undoubtedly would—JB would be praised for finally setting aside his ego and doing the right thing to help resurrect Syracuse basketball. If Pitino brings us back to prominence, the fans would largely forgive JB for the past few years of declining returns. And Pitino would help burnish JB’s legacy and say all the right things to make him look better (sanctions hurt recruiting and the narrative around the program, and so a narrative change had to happen, etc.). It would be a win-win for all. We need the narrative around the program to change right now and Pitino would do that instantly. unfortunately JB’s fragile ego would never allow it to happen.
Likely wouldn't happen for so many reasons, but I could get behind it. 5-year contract, during which time guys like Red, Gmac, J Hart, Hop etc. are getting head coaching experience and can interview in 5 years.

Ok, rarely do I have inside info, but here, I do. Heard from a close friend of Steve Masiello (Ex-Ricky Asst. and very good friend of his), that Pitino will be taking Georgetown… for those saying St. John’s, Louie is not a fan of Ricky. He wouldn’t allow that.

I don't agree with idea that people are going to hold anything against JB. The average fan won't do that. Also the idea that Pitino turns this around in 3 years and we win a title seems like a bridge too far. I would settle for relevance again and a top 4 seed and sweet 16. I agree that Boeheim won't want it for the reasons you mentioned.
Fans won't hold a grudge against JB, he'll probably be forgotten for a few years. If the new hire fizzles folks will wax nostalgic about the Boeheim Era, but either way he'll basically be an afterthought.
Maybe that's what really worries JB, that he'll be forgotten.

Fans won't hold a grudge against JB, he'll probably be forgotten for a few years. If the new hire fizzles folks will wax nostalgic about the Boeheim Era, but either way he'll basically be an afterthought.
Maybe that's what really worries JB, that he'll be forgotten.
I agree every time we struggle people will reminisce. It's hard to forget someone who coached the team for half a century and has his name on the court.

Hoya friends indicate he may go there.
Georgetown makes the most sense in terms of historically good school in a cosmopolitan area where they desperately need a turnaround artist pronto.

You guys are forgetting the real high-profile school in South Bend.
Great point. But they may be a little too sanctimonious for Slick Rick. Lots of alumni "vapors" to be had at the mere thought of "Notre Dame Head Basketball Coach- Rick Pitino".

Great point. But they may be a little too sanctimonious for Slick Rick. Lots of alumni "vapors" to be had at the mere thought of "Notre Dame Head Basketball Coach- Rick Pitino".
Plus, it’s South Bend. Yuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom