This is unwatchable… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This is unwatchable…

The 4 guys red brought in from the portal - how much of this was a consequence of getting a late start? NM is the only one I give him a pass on because Jesse left us at the altar. The others have serious flaws or baggage. I hope it’s not a sign of red’s inability and we’re still behind on nil.

he had no choice and I don't blame him. But a huge % of this board were doing cartwheels over the portal signees and a small % were joking about the 4 guard lineup...and now as it starts to play out people are turning on Red.

I didn't want to stay in-house, I felt we needed to blow it up and start over with new ideas and a new culture. I love Red and I support him but it's going to be hard watching this. It's all the same. iso/weave, poor shooting, no rebounding, now we're seeing bad decisions being brushed off. No WAY would Copeland get away with the carelessness under JB - nor should he. The still can't inbound the ball thing I don't know if I should laugh or cry. (this is a pizza box drawing - the old 7th grade stack would work better than nothing.)

Let’s be real -

We knew year 1 after JB would be a struggle. I actually think all things considered Red did a pretty good job doing what he could to make this roster. JJ and Judah are obviously redundant - but I don’t blame Red for taking JJ when he wanted to come, and I think Judah coming back was a bit of a surprise, but obviously uoire thrilled he comes back. Red wasn’t in a position to turn down either one. I didn’t think he’d be able to keep Benny, Bell, Taylor AND Brown. So I give Red credit for at least trying to build something with the guys that were here.

Red needs his recruits, to implement his style, culture, etc. We’re 5 games in and got blown out by 2 top 10 teams on a neutral court. It sucked to watch but it’s not exactly a surprise either.

Next year Red gets Donnie + Moore. I assume Judah will go the league. JJ/Moore seem like a better fit in the backcourt. Add Freeman to the front court.

The roster construction doesn’t make sense - but Red knows that.

It may get ugly this year - you can kinda see the guys that are playing selfishly. It’ll be interesting to see how they look in February
Also need some established portal help

The 4 guys red brought in from the portal - how much of this was a consequence of getting a late start? NM is the only one I give him a pass on because Jesse left us at the altar. The others have serious flaws or baggage. I hope it’s not a sign of red’s inability and we’re still behind on nil.
Jesse left for money that we couldn’t match because we didn’t have it. That may turn out to be Jesse’s largest pay day he’ll ever see for a years work, I can’t say I wouldn’t make that same decision. If Huggins didn’t screw up they’d probably be a top 15-20 team. Wish Jesse was here but I don’t blame him.

Also need some established portal help
The most established was JJ and he looked lost against us both times and really didn’t have that great of a year. Every team we play you hear “first year transfer” and it’s a dude that is crushing us, we don’t have that.

These guys are young and I give that the benefit of the doubt, but we’re not doing a lot of favors to bring in other recruits.

Jesse left for money that we couldn’t match because we didn’t have it. That may turn out to be Jesse’s largest pay day he’ll ever see for a years work, I can’t say I wouldn’t make that same decision. If Huggins didn’t screw up they’d probably be a top 15-20 team. Wish Jesse was here but I don’t blame him.
I know. I'm referring to when he said he was satisfied with our first 2 offers but we decided not to match the last one. We had the money and just didn't think he was worth the money after it ballooned to a certain point.

The most established was JJ and he looked lost against us both times and really didn’t have that great of a year. Every team we play you hear “first year transfer” and it’s a dude that is crushing us, we don’t have that.

These guys are young and I give that the benefit of the doubt, but we’re not doing a lot of favors to bring in other recruits.
we need to clear roster space big time in the off-season either way.

We are only four games and 10 minutes in, but the offensive strategy is questionable. I am not impressed. Mintz is complaining every other play, Starling can’t shoot, Bell is flawed, MacLeod is very limited. This has the potential to be a very tough year. Very tough.
We have some deficiencies yes… But there are really 2 big things that this team and Red needs to improve to get better… Rebounding which is gonna be tough to improve… And Red needs to get a consistent set lineup for last 10 min of every game … we have competed for 30 min of both 2 games with better teams.. Very good teams .. Leta not undersell them.. We haven’t finished and haven’t executed late with multiple lineups … We shot terrible yesterday and were in the game for 30 minutes… my biggest issues with red and where he needs to get better is lineup decisions and the Benny deal even makes it seem worse

I know. I'm referring to when he said he was satisfied with our first 2 offers but we decided not to match the last one. We had the money and just didn't think he was worth the money after it ballooned to a certain point.
We didn’t have the money, whomever said we did is wrong. We may now but we absolutely didn’t then.

We are only four games and 10 minutes in, but the offensive strategy is questionable. I am not impressed. Mintz is complaining every other play, Starling can’t shoot, Bell is flawed, MacLeod is very limited. This has the potential to be a very tough year. Very tough.
Agree and there is also no spark or aggressiveness in their play. They may be playing man to man but they still are playing slow and lazy. Get the rebounds will you?

But a huge % of this board were doing cartwheels over the portal signees and a small % were joking about the 4 guard lineup...and now as it starts to play out people are turning on Red.
Frankly, these guys all have athletic ability and, at worst, a rudimentary understanding of how to play basketball. I'm seeing the same tired ISO offense and poor basketball fundamentals. That's on the coaching staff. Not sure who else to blame or how to explain it otherwise. Plenty of coaches at the D1 level get more out of less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom