This Is Why Miner Was Wrong | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

This Is Why Miner Was Wrong

You are kidding, right? Jobs create hope. This is a major lost opportunity for Syracuse there is zero debate about that. When you have a gift of 200m offered that can create jobs you jump on it. Period
used this example before but if someone pays for a large portion of a multimillion dollar mansion, it doesn't mean you can afford any of the rest of it, even if that remainder is small compared to the whole thing.

and if you're not included on anything and if the clock is ticking, how is one supposed to evaluate this supposed gift

and if you're not included on anything and if the clock is ticking, how is one supposed to evaluate this supposed gift
Ok... I will give you some idea. Let's say someone walks up to you with a million dollar. He says you can have it but you have to decide in the next minute whether you want to accept or not. Do you tell him you are not 100% exactly sure what you will do with it and decline it or do you accept it and decide the details later?

You are kidding, right? Jobs create hope. This is a major lost opportunity for Syracuse there is zero debate about that. When you have a gift of 200m offered that can create jobs you jump on it. Period

I think we can all agree that Syracuse doesn't need hope.

If Syracuse does need jobs -- and that's an argument for another day -- I don't think the ideal job creation would come in the form of short-term construction work, and I sure don't think such jobs would be worth a significant (several hundred million dollar) city and county expenditure.

Ok... I will give you some idea. Let's say someone walks up to you with a million dollar. He says you can have it but you have to decide in the next minute whether you want to accept or not. Do you tell him you are not 100% exactly sure what you will do with it and decline it or do you accept it and decide the details later?

A better analogy is that he's going to give you $1 million to build a house and you turn it down because you want to know how good the schools are.

I think we can all agree that Syracuse doesn't need hope.

If Syracuse does need jobs -- and that's an argument for another day -- I don't think the ideal job creation would come in the form of short-term construction work, and I sure don't think such jobs would be worth a significant (several hundred million dollar) city and county expenditure.
Syracuse needs a new multi-purposed domed stadium. Dome 2.

I also find it interesting that the city and state just spent 35 mil renovating Fowler only to announce its closing 6 months later.. What

They are not going to close down fowler, they are going to or should I say talking about it to turn it into a technical school. It got hit by the state for poor grades.

Syracuse needs a new multi-purposed domed stadium. Dome 2.

If that were true, I'd probably have a different take (though there were real questions about the city's financial responsibility, site constraints, property taxation, etc. - due diligence was needed).

But I'm on the other side of the fence from that premise. I'm very aware of Gross's desire for a new facility. Need? I don't see it.

I saw dumb and dumber, those guys were lucky to get out alive, no thanks

A better analogy is that he's going to give you $1 million to build a house and you turn it down because you want to know how good the schools are.
was the 200 million a simple grant to the city to build whatever they want? nope. the stadium was going to be worth a lot more than that with lots of missing details

Oh good.

It's this weird game they play by either moving the principal and some teachers and renaming the school or they are replacing it with putting a theme charter type school (Latin, Science, Technology , Arts etc). I always thought it was a shell game when they announced mandated school closings but just switched principals, some teachers and renamed the school and did a little bit of gerrymandering with students.

cuseman and i go way back on this board, from well before you joined the board and made it dumber.
thanks for your helpful, well thought through, and poignant response - to something that wasn't even directed at you.

cuseinchina said:
thanks for your helpful, well thought through, and poignant response - to something that wasn't even directed at you.
Ok if I don't direct a post at you, don't respond to it. Deal, smart guy?

so what makes you an expert on what I had heard... For $ 250,000 in contributions to a Cuomo PAC you too can become an expert in anything you want.

I am not an expert on what you heard. But I do know when to call Bullsh!t when I hear it. She was paying lip service to people who pay for lip service and telling them what they wanted to hear.

If you believed her bullsh!t then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you...cheap.

1556482_803310389698033_4058874436231154476_o.jpg Just as an aside to this stadium talk, Charlotte just opened their new triple A stadium in uptown (downtown up here) Charlotte. It was designed to seat 10,000 people with the ability to add more seats if they can convince a major league baseball team to move. Also part of the plan is a new hotel adjacent to the left field stands. The city of Charlotte and Mecklenberg County kicked in a total of $16 million of the $54 million for construction. The stadium is also within 2 blocks of the Panther's stadium and about 7 blocks from the Bobcat's arena. Opening weekend ended up with only SRO tickets available. It took 10 years to get it done, government infighting, but money wasn't laid out first. Probably would have taken less time to finish if the money part was done first.

They are not going to close down fowler, they are going to or should I say talking about it to turn it into a technical school. It got hit by the state for poor grades.

Not surprised. Job was a disaster anyway.

was the 200 million a simple grant to the city to build whatever they want? nope. the stadium was going to be worth a lot more than that with lots of missing details
So what? Get it rolling and work out the details as you roll.

xc84 said:
So what? Get it rolling and work out the details as you roll.
The details involve the broke city spending money they don't have.

The details involve the broke city spending money they don't have.

Totally incorrect, they were asked for nothing but approval. State, county and private funding only. Nothing from the city. Seems kind of odd that you did not know this up until this point.

CuseOnly said:
Totally incorrect, they were asked for nothing but approval. State, county and private funding only. Nothing from the city. Seems kind of odd that you did not know this up until this point.
I'll find the link tomorrow

I'll find the link tomorrow

Here is a good link for you...
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....uomo_mahoney_miner_new_york_state_budget.html

Another good link for you when you throw out the argument about police, fire and services...
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/dear_mayor_miner_heres_our_arena_vision.html

Clearly says State, County and Private Sector...nothing from the city. There is actually an article out there that actually states it as fact and it was confirmed in some of the video interviews.

Joanie Mahoney also stated on the record that the stadium would be fully taxable and would have been in the city limits on state land.

She blew it BIG TIME there is no disputing it.

Some people on here aren't even worth responding to. To the respectful people, thanks.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....roposal_county_legislature_chairman_says.html

"It's a complex partnership for a regional project that requires state and county funds as well as working with Syracuse University and a private owner-operator,'' McMahon said. "It also would require some support from city hall."

No one can say what that "support" actually is which is the whole point. Stadium proponents pretend like that means that she needs to smile more and pat more backs

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....roposal_county_legislature_chairman_says.html

"It's a complex partnership for a regional project that requires state and county funds as well as working with Syracuse University and a private owner-operator,'' McMahon said. "It also would require some support from city hall."

No one can say what that "support" actually is which is the whole point. Stadium proponents pretend like that means that she needs to smile more and pat more backs

One can assume without knowing too much that support includes preferential tax rates and transfer of city land.