This is why Netflix sucks: | Syracusefan.com

This is why Netflix sucks:

Zelda Zonk

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Tourney Record
Netflix has a lot of quality original programming. But, it was supposed to be a 'movie house.'

You type into the search: Audrey Hepburn, you get exactly ZERO results. Katharine Hepburn? The exact same results as for Audrey. Which do not include either actress. Grace Kelly? Zip. Cary Grant? Zero. James Stewart? Zilch. Hitchcock? Nada.

How is that even possible? How are the yutes supposed to ever understand grace and elegance?

Netflix has a lot of quality original programming. But, it was supposed to be a 'movie house.'

You type into the search: Audrey Hepburn, you get exactly ZERO results. Katharine Hepburn? The exact same results as for Audrey. Which do not include either actress. Grace Kelly? Zip. Cary Grant? Zero. James Stewart? Zilch. Hitchcock? Nada.

How is that even possible? How are the yutes supposed to ever understand grace and elegance?

I think it was a business decision (a bad one). I think they didn't want to pay the costs for retaining the rights to those older movies. They used to have a decent movie library, now not so much.

I think it was a business decision (a bad one). I think they didn't want to pay the costs for retaining the rights to those older movies. They used to have a decent movie library, now not so much.
They have a decent library in their dvd service. I can usually find what I want there.

They have a decent library in their dvd service. I can usually find what I want there.

I've been considering going back to the DVD service. It's hard piecing together streaming services to get access to good movies and have it remain affordable.

Netflix is pretty bad. I may get rid of it after my free disney trial is up.

You’re probably better off with Amazon video.

Last edited:
I just mocked my father for still having their dvd subscription. Yeah, I may have to reevaluate.

Netflix is pretty bad. I may get rid of it after my free sister trial is up.

I will look into their catalog. Thanks.

Netflix is pretty bad. I may get rid of it after my free disney trial is up.

If I could only keep one streaming service, it would be Disney Plus. Hulu’s ahead of Netflix at this point.

If I could only keep one streaming service, it would be Disney Plus. Hulu’s ahead of Netflix at this point.

It’s even better than I expected.

all the places are buying back their rights and starting their own streaming stuff.

I think I was kinda crushed for my “Netflix sucks” post in the H0T Takes post a few years ago. Glad people have come around. If you’ve already run through Breaking Bad a few times, it’s useless.

We just tried a free trial I got from something or other. I forgot to cancel so we have it through December. Can't stand it so far. Old movies, terrible standups that are brand new. It's hard for me just to turn things off in the middle of a show, but we've done that twice now. I cancelled. Documentaries are their saving grace, but I can get those on the firestick.

Roku has some free apps that show the classics but with commercials, youtube also has quite a few. Turner Classic Movies had a service named Filmstruck where you could pay to stream classic movies but it folded. There is a good article about it's demise here: FilmStruck's closing ignites fears that Hollywood's march toward streaming will erase movie history

When AT&T bought Time Warner they got the rights to a lot of the classic movies as well. This New Yorker article makes the case for buying and/or keeping the old DVDs

There are (not so) secret codes that can unlock thousands of movies and shows on Netflix that don't or won't show up on the main menu or in recs. It's a bit of work, as one must log in, then enter in the browser's toolbar netflix's web address plus "/browse/genre/XXXX" to start, But instead of those X's, one types in numbers corresponding to genres and sub-genres (say, horror movies, 8711; then foreign horror movies would be 8654).

Regional differences do occur. Google for the codes. The Telegraph had a comprehensive list. Hope Netflix didn't change the algorithms too much.

here is another good article about it, AT&T owns the rights now so they get to decide how or when the content is made available

"As cultural critic Joanna Scutts aptly observed on Slate.com, the likelihood is that streaming inventories will shrink, a disaster given the cost and diminishing availability of classics on DVD. “Titles that are not available to stream,” she wrote, “will be harder to assign in classes, will cease to bubble up into the cultural awareness, and will eventually cease to matter.” Thank you, AT&T."

“Dolemite is My Name” is pretty great, though.

watched The Philadelphia Story thanksgiving with the family.
Might be my third favorite film. Have you seen High Society? I resisted for nearly 30 years, out of my ‘loyalty’ to The Philadelphia Story, Cary, Kate, and Jimmy, and my distaste for musicals and Sinatra... But I was really pleasantly surprised. It’s good. I wouldn’t have given it a chance if not for Grace Kelly, but it’s good.

Might be my third favorite film. Have you seen High Society? I resisted for nearly 30 years, out of my ‘loyalty’ to The Philadelphia Story, Cary, Kate, and Jimmy, and my distaste for musicals and Sinatra... But I was really pleasantly surprised. It’s good. I wouldn’t have given it a chance if not for Grace Kelly, but it’s good.
when we went Basic Cable they gave us the option to pick ten channels. i told the wife give me ESPN and TCM and she could have the rest. watched cary grant in The Bishops's Wife last night.

Last edited:
when we went Basic Cable they gave us the option to pick ten channels. i told the wife give me ESPN and TCM and she could have the rest. watched cary grant in The Bishops's Wife last night.
I used to have Cary Grant's picture pasted over my SU ID. He's my spirit animal.
Favorite CG films: Bringing Up Baby, Charade, To Catch a Thief, and The Philadelphia Story.

I used to have Cary Grant's picture pasted over my SU ID. He's my spirit animal.
Favorite CG films: Bringing Up Baby, Charade, To Catch a Thief, and The Philadelphia Story.
I just watched Room for One More with Grant and Betsy Drake yesterday on TCM. I think I've seen most of Grant's movies, he's also one of my favorites. I wanted to queue up I Was a Male War Bride but it wasn't available to stream.

Watched a couple of Ginger Roger movies too without Fred Astaire, both of which I had not seen before. Upper World w/ Mary Astor and Having a Wonderful Time that had a very young Red Skelton in the cast.

The one class i remember from college was film study where we got to see a bunch of classics on a big screen back in a time very few of these ever made it to TV. There were all being preserved by Eastman Museum at the time i think

I just watched Room for One More with Grant and Betsy Drake yesterday on TCM. I think I've seen most of Grant's movies, he's also one of my favorites. I wanted to queue up I Was a Male War Bride but it wasn't available to stream.

Watched a couple of Ginger Roger movies too without Fred Astaire, both of which I had not seen before. Upper World w/ Mary Astor and Having a Wonderful Time that had a very young Red Skelton in the cast.
Ginger Rogers is awesome. Also, Irene Dunne. Funny, both of them.

I forgot to mention My Favorite Wife, with Grant and Dunne. Good stuff.
If you like Sophia Loren, Houseboat is cute. Father Goose is okay. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House is cute. Arsenic and Old Lace... Suspicion...