This loss isn't a big deal | Syracusefan.com

This loss isn't a big deal

Cuse House

All American
Losing on the road to a 1 or 2 seed, not a big deal. The concern is how we played. Three biggest issues:

1) Lydon still won't shoot.
2) White is in a serious funk, which he needs to get out of for these last few games.
3) Total lack of rebounding.

The good news is 2 of these are correctable, and I will guess that Lydon gets told by staff that it's now or never to step up. White is too good of a shooter, and I expect him to start hot against GaTech.

Time to refocus for next weekend, and get in the tournament. LGO!

Meh, I can't get too bent out of shape about a loss on the road to a top 10 team.

The larger issues are that Gillon and White disappear at the worst possible times. When Gillon can't drive when big guards take away his driving lanes, he needs to look for his shot elsewhere. It also really affects his handle, which is why we saw Battle bringing the ball up the court much of the game today.

Lydon was aggressive at times, but yes, overall he needs to focus on getting his own shot more. The pump fakes are like the MCW jump passes, a nervous hitch and super annoying. The lack of rebounding was to be expected, but seriously, can White/Gillon show at least a little effort at rebounding? Both of them need to find ways to contribute when their shots aren't falling.

I fully expect this team to benefit from almost a full week off, come out and protect home court next weekend before heading to Brooklyn for the ACC tournament.

I think he does. But I think he is saying it's not realistic to hope for at this point.
Makes sense, I know a few games ago we had a differing opinion on his play. But I think he is probably right. He takes tough shots inside, but he passes up the easy in rhythm threes.

Losing on the road to a 1 or 2 seed, not a big deal. The concern is how we played. Three biggest issues:

1) Lydon still won't shoot.
2) White is in a serious funk, which he needs to get out of for these last few games.
3) Total lack of rebounding.

The good news is 2 of these are correctable, and I will guess that Lydon gets told by staff that it's now or never to step up. White is too good of a shooter, and I expect him to start hot against GaTech.

Time to refocus for next weekend, and get in the tournament. LGO!

I respect your optimism, but when you're currently projected as an 11 seed and have two regular season games left, losing one of them is a big deal (if our goal is to get to the tournament).

Meh, I can't get too bent out of shape about a loss on the road to a top 10 team.

The larger issues are that Gillon and White disappear at the worst possible times. When Gillon can't drive when big guards take away his driving lanes, he needs to look for his shot elsewhere. It also really affects his handle, which is why we saw Battle bringing the ball up the court much of the game today.

Lydon was aggressive at times, but yes, overall he needs to focus on getting his own shot more. The pump fakes are like the MCW jump passes, a nervous hitch and super annoying. The lack of rebounding was to be expected, but seriously, can White/Gillon show at least a little effort at rebounding? Both of them need to find ways to contribute when their shots aren't falling.

I fully expect this team to benefit from almost a full week off, come out and protect home court next weekend before heading to Brooklyn for the ACC tournament.
I can say nothing bad about White. He has had a tough last few games, but he has been money for us all season. Gillon is certainly an up and down player.

It hurts that we were not competitive. This game was over very early. Losing by 20 doesn't look good. It makes Ga Tech a MUST WIN home game. We can't count on winning any games in ACCT.

Margin of loss means nothing especially against one of the best teams

I respect your optimism, but when you're currently projected as an 11 seed and have two regular season games left, losing one of them is a big deal (if our goal is to get to the tournament).
The way I see it, the best teams in the country would struggle at Louisville to leave with a win. Many have had this GaTech game pegged as the game for a week or two now. If we protect home court in front of a packed crowd on senior day, we are likely in.

It hurts that we were not competitive. This game was over very early. Losing by 20 doesn't look good. It makes Ga Tech a MUST WIN home game. We can't count on winning any games in ACCT.
To piggyback off of Chris, they don't have the scores listed next to wins and losses. It's nothing more than a loss on the road to a top team.

I don't know... for me it seems as simple as JB getting with Lydon and telling him that he needs to be more aggressive shooting ...when he gets the ball and has a momentary open look... take the shot. It's really as simple as that. If his passing out of those situations was productive it would be one thing but... IT HASN'T been productive. I'd bet he is leaving 9 to 12 points out there by not taking those shots.

I don't know... for me it seems as simple as JB getting with Lydon and telling him that he needs to be more aggressive shooting ...when he gets the ball and has a momentary open look... take the shot. It's really as simple as that. If his passing out of those situations was productive it would be one thing but... IT HASN'T been productive. I'd bet he is leaving 9 to 12 points out there by not taking those shots.
At this point I think it's a reaction because he did it so often that it has become second nature.

This loss may not be a big deal to the selection committee, but sure is a big deal to us fans (at least to me anyway) due to lack of overall effort. I can accept losing to a better team or losing a close game for various reasons. However, a poor overall effort does not sit well with me whether we win or lose. Guess I've been spoiled by being a fan for 35 years and generally seeing good efforts.

I refuse to kill Gillon. He has won us 2 or 3 games by himself. He is 5'9 and went from Arkansas-Little Rock to Colorado State before he got here. He may be slightly over his head, but that's not on him.

AW3 was an elite recruit who has played in big time P5 basketball before - what he has shown the last few games inexcusable IMO.

But they were competitive at times, cutting into a big early deficit and coming back to actually lead 17-13, before then falling behind by 25 in the second half and then cutting that deficit to 10 or 11 prior to the bottom dropping out for good. And this was all on the road, against a top 10 opponent, with several no show performances by our very short rotation.

I know it wasn't ideal out there today, but the team did show enough in flashes to give me some hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom