This may be my imagination | Syracusefan.com

This may be my imagination

Eric15

Living Legend
But are coaches more impatient this year in terms of just wanting games to end as quickly as possible? Two recent examples off the top of my head and I feel like there's another recent one I'm missing:

In the Notre Dame comeback game, we were up 8 with 30 seconds left and Brey stopped fouling.

Tonight, we were up 10 with 1 full minute left and would have been shooting one and one (and then two more one and ones after that), and Clemson stopped fouling.

Obviously the chances of victory are very slim at that point, but it's not like we're talking a 30 point lead. Crazy comebacks from 8-10 down with a minute left due to missed free throws and a bunch of threes happen every year. I mean, I'm thankful the others teams did that for our benefit. I just think it's weird.

But are coaches more impatient this year in terms of just wanting games to end as quickly as possible? Two recent examples off the top of my head and I feel like there's another recent one I'm missing:

In the Notre Dame comeback game, we were up 8 with 30 seconds left and Brey stopped fouling.

Tonight, we were up 10 with 1 full minute left and would have been shooting one and one, and Clemson stopped fouling.

Obviously the chances of victory are very slim at that point, but it's not like we're talking a 30 point lead. Crazy comebacks from 8-10 down with a minute left due to missed free throws and a bunch of threes happen every year. I mean, I'm thankful the others teams did that for our benefit. I just think it's weird.
Agreed - feel like I’ve seen it a lot more this year. Fight until it’s over, a chance is a chance.

Tonight, we were up 10 with 1 full minute left and would have been shooting one and one, and Clemson stopped fouling.

Good post. I was shocked Clemson threw in the towel.

You know when a game is lost. Why keep prolonging it?
Because we're not talking an 87-53 situation between SU and Colgate. It's just a few possession game with a decent amount of time left.

Tonight, we were up 10 with 1 full minute left and would have been shooting one and one (and then two more one and ones after that), and Clemson stopped fouling.

Remember in football, dino not using his time outs in a 2 score game?

Maybe without the crowd in the building there is less emotion and more logic? Easier to wave the white flag?

Agree. Maybe part of it is we are a tremendous FT shooting team and coaches know intentionally fouling is not likely to work?

I mean last night Milwaukee had a 0 percent chance to beat Wright St when they were down 24 with 6:30 or so left, and won.

Last edited:
Just look back to the North Carolina game. They kept playing and almost pulled it off against Syracuse. They had two 4-point possessions (make first free throw, miss the second, get rebound, hit three pointer) down the stretch when that game should have been over.

Yeah. And even if it is improbable, you still use that opportunity to ‘train’ for the situation where you have slightly better odds. Play to win until you absolutely can’t win, then be a ‘good sport.’

I mean last night Columbia had a 0 percent chance to beat Wright St when they were down 24 with 6:30 or so left, and won.

I have to admit when SU was down 6 to UNC with 34 minutes left, I thought we had zero chance! (In my defense, they were absolutely playing badminton with rebounds on the offensive at the time, so...)

I think some coaches can be creatures of habit. If the game has been playing a certain way and your team hasn’t responded, there’s almost a sense of “well, it’s just not our night and we’ll get em next time”.
Totally disagree w/ it, but it happens.

Last edited:
You know when a game is lost. Why keep prolonging it?

I once watched Georgetown come back from down 10 with about 8 seconds left.

I was only watching because it's fun to watch them lose, but I digress.

Extremely unlikely end results happen, that is why you play the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom