This one is on MCW | Syracusefan.com

This one is on MCW

DeGrozz

All American
Missed free throws, bad passes, shooting and shot selection were terrible, he played poor defense, and had untimely turnovers and fouls... This was just not his day.

If he could have eliminated just one of those poor areas of his game we win.

Edit to add: I don't mean for this to be a vicious post, but I think if he eliminated his mistakes, this game is an 8 or 12 point win for Cuse. We need more from our floor general and hopeful lottery-pick.

No loss can be pinned on one individual. That is ludicrous, first off.

Second- entire team missed free throws, and no one seemed to box out on long threes. The ultimate reason for the loss.

Props to Temple. That was a CLINIC of how to beat the zone.

Second- entire team missed free throws, and no one seemed to box out on long threes. The ultimate reason for the loss.

True. But that being said, MCW was something like 7-15 from the line where Wyatt was a perfect 16-16. If he matches him or is even in the ballpark, we likely come away with the W. Though, this game was flat out won by Temple. They pounded us on the offensive glass, had more fast break points and was considerably better behind the arc. As you eluded, they really did put on a classic in how to break down and beat the zone...

Except CJ. 8-8

I hate to nitpick, but mcw is now 43-116 shooting on the year. That is 37 percent. As good as he's been in other areas he just hasn't finished like I thought he would.

Boxing out is a non factor on most long threes since the rebounds tend to come out long over the inside players. That happened a bunch of times this game when we were boxing out and when we weren't. The perimeter defenders need to be more aware of the long rebounds.

True. But that being said, MCW was something like 7-15 from the line where Wyatt was a perfect 16-16. If he matches him or is even in the ballpark, we likely come away with the W. Though, this game was flat out won by Temple. They pounded us on the offensive glass, had more fast break points and was considerably better behind the arc. They really put on a classic in how to break down and beat the zone...

I don't disagree. MCW's was a definite contributing factor; but it was one amongst a disheartening amount of others. I just want to add a couple of things here I have said in the chat room all year:

1) Syracuse will have a couple What losses.
2) At times MCW will force it when the going get's tough instead of letting the game come to him.

Today was the day. Remember- in 2002-2003 we lost our first game of the season. We will improve. Everything seemed to go wrong today.

Johnny hero wanted to score every time down the last 15 possessions. He has to take the brunt of the blame.

Boxing out is a non factor on most long threes since the rebounds tend to come out long over the inside players. That happened a bunch of times this game when we were boxing out and when we weren't. The perimeter defenders need to be more aware of the long rebounds.

Agreed. Long shots lead to long rebounds. It was obvious at times Temple simply wanted the ball more.

Agreed. Long shots lead to long rebounds. It was obvious at times Temple simply wanted the ball more.
I've always wondered what that meant. "wanted the ball more"

I don't disagree. MCW's was a definite contributing factor; but it was one amongst a disheartening amount of others. I just want to add a couple of things here I have said in the chat room all year:

1) Syracuse will have a couple What losses.
2) At times MCW will force it when the going get's tough instead of letting the game come to him.

Today was the day. Remember- in 2002-2003 we lost our first game of the season. We will improve. Everything seemed to go wrong today.
Quit being rational! This is no place for that! :)

We'd better get used to it. Teams will be raining 3s on us all season. Got to figure some way to rotate guys back for the long rebounds.

I've always wondered what that meant. "wanted the ball more"

Pursuit of the basketball on rebounds. I'm not a big fan of the term, just like the phrase "they need to make plays to win". Really? Revolutionary idea.

Anyway, their were a few times when we seemingly had the ball off a rebound, only to get it ripped away by a Temple player swooping in.

Pursuit of the basketball on rebounds. I'm not a big fan of the term, just like the phrase "they need to make plays to win". Really? Revolutionary idea.

Anyway, their were a few times when we seemingly had the ball off a rebound, only to get it ripped away by a Temple player swooping in.
Yeah. I guess you should grab the ball "like you mean it", whatever that means. ;)

It was a one possession game. You could literally pin this game on any player if you wanted.

If Fair didn't step out of bounds.

If Triche didn't miss a couple open shots from the free throw line.

If our bigs had taken away even one of Anthony Lee's offensive rebounds.

If we got one more loose ball.

We played poorly, Temple played great for themselves, and it was a one possession game.

Edit: Sidenote, I'm actually a little worried about CJ after this game. I know his numbers were fantastic, but it seemed like he really only took like 2 or 3 good shots in the entire game. A lot of just throwing the ball up and it happened to fall in. That isn't going to work consistently.

shooting 3-15 doesn't get it done. First game MCW has had to be a score first pg ever at syraucse. A good lesson to learn.

It was a one possession game. You could literally pin this game on any player if you wanted.

If Fair didn't step out of bounds.

If Triche didn't miss a couple open shots from the free throw line.

If our bigs had taken away even one of Anthony Lee's offensive rebounds.

If we got one more loose ball.

We played poorly, Temple played great for themselves, and it was a one possession game.

Edit: Sidenote, I'm actually a little worried about CJ after this game. I know his numbers were fantastic, but it seemed like he really only took like 2 or 3 good shots in the entire game. A lot of just throwing the ball up and it happened to fall in. That isn't going to work consistently.

Mistakes and bad plays happen, breaks don't go your way, you get a bad call, I know that, everyone knows that. When the mistakes start accumulating like they did for MCW today, that's when you really hurt your teams chances of winning. He's an elite player, but he made a ton of mistakes in today's game. When he's at his best, he's working the defense, finding other players for easy buckets, closing passing lanes with his long reach, etc. I just thought today he got away from his game, missed way too many free throws, had bad fouls (including fouling on a three), and was just trying to force things way too much. We obviously need him to be better than this during BE play, let's hope this was just a blip.

Mcw is not shooting the ball well period. It has been that way all year. The rest of his game is good, but we're not going anywhere with him shooting 37 percent on the season.

Mistakes and bad plays happen, breaks don't go your way, you get a bad call, I know that, everyone knows that. When the mistakes start accumulating like they did for MCW today, that's when you really hurt your teams chances of winning. He's an elite player, but he made a ton of mistakes in today's game. When he's at his best, he's working the defense, finding other players for easy buckets, closing passing lanes with his long reach, etc. I just thought today he got away from his game, missed way too many free throws, had bad fouls (including fouling on a three), and was just trying to force things way too much. We obviously need him to be better than this during BE play, let's hope this was just a blip.

1. He didn't foul Wyatt on that 3. Wyatt jumped into him.
2. I didn't think he really made too many bad decisions personally, but to each their own. He certainly forced a few shots, but everyone does that. He just didn't make his. CJ did the same thing and his happened to go in. The free throw shooting was easily the worst part of his game today. But even when he wasn't picking up assists, he was still making things happen.

At the end of the day, it was a bad game for him, but still probably had the 3rd or 4th best performance on our team today. That speaks both to how good he's been this year and how bad the rest of the team outside of CJ and Triche were today.

Free Throws:
Syracuse: 19/34
Temple: 29/36

That was the game; we were 11/28 from the line if you take away CJ, just horrid. What has happened to BT's ability to make FTs?

Playing on the national stage of MSG, MCW let his greatness get to his head and tried to do too much. It's a team game and a team loss, but he was the biggest contributor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Playing on the national stage of MSG, MCW let his greatness get to his head and tried to do too much. It's a team game and a team loss, but he was the biggest contributor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Well hopefully he got it out of his system. Waiters thrived in stages like this last year (although he wasn't great vs. OSU), we need MCW to be that guy this year. Fair, Southerland, Triche can all have solid games, but ultimately MCW drives the car.

Free Throws:
Syracuse: 19/34
Temple: 29/36

That was the game; we were 11/28 from the line if you take away CJ, just horrid. What has happened to BT's ability to make FTs?

I guess now we know how San Diego St. may have felt. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom