This one is on MCW | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This one is on MCW

I guess now we know how San Diego St. may have felt. :noidea:
Yeah but we pretty much dominated SDSU all afternoon, if they made 10 more FTs we still win. If MCW makes 2 or 3 more FTs today we probably win...

It was a one possession game. You could literally pin this game on any player if you wanted.

If Fair didn't step out of bounds.

If Triche didn't miss a couple open shots from the free throw line.

If our bigs had taken away even one of Anthony Lee's offensive rebounds.

If we got one more loose ball.

We played poorly, Temple played great for themselves, and it was a one possession game.

Edit: Sidenote, I'm actually a little worried about CJ after this game. I know his numbers were fantastic, but it seemed like he really only took like 2 or 3 good shots in the entire game. A lot of just throwing the ball up and it happened to fall in. That isn't going to work consistently.

You forgot to include the smiley face with your sidenote, because you can't be serious. Worst post of the year.

Playing on the national stage of MSG, MCW let his greatness get to his head and tried to do too much. It's a team game and a team loss, but he was the biggest contributor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well, I think that 'greatness' is part of the problem. Just, imo, way too many premature accolades, etc. given to someone that has yet to achieve anything of significance at the college level.

You forgot to include the smiley face with your sidenote, because you can't be serious. Worst post of the year.

1. There have been plenty of posts probably today alone that are worse than that.
2. You can disagree with my opinion of CJ's play if you want. I mean, it worked for him today. But he and MCW basically took the same exact shots. CJ forced a lot of crap up and it went in today, but I would like to see him get back to spotting up in the corner, crashing the glass, and then the occasional shot like he was forcing today.

Edit: I just don't want to see CJ start to think he can take those shots all the time and that they're good shots. You see the same thing with guys like Dion and LeBron too. If they get hot from 3 point range one game, they tend to come out and think they'll continue to hit them the next. It can take them away from what they're really good at. I don't want that to be the case with CJ.

Yeah but we pretty much dominated SDSU all afternoon, if they made 10 more FTs we still win. If MCW makes 2 or 3 more FTs today we probably win...

I diplomatically disagree. We jumped out to that quick 16-4 or whatever type early lead, but could not really ever seemingly put them away. SDSU had several opportunities to get the gap inside of of double digits, but never could hit that big shot to get on any run. Additionally, that game takes on a whole new face if SDSU had been even respectable from the ft...due to the added game pressure that would've ensued as a result, and being the first game and all...

Well, I think that 'greatness' is part of the problem. Just, imo, way too many premature accolades, etc. given to someone that has yet to achieve anything of significance at the college level.

Yet to achieve anything of significance? The guy put up what, the 3rd most assists in a game in Syracuse history? No, he hasn't dominated any Big East games yet, nor has he hit any game winners (though he did seal the Detroit game with his free throws, which is kinda ironic after today), but the guy is probably one of the best players we've had in awhile, and what accolades has he really been given?

Yet to achieve anything of significance? The guy put up what, the 3rd most assists in a game in Syracuse history? No, he hasn't dominated any Big East games yet, nor has he hit any game winners (though he did seal the Detroit game with his free throws, which is kinda ironic after today), but the guy is probably one of the best players we've had in awhile, and what accolades has he really been given?

Remember against nobodies. Let's get a little deeper into the season and revisit.

1. There have been plenty of posts probably today alone that are worse than that.
2. You can disagree with my opinion of CJ's play if you want. I mean, it worked for him today. But he and MCW basically took the same exact shots. CJ forced a lot of crap up and it went in today, but I would like to see him get back to spotting up in the corner, crashing the glass, and then the occasional shot like he was forcing today.

Edit: I just don't want to see CJ start to think he can take those shots all the time and that they're good shots. You see the same thing with guys like Dion and LeBron too. If they get hot from 3 point range one game, they tend to come out and think they'll continue to hit them the next. It can take them away from what they're really good at. I don't want that to be the case with CJ.

Listen, after a loss the blame game always happens. CJ and Baye get a pass today. They played great and I think your observation sucks. Without them today we get blown out. If you got a bone with CJ pick a bad performance not this one. You're only matters worse by trying to justify your bad post.

I diplomatically disagree. We jumped out to that quick 16-4 or whatever type early lead, but could not really ever seemingly put them away. SDSU had several opportunities to get the gap inside of of double digits, but never could hit that big shot to get on any run. Additionally, that game takes on a whole new face if SDSU had been even respectable from the ft...due to the added game pressure that would've ensued as a result, and being the first game and all...
True, I see your point. Steve Fisher's whole game plan that day was horrible, they kept shooting jumpshots despite the weather.

It just seems to me that our missed FT's today were bigger than SDSU's in that game; but I am a Syracuse fan, so I might be biased there.

Listen, after a loss the blame game always happens. CJ and Baye get a pass today. They played great and I think your observation sucks. Without them today we get blown out. If you got a bone with CJ pick a bad performance not this one. You're only matters worse by trying to justify your bad post.

CJ is my favorite player outside of MCW. I have no bone to pick. He had a great game. That doesn't mean I think that those are shots he should be taking going forwards. He made a lot of bail-out shots.

Playing on the national stage of MSG, MCW let his greatness get to his head and tried to do too much. It's a team game and a team loss, but he was the biggest contributor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That's it in a nutshell, bees. Not that SU couldn't have won the game (any 5 additional made FTs would have done it), but MCW has to take away the following "lessons":
1. You may have NBA-ready court vision, passing ability and athleticism, but you've still got work to do on finishing drives. Someday you'll be a good shooter, but that day hasn't come yet. Of our guards, Triche is the better finisher at this point.
2. There's a reason teams leave you open for 3-pt shots...you aren't making them. Pick better options.
2. Unless you expect to be an 80% FT shooter, don't think of yourself as "the answer" at clutch time. Do what you do best and find the hot hand/open man. (If I were JB and the team had the chance to shoot a technical foul in this game, I'd have sent CJ to the line; he was wired!)
3. Know your limitations and play within your game, especially at crunch time. I know you want to put the team on your back at the end of the game, but you have to do it within the limits of your talent.

Bottom line: MCW was his own worst enemy today. Great talent, exciting to watch, a pleasure to play with as a teammate, a good floor general, but still with much to learn.-VBOF

P.S.: Khalif Wyatt exhibited the parts of MCW's game that are missing.

If putting up the 3rd most assists in one game makes him great in your view, sobeit, I simply do not agree. I'm not saying that in and of itself (again one game) wasn't impressive, but this is only the 11th game of the season. He, barely played at all last season, and as result, reportedly wanted to leave the program. He faced his stiffest test this year, and, for the most part, got schooled by Wyatt. Let's see how well he does in BE play, when the competition significantly increases.

We have had a lot of talent in recent years, maybe he is one of our best players on the team, but I'll await results (at minimal, at least one complete season) and clutch wins he brings us before I deem him to be 'great.' I guess accolades wasn't a good word choice, but all this gone to the NBA, lottery pick certainty stuff, etc. after this season, is more or less what I was referring to.

Missed free throws, bad passes, shooting and shot selection were terrible, he played poor defense, and had untimely turnovers and fouls... This was just not his day.

If he could have eliminated just one of those poor areas of his game we win.

Edit to add: I don't mean for this to be a vicious post, but I think if he eliminated his mistakes, this game is an 8 or 12 point win for Cuse. We need more from our floor general and hopeful lottery-pick.
There is plenty of players you can point a finger at. The ones supposedly the ones that should dominate rebounding and the inside game were not doing so today including our big man DC2When Jimmy pulls him in the first five minutes he must not be happy either. Rak didn't finish a number of times including picking up and away with floor balls r the more conventional loose balls. Ateam loss . Failing on a free throw is like asking your kicker to nail a 45 yard fgin the last minyte to pull your ass out of the deep fryer.

That's it in a nutshell, bees. Not that SU couldn't have won the game (any 5 additional made FTs would have done it), but MCW has to take away the following "lessons":
1. You may have NBA-ready court vision, passing ability and athleticism, but you've still got work to do on finishing drives. Someday you'll be a good shooter, but that day hasn't come yet. Of our guards, Triche is the better finisher at this point.
2. There's a reason teams leave you open for 3-pt shots...you aren't making them. Pick better options.
2. Unless you expect to be an 80% FT shooter, don't think of yourself as "the answer" at clutch time. Do what you do best and find the hot hand/open man. (If I were JB and the team had the chance to shoot a technical foul in this game, I'd have sent CJ to the line; he was wired!)
3. Know your limitations and play within your game, especially at crunch time. I know you want to put the team on your back at the end of the game, but you have to do it within the limits of your talent.

Bottom line: MCW was his own worst enemy today. Great talent, exciting to watch, a pleasure to play with as a teammate, a good floor general, but still with much to learn.-VBOF

P.S.: Khalif Wyatt exhibited the parts of MCW's game that are missing.

Excellent post!

Boxing out is a non factor on most long threes since the rebounds tend to come out long over the inside players. That happened a bunch of times this game when we were boxing out and when we weren't. The perimeter defenders need to be more aware of the long rebounds.
Boxing out should be high end DC talent.i.e. if he isn'tgoing for the ball himself and sctually coming down with it without having it stripped away.:cool:

I would say he was the #1 factor to why we lost. The way he played on offense was perplexing. He was going to the hoop way to often looking for his own shot, while fighting contact and throwing up junk. Not to mention, the refs bailed him out at least 3 times on terrible shots. I understand him trying to be a leader and putting the team on his back, but how could he not see his shots weren't falling? And honestly, they weren't that close.

Free throws; nothing needs to be said. Gotta knock em down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom