This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle | Syracusefan.com

This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
I know a lot of fans want to see us run the ball better (wouldn't hurt) and personally I think we have a few too many east/west routes in the tree that defenses are figuring out, but this is the passing attack I've always dreamed of for the Dome.

Nixon and McCord are proving right before our eyes that it's possible. That's what we needed, the proof of concept.

I'm almost certain our starting QB next season will come from the portal (cough Angeli cough). McCord was sold on the relationships he had. QB1 next season will be sold on McCord's success. Same with the WR position. Jackson Meeks is a stellar case study in getting the right chance to show what he can do. He's on pace to catch 60 some passes after a career at Georgia where he caught all of 10 over 3 years. Portal WRs with talent that aren't in the right situation are going to notice that.

Sustain it this season, get the right talent next season, and then make it the norm next season.

I know a lot of fans want to see us run the ball better (wouldn't hurt) and personally I think we have a few too many east/west routes in the tree that defenses are figuring out, but this is the passing attack I've always dreamed of for the Dome.

Nixon and McCord are proving right before our eyes that it's possible. That's what we needed, the proof of concept.

I'm almost certain our starting QB next season will come from the portal (cough Angeli cough). McCord was sold on the relationships he had. QB1 next season will be sold on McCord's success. Same with the WR position. Jackson Meeks is a stellar case study in getting the right chance to show what he can do. He's on pace to catch 60 some passes after a career at Georgia where he caught all of 10 over 3 years. Portal WRs with talent that aren't in the right situation are going to notice that.

Sustain it this season, get the right talent next season, and then make it the norm next season.
And next year when Fran blows the Sox off an overconfident Tennessee in the opening game, recruiting floodgates will open.

"This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle "​

you mean like LOVE , HATE , FORGIVENESS , and Jeezus that was Pass Interference ?

"This passing attack will become a virtuous cycle "​

you mean like LOVE , HATE , FORGIVENESS , and Jeezus that was Pass Interference ?
I, uh, not what I was thinking of at first, but if that works for you, let's try it.

I hope this is true. I think it's more about Fran's recruiting ability though. We all thought after the years AET and Ishmael had and how much we threw the ball Dino's first three years, WRs would be lining up to play for us. I have more confidence in Fran's ability to keep it going.

Last edited:
I hope this is true. I think it's more about Fran's recruiting ability though. We all thought after the the years AET and Ishmael had and how much we threw the ball Dino's first three years WRs would be lining up to play for us. I have more confidence in Fran's ability to keep it going.
The thing different this go around is we're doing it with a drop back passer.

Dungey was a really good college QB, but McCord is preparing for the level beyond that. I think that matters.

The thing different this go around is we're doing it with a drop back passer.

Dungey was a really good college QB, but McCord is preparing for the level beyond that. I think that matters.
We differ on that. I don't think recruits pay attention to if it's a drop back or dual threat. Most of the highly drafted QBs lately have been duel threats. I just think Fran is a better recruiter and understands better the importance of establishing recruiting in our region.

Last edited:
We differ on that. I don't think recruits pay attention to if it's a drop back or duel threat. Most of the highly drafted QBs lately have been duel threats. I just think Fran is a better recruiter and understands better the importance of establishing recruiting in our region.
Ah, not what I meant. I see your point and don't disagree.

I mean not having a dual threat QB proves we can be fully passing oriented in a way that having a dual threat QB doesn't. Babers tried to prove that out with Devito and couldn't. Fran is proving it out with McCord.

I mean not having a dual threat QB proves we can be fully passing oriented in a way that having a dual threat QB doesn't. Babers tried to prove that out with Devito and couldn't. Fran is proving it out with McCord.
I think what he's proving is that he can recruit a more complete team, especially on offense, and that he has a better OC. Dual threat doesn't mean a guy can't pass. We just think that because we haven't had a really good passing dual threat since McNabb (I'll accept Dungey but despite his numbers he didn't have elite passing ability). Put McNabb, Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, etc on this team and we would still prove we could throw and draw guys.

Sometimes people get too caught up in what style player a guy is. You see good teams recruit different types of players and adapt all the time. Saban had Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron and eventually went from Jalen Hurts to Tua Tagovailoa to Mac Jones to Bryce Young. If he can't choose a specific style and stay with it, I don't think it's smart for anyone to do that. It's not realistic to think we're going to get McCord clones or that trying to do that will be the key to sustained success. Stringing together winning seasons is what will do that. That was Dino's failure. He had 2018, but, despite the electric offenses the prior two years, they were losing seasons. Then he couldn't put enough of a team around Devito to build on 2018.

I think what he's proving is that he can recruit a more complete team, especially on offense, and that he has a better OC. Dual threat doesn't mean a guy can't pass. We just think that because we haven't had a really good passing dual threat since McNabb (I'll accept Dungey but despite his numbers he didn't have elite passing ability). Put McNabb, Bo Nix, Caleb Williams, etc on this team and we would still prove we could throw and draw guys.

Sometimes people get too caught up in what style player a guy is. You see good teams recruit different types of players and adapt all the time. Saban had Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron and eventually went from Jalen Hurts to Tua Tagovailoa to Mac Jones to Bryce Young. If he can't choose a specific style and stay with it, I don't think it's smart for anyone to do that. It's not realistic to think we're going to get McCord clones or that trying to do that will be the key to sustained success. Stringing together winning seasons is what will do that. That was Dino's failure. He had 2018, but, despite the electric offenses the prior two years, they were losing seasons. Then he couldn't put enough of a team around Devito to build on 2018.
I'm not opposed to us continuing with a dual threat QB either, it's just like you said, they need to be a legitimate passer. I think Dungey is the lower boundary for passing ability we need. Even Shredder wasn't quite there.

Last edited:

I agree Otto. The thing is Kyle has had experience coming in that we may not find in a portal QB.
He's been coached well and his legs, throwing motion, hip rotation are all very, very good. He also is a very smart QB with a great arm.

As long as HCFB can find someone with the same skills and mental aptitude for football we'll be in good shape and continue the level of passing we are enjoying now.

I worry that it is a perfect storm. It will be hard to get a QB anywhere nearly as good a McCord. On top of that Pena and OG have been huge in this O. Will either be back next year? If not, how the heck do we replace them. Meeks has been great but I think that spot is easier to find a guy. Plus what of Allen? His pass catching has been big. Is he back? Not easy to find RBs who can catch like that.

When you can throw you have a chance in every game. There were games the past few seasons where we knew we had zero shot because we couldn’t move the ball against good defenses.

I worry that it is a perfect storm. It will be hard to get a QB anywhere nearly as good a McCord. On top of that Pena and OG have been huge in this O. Will either be back next year? If not, how the heck do we replace them. Meeks has been great but I think that spot is easier to find a guy. Plus what of Allen? His pass catching has been big. Is he back? Not easy to find RBs who can catch like that.
I think the idea is Tremble steps into the OG role.

Pena has been great but I think between the young guys and the portal we can find someone to cover his role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom