This seals Calhoun's legacy. | Syracusefan.com

This seals Calhoun's legacy.

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
He passed off the program to Ollie and they won again.

With all the speculation going on here with JB and Hop, let's hope we can do the same.

Word is Calhoun is actually coaching both the men's and women's teams.

Word is Calhoun is actually coaching both the men's and women's teams.

We like to blame UConn's rise on our NCAA probation. The fact is that Calhoun is the greatest coach of his generation. This year is more proof. UConn was a nothing program forever and look what he made of them. A hard pill to swallow but the truth.

We like to blame UConn's rise on our NCAA probation. The fact is that Calhoun is the greatest coach of his generation. This year is more proof. UConn was a nothing program forever and look what he made of them. A hard pill to swallow but the truth.
Not questioning Calhoun's amazing accomplishments at UConn. But fact is he got his 1 st big star recruit by stealing Donyell Marshall who was all set to go to Cuse following his idol, Billy Owens, by negative recruiting telling Marshall that he'd never play in the NCAAT because Cuse would be banned for years.

With this title UConn has solidified itself as among the previous "Big Four" - Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, and now Connecticut.

Congrats to them, they have certainly earned it.

With this title UConn has solidified itself as among the previous "Big Four" - Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, and now Connecticut.

Congrats to them, they have certainly earned it.

Not so fast. Those programs all have great history and look like they'll continue to be strong (power conference affiliations). UConn is not in that boat. It takes more than 1.5 decades of success to be mentioned with the these big dogs. UConn is more like a less successful UCLA, in that they've had a lot of success in a short period of time. Not bad company at all, but they're not in with the 4 teams you mentioned.

Coaching: Calhoun > Boeheim , you play to win championships.

Morals: Boeheim > Calhoun, but that translates to zero on the court.

Not so fast. Those programs all have great history and look like they'll continue to be strong (power conference affiliations). UConn is not in that boat. It takes more than 1.5 decades of success to be mentioned with the these big dogs. UConn is more like a less successful UCLA, in that they've had a lot of success in a short period of time. Not bad company at all, but they're not in with the 4 teams you mentioned.

Yeah, that's a bit excessive. Let's see how they do post-Calhoun. I compare this championship to the one Fisher won with Frieder's players at UM. Yeah, he brought in the Fab Five but they never won it again.

I was wondering what Hop was thinking last night as he saw Ollie win an NC after replacing Calhoun while he is still sitting as an assistant waiting for his chance.

Yeah, that's a bit excessive. Let's see how they do post-Calhoun. I compare this championship to the one Fisher won with Frieder's players at UM. Yeah, he brought in the Fab Five but they never won it again.
Fisher has more than proven himself as a great basketball coach since then.

Fisher has more than proven himself as a great basketball coach since then.

He's very good, no doubt. But he's not special. Maybe Ollie will be. My point is that I'm not sure that this team is proof of Ollie's "special-ness" (and so guarantees their inclusion in the Big Four for the forseeable future). Napier and Boatright willed this team to the championship and those guys are Calhoun guys. This was Calhoun's team even though he wasn't on the sidelines.

He passed off the program to Ollie and they won again.

With all the speculation going on here with JB and Hop, let's hope we can do the same.
his legacy was already sealed

the only guys with more NC are wooden, rupp, and k. maybe this moves him past knight

his legacy was already sealed

the only guys with more NC are wooden, rupp, and k. maybe this moves him past knight

No argument in terms of where he ranks, or that he needed anything else to prove. There has to be great satisfaction on his part that the program prospered past his tenure. People try to do that in all kinds of fields and fail. For instance, Wooden's shadow has been more of a burden than an aid at UCLA.

No argument in terms of where he ranks, or that he needed anything else to prove. There has to be great satisfaction on his part that the program prospered past his tenure. People try to do that in all kinds of fields and fail. For instance, Wooden's shadow has been more of a burden than an aid at UCLA.

The program won a Title with mostly guys Calhoun recruited. Let's give it a couple years and see how Ollie's doing. Not saying the program will go downhill, but I'm not saying it will build on this season's success either.

It's very likely that Syracuse will post 20+ wins in the years immediately following Boeheim's retirement, if the keys are handed over to Hop. Why? Because Hop will be running largely the same offense and defense, with Boeheim's players. Does that mean the program will continue to win 20+ every year? Not necessarily.

Ollie won a title with guys who were recruited to play in the Big East and in Madison Square Garden. They have a huge hurdle with respect to TV money. And if Ollie doesn't win big again but succeeds relative to expectations he may get lured off to the NBA (he's not coaching anywhere else in college). Then what do they do?

Ollie won a title with guys who were recruited to play in the Big East and in Madison Square Garden. They have a huge hurdle with respect to TV money. And if Ollie doesn't win big again but succeeds relative to expectations he may get lured off to the NBA (he's not coaching anywhere else in college). Then what do they do?

In the main, I agree 100%. But I'm not predicting against them anymore, since the opposite of everything that I rooted for came true this past season.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: he is the best coach of the 64(+) team era

K won 4 titles in a slightly longer time frame at a private school. ... And didn't have Some of the s...show seasons Calhoun did.

K's been better over the 30 year period. Calhoun over a 20 year. Pretty even over a 25 year.

K won 4 titles in a slightly longer time frame at a private school. ... And didn't have Some of the s...show seasons Calhoun did.
but K took over a program that was already on very solid ground . . . Calhoun took UConn from as close to nothing as you could get in a Big East squad. Without that hire, UConn very easily could have been Rutgers for the last quarter century.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom