This stuff just isn't fair anymore | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

This stuff just isn't fair anymore

way i look at it oregon has no bearing on really any kids we recruit or direct competition on the playing field.. so i don't give a flying fagoon... however i bet if we played them in the natl title game this year we would beat them...

I believe donations to a University are considered "charitable contributions" under the IRS code. Much like donations to a church.

washington_lds_mormon_temple2.jpg

I believe only partially deductible.

maybe all the other schools should sign shoe contracts with Addidas and tell them to stick it were the sun doesn't shine with their g-town platinum unies

Wouldn't the free haircuts be an NCAA violation? Or is team barber now a legal position? Oh thats right he could just be an assistant trainer who happens to be a barber right? :rolleyes:

Saw somewhere that Oregon says the haircuts are available to all students for the same price. Didn't see how regular students would access the barber shop.

Javadoc- my point about level playing field is that the NCAA uses that as an excuse for why there are so many rules. I think we can agree that hundreds of pages of rules aren't accomplishing that in the least.

I know people think the IPF is going to put SU back in the race, but notice the other schools that are spending more for academic support facilities. SU is well behind the curve in terms of space/staff in many of the supplemental areas like academics, nutrition (dining), sports psychologist, conditioning. It's going to take a huge investment of ACC $ to be competitive outside of coaching salaries and travel budgets.

Bitch and moan about UO all you want. Yes, they should play by the rules, and if caught, they should be punished. But they have cultivated a big time donor. That's the game. SU has people with wealth just like Phil Knight (figuratively speaking; don't know PK's net worth). SU needs to do a better job of getting them to buy in and pony up.

Bitch and moan about UO all you want. Yes, they should play by the rules, and if caught, they should be punished. But they have cultivated a big time donor. That's the game. SU has people with wealth just like Phil Knight (figuratively speaking; don't know PK's net worth). SU needs to do a better job of getting them to buy in and pony up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal

Forbes says he's worth $20bil, Al-Waleed himself claims he's worth $26bil. Although he's now down $10mil.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...l-gaddafi-jet_n_3681349.html?utm_hp_ref=world

So I have not seen NFL facilities, but I have to imagine these are at LEAST as nice as pro football facilities, right? In fact, I'd be willing to bet these are nicer than probably 95% of pro football teams.

Because holy crap, really, those facilities are insane.

Again, this is what happens when a Fortune 500 company buys a football team.

There's no reason for us, or anyone really, to compare ourselves to Oregon (or Bama) in the arms race. Compared to our peer group and even some of the teams above that, our new stuff is very competitive. Remember, it's only one piece of the puzzle.

Wouldn't the free haircuts be an NCAA violation? Or is team barber now a legal position? Oh thats right he could just be an assistant trainer who happens to be a barber right? :rolleyes:

This kind of speaks to the absurdity of NCAA regulations...a booster can build a lavish, $40+ million facility, but if that same booster subsidizes a few $10 haircuts, THAT is where the line has been crossed.

This kind of speaks to the absurdity of NCAA regulations...a booster can build a lavish, $40+ million facility, but if that same booster subsidizes a few $10 haircuts, THAT is where the line has been crossed.

spot on- i still think its dumb that if a local merchant wants to give an athlete a discount or something free that its a violation.

There's no reason for us, or anyone really, to compare ourselves to Oregon (or Bama) in the arms race. Compared to our peer group and even some of the teams above that, our new stuff is very competitive. Remember, it's only one piece of the puzzle.

Agreed. Cuse's closest peers across the board (athletics, admission rate, endowment, enrollment, expenses, median SAT, etc.) are BC, USC, Northwestern, Univ of Miami, and Vanderbilt. Throw in Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Wake Forest for competitive comparison and those are the schools that we should be comparing ourselves with.

Let's not forget the Kentucky basketball dorm:

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/kentuckys-housing-chef-flat-screens/153247

chef, but no barber
What?! that's the first time i've seen that. I honestly have no problem with Oregon's facility, but this one really gets under my skin (mostly cause we actually DO compete with Kentucky for recruits). When you compare that housing to south campus appts (that's where bball players live, right?), I mean, that's actually a major advantage.

Agreed. Cuse's closest peers across the board (athletics, admission rate, endowment, enrollment, expenses, median SAT, etc.) are BC, USC, Northwestern, Univ of Miami, and Vanderbilt. Throw in Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Wake Forest for competitive comparison and those are the schools that we should be comparing ourselves with.

Indeed -- that was the point of my Duke Lacrosse locker room post.

If college sports comes to this kind of BS, it isn't college sports anymore. Many recruits will be turned on by the type of flash and dash that a program like Kentucky or Oregon has, but most worth their weight on the field and in mental capacity will see through the ruby colored glasses.

In the last fifteen years college athletics has changed from a game to a business, but you will see that in the long haul, the business will fade and the game will prevail. Hope this makes sense. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom