This team is done. | Syracusefan.com

This team is done.

JJReddawg

All Conference
5-7 season.

Almost lost to Wake, Toledo, and Tulane.

We expected this year to be a step back, but this is much more than that.

I like Doug, but next year he has to be on the hot seat. No doubt about it.

the problem is, we can't keep firing coaches. One, it makes us look stupid. Second, it makes it look like an unwinnable place. let's see how this season plays out before we call it 5-7.

He really hasn't done much more than GROB other than knowing how to manage the clock and win more than 50% of coin-flip games

He really hasn't done much more than GROB other than knowing how to manage the clock and win more than 50% of coin-flip games
Huh? Where you been, man?

I know this team looks bad right now, but the ARE making slow, but steady progress. GRob ran this team into the ground, where it was regarded as one of the worst teams in Division 1A.

This team is a far cry from that, IMO.

Poppy, you can hate Marrone. I mean really hate him. But you have to realize that whatever he is, good, bad or somewhere in between, he is way better then G-rob. G-rob was a failure at every aspect of college football coaching. He did nothing well. The recruiting is better. The team fights harder. Doug may or may not be the guy. But g-rob was a failure.

OMG..if we score at start of 4th qtr...we could we this game...what is amazing is how poorly we play we could have won 7 games by now...geez...c'mon 'Cuse win one so we can go bowling

I agree that GROB sucks. I never said otherwise. I'm just saying that Marrone ain't all that. GROB lost more than his fair share of 50-50 games. Marrone has won more than his fair share of toss-ups. Regress that to the mean and they look pretty similar.

In baseball, one of the advanced stats is batting average on balls put in play. If a pitcher is doing significant;y above the norm, he's likely to come down to earth, and vice-versa. I think this is similar. By my calculation, before tonight, Marrone is 9-4 in games decided by 7 points or less. GROB is 5-5. I attribute that to Marrone's clock/game management skills.

If Marrone won those games at the same (lower) rate as GROB, (say 6-7), he'd be 14-21. Normalize it further for the fact that GROB played only 1 FCS team while Marrone played 4 (say, by pretending the 3 games extra FCS games were never played), and he's 11-21. Or you could say he would have gone 1-2 in those 3 extra FCS games if payed against FBS schools (roughly similar % as 14-21), and he's 12-23. Any way you slice it, neither coach has been very good.

Poppy, you can hate Marrone. I mean really hate him. But you have to realize that whatever he is, good, bad or somewhere in between, he is way better then G-rob. G-rob was a failure at every aspect of college football coaching. He did nothing well. The recruiting is better. The team fights harder. Doug may or may not be the guy. But g-rob was a failure.

LOL. Marrone is nowhere near the hot seat. Its funny that with all the praise he received last yr, now people think hes on the hot seat. Also, lets see how we perform and how recruiting goes when we transition to the ACC. But he proved himself last yr and i think it earned him 3 more years. If were still this bad in 3 yrs- then yes, he'll be on the hot seat.